X71 announced!

Hi everyone, Until HMD themselves decide to publish info on the forum about this new phone we have to do it ourselves.

X71 announced!

madbilly madbilly
✭✭✭✭  / 
Hi everyone,

Until HMD themselves decide to publish info on the forum about this new phone we have to do it ourselves.

Today in Taiwan a completely new phone model was released by HMD. @stipe1906 from Nokiamob has (as usual) done a great job writing about the new phone: https://nokiamob.net/2019/04/02/nokia-x71-officially-announced/, the specs for which you can find here: https://www.nokia.com/phones/zh_tw/nokia-x71.

It looks very interesting: 48MP main camera plus 120 degree wide angle camera (but no OIS on either AFAIK), huge display size (too big for me but maybe not for most people),  6GB RAM and 128MB storage and a uSD card slot, OZO audio, glass-sandwich body, stock Android not Android One (so maybe security updates not guaranteed?).

About the camera, the official webpage is a bit confusing, suggesting that the pixel size is 1.6um... but this would make the pixels bigger than on the 808 PureView! (1.4um.. FYI the N8 in 2010 had 1.75um pixels). Lower down in the spec sheet it says 0.8um for the main camera and the footnotes explain that it normally outputs 12MP images and combines 4 0.8um pixels into a single 1.6um "virtual" pixel size in the 12MP mode. I don't think this is working in the same way as oversampling in the 808 and Lumia 1020 PureView cameras though, so it will not be as sophisticated. The footnotes also suggest that it can save in RAW mode, which some limitations in available camera app features.

f/1.8 aperture is okay though and should give good crisp images with the ZEISS optics. But is this for both rear cameras? The front camera is f/2.0.

The notification light in the power button is also included, great to see this continuing to be a signature HMD Nokia feature. No dedicated Google Assistant button though, which is very interesting given that at MWC we were led to believe this would appear on all future HMD phones.

The link for the user manual is not working yet so I can't confirm the TA- number.

What do you think?

Cheers :)
Tagged:

Comments

• singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    I think that the numbering is confused. The X7 is cheaper with a better CPU and X71 is pricier with a bit outdated CPU. I wish this was a 710 device, then discontinued the 8.1 and sold this one. It is not so good to have multiple devices competing with each other.
    Otherwise, really a good product it seems. Checks nearly all the boxes. OZO Audio, Headphone jack, Good cameras, sizeable battery, good front display (my 8.1 is jealous) 👻

One thing which I hate again is the fact that the top part is once again reserved for the status bar icons only. Apps will not be able to hit to the edge of the display (except for YouTube's pinch zoom). Would be really a good if users could enjoy the true full-screen experience. Maybe once again I can blast the bomb on stock Android (well not Android One, but still restricted :( )? :P

• Kartik Gada Kartik Gada
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    This is a very nice phone but the pricing and the choice of the processor for that price are not correct. Would have made this phone an instant hit if the price was around 300USD or they used a better processor like the SD670 or SD675.

All other features, specs and design elements are amazing and this phone looks so fresh. 
  • stipe1906 stipe1906
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Nice write-up @madbilly
    Agree with @singhnsk @Kartik Gada  that the price and naming is confusing. Maybe if this was called Nokia X62 and was 50 dollars cheaper it would better fit into the portfolio...
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    @stipe1906 But where is the X61? Please do not eat numbers just like what happened with the 4.2 :(
    We are yet to see that X61 (or whatever), right, the one leaked earlier? :D  I'd prefer this one as a 7.2 and a younger sibling with lesser cameras for a lower price. For now, this one can be made 50 dollars cheaper for the 4+64 variant.
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Yes the processor/price combination is a bit strange, but may be offset by the large RAM and storage and large display (bull only FullHD+ on a 6.4"screen?). Anyone confused by the proposed price of the X71 will then be doubly confused by the fact the 8.1 is cheaper and the 7+ is more expensive! But then, given that this page says the 3.1+ is €5990 and the 5.1 is $4990 I think it's better to just ignore everything that's written there and look at the price in the shop ;) https://www.nokia.com/phones/zh_tw/android-phones (I think that the € and $ marks are errors and should be NTD).

The name is odd, but this might be a local market choice. But even that would be odd because they don't have the X5, X6 and X7 in Taiwan, they have the 5.1+, 6.1+ and 8.1. I've given up trying to understand the naming approach that HMD are taking, because it's just confusing; better to just accept the name as a name in isolation, ignore any other phone names, and then compare specs with what else is available.

I think the most interesting thing with this phone is that this is the seventh different imaging solution which HMD have put on a phone:
    • Penta-camera (9PV)
    • OIS main + monochrome (8)
    • Main + telephoto (Sirocco, 7+)
    • Large OIS main + depth sensor (8.1)
    • Main + depth sensor (7.1, 6.1+, 5.1+, 4.2, 3.1+)
    • Main + phase-detection autofocus (6.1, 6, 5.1, 5)
    • Standard autofocus camera + flash (3.2, 3.1, 2.1, 2.1, 1+, 1)
    I might have got some of them wrong, I wasn't checking all details.

Cheers :smiley:
  • wilson shrestha wilson shrestha
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    So, I think from now on we will see Notification Light on power button on every Android phone released by Nokia. This is a very good thing but wish they did this much earlier before.

As for the Nokia X71 the reason for choice of an outdated processor might be the same as for Nokia 9. I think they took the time to fully optimize the camera with the processor onboard like on the Nokia 9. However, this is just a guess but we will know about this soon enough.

But providing a hole punched display at this price point is really great. The design of the Nokia X71 alone will be a selling point for most of its customers.

• stipe1906 stipe1906
    ✭✭✭  / 
    @madbilly
    The X71 is missing from your list, so we have 8 camera solutions on Nokia phones :)
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited April 3
    @stipe1906 I know! I realised too late to change it. Whoops!

