AMA - Volume 2 - Nokia 9 PureView

All your questions answered! Know everything about the Nokia 9— from imaging specifics, design, to the latest updates!

AMA - Volume 2 - Nokia 9 PureView

matteo.m matteo.m
Staff member  /  edited April 1

All your questions answered! Know everything about the Nokia 9— from imaging specifics, design, to the latest updates!

Comments

• Kartik Gada Kartik Gada
    ✭✭✭  / 
    madbilly said:
    @matteo.m thanks for the new video. Were they really all the questions you got about the 9 PureView? Nobody asked why there was no uSD card support, dedicated camera shutter button, no 3.5mm headset socket, etc? 
    I forgot about the missing sd card slot and camera button which are very important for any camera phone. I can live without a headphone jack and use type c but that's personal preference. 🙂
    madbilly said:
    Some answers were a little bit too positive - I understand that in marketing you always try to give a positive message, but some I can't really believe. Is gorilla glass 5 really stronger than aluminium in a drop test? Really?! Can aluminium can crack and shatter like glass can? Er, no, only if it's very very cold ;)
    As Juho said, adding wireless charging would have been impossible on a full metal smartphone so, glass is the only way and GG5 is better than GG3 when it comes to protection from falls. Also, missing out on Wireless Charging would have added an extra negative point for reviewers.

Not sure if it would be possible but what if they use a small piece of glass at the back of the phone that will be used to stick the wireless charging coil and rest of the device made out of full metal. I mean a cutout in the back panel in a square or any other shape which is then covered by glass with wireless charging coil? To make it look beautiful they can design it in a way that it looks a unique design at the back of the phone. sweat_smilesweat_smilesweat_smilesweat_smile
    madbilly said:
    @Kartik Gada I think that feature updates are implicit in "just keeps getting better". But HMD may mean that this only applies to the OS version updates, which I know is not what you mean. @matteo.m what HMD could do to improve this is to replicate what old Nokia did with the Lumia updates - give them different names from the OS version updates, e.g. Lumia Amber, Black, Cyan, Denim. "Branding" an update to give it a Nokia flavour may actually be a good thing anyway.
    That keeps getting better on Android One is like better and new bugs hehe. Not sure if giving names to updates will be possible on Android One? It might create confusion and there won't be a lot to bring in terms of new features due to Android One. This could be easily done with a custom UI and would be a nice addition. I remember the updates on Lumia. Every new update brought so many new changes but this was also due to the reason that WP was not as mature as Android so the changes felt huge improvements. :smile:

Let's hope someday HMD creates two device lineups. One with Custom UI and a promise of Quarterly Security updates and two years of os updates and the 2nd device lineup with a couple of phones running Android Go and Android One. This will simplify a lot of things and also give more time to develop other things and not just stay focussed on delivering monthly security updates to two dozen devices. Relieve yourself and focus on something better.  :)

Google's Android is not usable. They want to push stock Android but the bugs are a headache.
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    @madbilly Maybe the bone gets stuck on "Android One" and HMD's likely inability to implement features and improvements. For example, even the depth editing on the 9PV is being done within the Google Photos app. There's only so much you can do with a 3rd party product vs something you develop on your own to make the best use of the hardware you have developed. While I perfectly understand that the 9PV shoots and stores the data in a format which is compatible with the Google Photos, but then it is not your own app. So, in order to make improvements to it, they would actually need to wait for Google to implement such changes within their app. Google more or less develops the photos app to complement its Pixel phones and it might not be the perfect fit for somebody else. 
    This also limits HMD's learning ability. If they do not control an app for their products, they will never gather enough feedback and be able to improve it or modify it the way its users want.

Android One is probably also restricting them to give a changelog as to what changes have been brought into an update. They only say "System stability" at best. Compare that to any other OEM or even their own Chinese ROM and we'll see a detailed changelog. It is a nice feeling to know what our dear devs have been doing in front of their PCs for a couple of months. So, we should know better what is included in our new Maintainance Release update. Too sad that we will never know what camera changes will be brought into the phones in the future. At least we won't hear from HMD and they will silently be made part of the devices via an update we have no right to skip/postpone.

The Lumia updates had something. They were Microsoft's stuff + Nokia's additions (via several system apps). We now miss things the same way Samsung/HTC Windows Phone users were when Nokia was the Windows Phone boss. We only get what Google makes +/- nothing (well, except the Camera app?).

@Kartik Gada I really want them to improve their phones over time. But given the fact that we have seen very minimal improvements and attention given to the Nokia 8 Sirocco, I am afraid from inside. Also due to the fact that they have mentioned the 9PV to be a limited edition product. Quite naturally, they (or any sane OEM) would deply resources where the major chunk of its users are. I'll keep my fingers crossed and would hope that HMD also gives the great buyers a great ROI from the product by delivering regular improvements and updates and not letting them feel lost or left behind :)
    ✭✭✭  / 
    @singhnsk Exactly, I feel like they are relying way too much on Google and their apps. It's like they don't want to develop their own apps and just want to use readymade apps from Google. Is this their incompetence? Don't know. But a dev on xda who is famous for his gcam ports for Nokia 7 Plus just made a voice recorder app for Nokia smartphones that records spatial audio by using OZO Audio tech on supported Nokia smartphones. This should have been done by HMD since the start but they still haven't made an official voice recorder app. Why?

