Will Nokia 8.1 get dedicated Face Unlock that was announced with Nokia 9 Pureview ?

I am a Nokia 8.1 user and it has Trusted Face which is highly unsecure and unlocks the device with even eyes closed.

Will Nokia 8.1 get dedicated Face Unlock that was announced with Nokia 9 Pureview ?

Argho Sarkar Argho Sarkar
✭✭✭✭  / 
I am a Nokia 8.1 user and it has Trusted Face which is highly unsecure and unlocks the device with even eyes closed. When Nokia 3.2, Nokia 4.2 and Nokia 9 Pureview were launched at MWC 2019 they have dedicated Face Unlock from Sensory Truly Secure.

Will the face unlock feature be provided to Nokia 8.1 in future updates ?? 

Comments

• HarshSharma HarshSharma
    ✭✭  / 
    Nokia 4.2 , 3.2 and 9 has software based face unlock .so,their is a chance of getting this in Nokia 8.1 in next updates
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    While it is probably possible via a software upgrade, I do not think that HMD Global will add it into existing phones. I will try not to spread the negativity and will cross mingers and keep the hope that they bring it to at least some of their older devices. 
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

I agree with @singhnsk that HMD will probably not bring this to older devices, but let's hope that they will.

However, you should note that the Face Unlock feature on the new phones is still not a secure method - it only uses 2D, which is not sufficient for banking and is less secure than a fingerprint or PIN. I'd really like HMD to bring a 3D face scanning method to their phones but this will require dedicated hardware, I doubt it will be possible with a software upgrade unless a phone already has suitable sensors on the front of the phone (e.g. time of flight, infrared, dual camera).

Cheers :)
  • Argho Sarkar Argho Sarkar
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    madbilly said:

I agree with @singhnsk that HMD will probably not bring this to older devices, but let's hope that they will.

However, you should note that the Face Unlock feature on the new phones is still not a secure method - it only uses 2D, which is not sufficient for banking and is less secure than a fingerprint or PIN. I'd really like HMD to bring a 3D face scanning method to their phones but this will require dedicated hardware, I doubt it will be possible with a software upgrade unless a phone already has suitable sensors on the front of the phone (e.g. time of flight, infrared, dual camera).

Cheers :)
    Yes I totally agree with you @madbilly and also @singhnsk, it's a convenience feature. But they should provide us the face unlock feature atleast through an update, it will be better than the unsafest Trusted Face in SmartLock.

3D Face unlock may come to some future flagship of Nokia but it wont be anytime soon.