@wilson shrestha yes I hope the power button with led becomes a standard feature. It's actually very similar to the one on my N8, nice to see HMD take some cues from historic designs.

I think you're being too generous to them about the processor, I think the choice is more about cost.
  • RAShepherd RAShepherd
    ✭✭  / 
    Does anyone know yet if this thing can put out a 48MP JPEG or is it always going to be a 12MP output? I want to see that user manual!  I wonder if it will be all Chinese though cos I can't read Chinese.....
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Does anyone know yet if this thing can put out a 48MP JPEG or is it always going to be a 12MP output? I want to see that user manual!  I wonder if it will be all Chinese though cos I can't read Chinese.....
    It can do 48MP but only in a special mode. It might have other limitations while doing that. From their website:

48 million high-resolution lens means that the camera’s main lens image sensor has 48 million pixels. The built-in camera app can output 12 million pixels and 48 million pixels in both resolutions. When using the 48 megapixel output mode, you need to activate the camera settings and turn on the (48M) switch on the shooting interface. In the 48 million output mode, some features of the built-in camera are limited and cannot be used. Third-party software may only recognize 12 million lens modes.

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    I think that the "special" mode will be very similar to the one used on Huawei/Honor phones: https://www.gsmarena.com/honor_view_20-review-1880p5.php

And here's a simple explanation of how quad-bayer sensors and pixel-binning works:

Interesting that the 660 cannot natively support 48MP images; HMD must be doing something similar to Xiaomi to get around this.

Cheers :)
  • Kartik Gada Kartik Gada
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    So, I think from now on we will see Notification Light on power button on every Android phone released by Nokia. This is a very good thing but wish they did this much earlier before.

As for the Nokia X71 the reason for choice of an outdated processor might be the same as for Nokia 9. I think they took the time to fully optimize the camera with the processor onboard like on the Nokia 9. However, this is just a guess but we will know about this soon enough.

But providing a hole punched display at this price point is really great. The design of the Nokia X71 alone will be a selling point for most of its customers.

Better late than never. Their solution for Led notification is the most unique one and new. I love it. 😁 Many users have been asking for a notification LED and this is a very nice way to implement it. I personally don't like led's blinking at the front and now as the bezels get thinner and thinner there was no way to implement it at the front panel. This is the best way to add it. :)

I don't think there is so much to optimize here when compared to 9PV. That beast has 5 sensors which SD845 would never be able to support on its own. So, a special imaging chip from Light was used and then they used the SD845 to it's fullest. Nokia X71 be default captures images in 12MP mode. The special 48MP mode can be triggered and will limit some features which is clearly mentioned. SD660 supports 48MP as a single camera. So, maybe the camera won't enable the depth sensor while in 48MP mode and it will only be enabled when needed in 12MP mode. Second is a Wide Angle 8MP sensor which again would be easy for SD660 to handle along with the Depth sensor too. This is just what I think about how the camera on Nokia X71 is working. If there was a need for a special chip or if they had included something extra they would have definitely marketed it. :)

Punch hole display at this price is good but now there are full-screen bezel-less devices with no notch in this price range with the latest processor. The time of using the same processor is long gone. People just don't care about how much they have a need for a particular processor. All they want is the latest chip from Snapdragon. This is a psychological part where they messed up this time. People will call this capable SD660 an outdated processor because the competition has SD675 at a very similar price tag. They need more devices prices like the Nokia 5.1 Plus and Nokia 6.1 Plus. Now that we saw a 4GB+64GB variant for China we can see the price tag of Nokia X71 come down further and if this device launches globally this is the variant which we will get. Would be a very good buy for sub 20k INR for 4GB+64GB. :)
  • I hope Hmd or Nokia upgrade the processor to Snapdragon 675 for Global release and make this phone on Android One phone.
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Then it will be a different phone.
  • wilson shrestha wilson shrestha
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    madbilly said:
    Then it will be a different phone.
    There are peoples saying not to bother launching this device in India after seeing its price in China. Since, it is priced so high even in China people have lost their hope that it will be priced any less globally. It's like 2199 Yuan for the 6 GB 64 GB variant.

• singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Has anybody checked the manufacturer label on the box of the X71? Looks like this will be first of those for-profit devices which FIH will produce. No more low margin deliveries.
    And that has probably pushed HMD to go this way. The device costs more than the the X7 which has a better CPU and probably primary camera too. The X7 is available for some 1800 RMB for the 6/64 variant. It actually went lower than that, but has been beefed up again for some unknown reasons.

HMD at this point has probably offered best it can for the price point. I wouldn't mind the pricing if it's for the survival. There's no need to sell for loss and then make money off the ads (Xiaomi).
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    @wilson shrestha yes the high price is a surprise, but maybe that's because of what @singhnsk suggests, that FIH won't produce for a loss anymore. The camera on the X7/8.1 is definitely better than the one on this X71 because it has OIS.
  • stipe1906 stipe1906
    ✭✭✭  / 
    madbilly said:
    @wilson shrestha yes the high price is a surprise, but maybe that's because of what @singhnsk suggests, that FIH won't produce for a loss anymore. The camera on the X7/8.1 is definitely better than the one on this X71 because it has OIS.
    Maybe the price isn't "high" considering the targeted market? Is there another phone with a punch-hole display and ultra wide-angle camera retailing for less than 350 euros? Apart from Galaxy S10s, A8S, and the two midrange Huawei/Honor phones, the X71 seems to be the only one, with a noticeably lower price?
    HMD's strategy could be if you care more about the stylish display and verstile cameras get an X71, but if you want faster hardware and a solid single camera get an X7 for more or less the same price?
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Hi @stipe1906, yes I think you're right, we're not comparing the right features.