If this was done under real Nokia, there would have been many many cool extra features in the camera app of Nokia 9 PV or the gallery app. Man, even the low-end old Lumias could do some cool tricks with the camera app and those lenses feature. They need to start developing apps on their own and stop relying on FIH or those evenwell.

Greater the ROI more satisfied the customer, A person who purchases a flagship smartphone has way more expectations than those who purchase a budget device. They can't improve their low-end devices so much but there's a lot to improve in their flagship device lineup and every small improvement makes a consumer happy. This will help them in the long run and builds a strong relationship with the customer. A limited edition phone should be given special attention is what I feel. 
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Meanwhile, I am waiting for a fully open AMA via Reddit. Will really appreciate if HMD connects better with the Nokia users and fans. And I also expect that more HMD employees at the higher positions come out and engage with us, talk, dicuss and take the feedback and develop the products based on it. Let's make it a family rather than a one-sided story. The Canadian Prime Minister does go out in public and universities and takes random questions happily. Wish it was more like that here too :hushed:
  • stipe1906 stipe1906
    ✭✭✭  / 
    I don't know if someone pointed that out, but Juho said fans love wireless charging and you can't do it on aluminum phones, which is right. But why from all the glass back phones HMD announced only 2 support wireless charging? Nokia 8.1 was an ideal candidate for it. Even the new X71 :D
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    @stipe1906 Let's keep that for the next AMA 👻

• nokianchetan nokianchetan
    ✭✭✭  / 
    @stipe1906 Agree That HMD Can't Do Wireless Charging on Alluminium Phones , Till Now Wireless Charging is Limited tot Premium or Flagship Phones . But For The Midrange Segment Why They Are Not Making Alluminium Phones AnyMore ?

About The Nokia 9 Pureview, Can We Use Flash While Shooting On Mannual Shutter Speed ? I Don't Think So Because Other Phones With It Can't Use Flash  , But The Same Thing I Can Do On My Nokia Lumia 625 

Another Thing "Pause" Button Is Missing While Shooting Video . 

Camera App Needs "Voice Capture " Speciallly For Nokia 9 Pureview While Shooting On 10 sec. shutterspeed 

HMD Should Provide Full Version Of Adobe Lightroom Licence Copy Atleast For One Year 

And Last Thing The "Pureview" Branding Should beThere  on Back Pannel 🙂
    ✭✭✭  / 
    @stipe1906 Agree That HMD Can't Do Wireless Charging on Alluminium Phones , Till Now Wireless Charging is Limited tot Premium or Flagship Phones . But For The Midrange Segment Why They Are Not Making Alluminium Phones AnyMore ?
    Nokia after introducing Wireless charging on their flagship Lumia 920 also pushed that feature to their mid-range devices like the Lumia 720. Same can be done today with devices like the 6.1 Plus and 7.1. That would be a very big selling point in this price range. But then will the users of these devices actually be buying the wireless chargers? Some might and some may not. So, it is better to keep costs low and offer mid-range devices at an aggressive price point. However, they could have included in a 7.1 which came at a premium price tag and this could have been a good addition.

Now coming to devices like the Nokia X71 and Nokia 8.1 which are priced higher and belong to the upper mid-range segment, Nokia Mobile should have included the wireless charging feature on these devices. They aren't making aluminium phones anymore because of market demand. I know how premium it feels a real metal phone feel but people want shiny devices with glass backs. So, they have to make what the market demands.
    About The Nokia 9 Pureview, Can We Use Flash While Shooting On Mannual Shutter Speed ? I Don't Think So Because Other Phones With It Can't Use Flash  , But The Same Thing I Can Do On My Nokia Lumia 625 

Another Thing "Pause" Button Is Missing While Shooting Video . 
    The flash works in the Pro Mode but it doesn't work as it used to on Lumia devices. The flash just fires once and then the lens stays open for 4 seconds with the flash not firing. Maybe this works differently but I don't understand how a lens can gather info in extremely dark conditions after the flash turns off.

They should include a pause button. The current situation is similar to the Lumia Camera app. No pause button while recording video.
    Camera App Needs "Voice Capture " Speciallly For Nokia 9 Pureview While Shooting On 10 sec. shutterspeed 

HMD Should Provide Full Version Of Adobe Lightroom Licence Copy Atleast For One Year 

And Last Thing The "Pureview" Branding Should beThere  on Back Pannel 🙂
    You can use the timer and set it to 3 seconds until this feature arrives. Not sure if they will even add it. And yes, they should give access to premium lightroom cc to the buyers of Nokia 9 PureView.

Yup, I agree. Devices with PureView should have that branding at the back near the camera. :)
  • Kartik Gada said:
    OS and Security Updates - Check
    Design and Build Quality - Check
    But what about updates that bring new Features?

Will Nokia 9 PureView get more features in future which will add more value to the phone?
    Nokia 9 PureView is great for photography but what about video recording? For example, other smartphones with SD845 support Super Slow Motion recording. Will Nokia 9 PureView get this via an update in future which I feel it should get. This will make the buyers happy and satisfied with their purchases.

The Pro Mode is slightly improved but there is still more room for improvements like adding more shutter speed options, iso options, exposure values and manual focus. Will the Nokia 9 PureView get these via upcoming updates?

HMD needs to provide all these and many more features via updates which will "really" make this device better over time. This is how Nokia 9 PureView will get better and better. This what a flagship phone deserves.

I feel all requests go to deaf ears and no one at the top listens. I hope things change and buyers of this cameraphone don't have to go through the same as the owners of the Nokia 8 and the Nokia 8 Sirocco. These two devices were extremely capable but I don't understand why they never got the love they deserved.

Nokia 8 - SD835 at an affordable price with a great build and beautiful design but could have done so much better if it got the photo and video recording features present in other flagships with similar hardware. Same goes for the Nokia 8 Sirocco. Made out of steel (strongest phone from HMD till now) in a tiny form factor with a curved display which was not utilised just because of Android One. Had it been a custom UI it could have done wonders.

I don't want to sound negative and all but please listen to the users. This is all we want from Nokia Mobile.

Thankyou. :)

Yes, the biggest problem is android one. Every time I look at my wife's s10e I kick myself in the ****. Android one is just so basic, ugly, and uncustomizable. Also the lack of any edge touch rejection or screen shrink/pull down makes useless one handed. Really hope they do have some serious software updates.
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited April 6
    I need to agree strongly on the Android One topic. It would have been all good if all the competition was also on the same level. But since the competitors using Android are doing much better with their software, I'm not sure for how long the promise of updates will be the only selling point of Android One. Probably the competitor phones do not need major Android releases at all, because they are already better than what the Android Q will bring. They most likely already dk all of that except for dedicated app level APIs which will be changed/introduced in Android Q.
    The sooner HMD walks from this one-sided favor to Google, the better it is. HMD pretty much gains nothing while being part of Android One. Heck, Google couldn't even give their camera app - the only meaningful feature in the Pixel phones. So, what's Android One worth?
    ✭✭✭  /  edited April 6
    singhnsk said:
    I need to agree strongly on the Android One topic. It would have been all good if all the competition was also on the same level. But since the competitors using Android are doing much better with their software, I'm not sure for how long the promise of updates will be the only selling point of Android One. Probably the competitor phones do not need major Android releases at all, because they are already better than what the Android Q will bring. They most likely already dk all of that except for dedicated app level APIs which will be changed/introduced in Android Q.
    The sooner HMD walks from this one-sided favor to Google, the better it is. HMD pretty much gains nothing while being part of Android One. Heck, Google couldn't even give their camera app - the only meaningful feature in the Pixel phones. So, what's Android One worth?
    You reminded me of what Ms offered to Nokia when they opted for their platform.. Google want oems to use their Android One but no big manufacturers want to adopt that half baked OS with no features but just google apps tied to it. They can't even offer some benefits to the OEM who opts for their version of Android. Most users who I know and have used Android One for the 1st time on their Nokia devices are saying we don't want this plain OS and won't be buying A Nokia again if it comes with Android One. .

I recommended a Nokia 6 to someone and he now switched to some oppo or Vivo phone just because of the UI and he further said he won't be buying a Nokia again. 🥺

This is what Android One is. I can't even use the gallery app of my choice. The camera won't support it. 😐 Android is Open Source but the ANDROID BY GOOGLE is just a place to sell Google services and make users use everything Google and tie their life's around it. 😅

Yes, something needs to be done on this.

Edit: Newly launched Nokia X71 and some devices sold in the US aren't Android One. This means they are reducing the number of Android One devices. Maybe they have understood that updating so many devices everymonth will not be possible. LOL
  • Jolie Papi Froop Jolie Papi Froop
    ✭✭  / 
    **** Phone

• timple timple
    ✭✭  / 
    I know Nokia is working on polishing Nokia 9 but there are some rough edges. Here's 1. Light room. You go to edit your raw file and to get to Light room from thetcamera app you go through the Google store....... Also Lightroom does not support Nokia 9 officially. See https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html#Nokia
  • ToanProduction ToanProduction
    ✭✭  / 
    When Nokia 9 pureivew smartphones bring Vietnam???
    ✭✭✭  / 
    When Nokia 9 pureivew smartphones bring Vietnam???
    You are asking this in a wrong thread sir. 🙂
    But, here's the answer. Only HMD knows about their launch plans. So, I don't think anyone here will be able to answer your question. 
  • launching date of nokia 9 pureview in india??