Google play services consuming more battery

Hi Guys, I recently noticed Google play services is consuming more battery.

Google play services consuming more battery

iyesat iyesat
✭✭  / 
Hi Guys,

I recently noticed Google play services is consuming more battery. I even did a factory reset and still could see Google play services topping the consumption list. Anyone facing similar issue? Screenshot as below.

Comments

• AniketThakur AniketThakur
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    yesat said:
    Hi Guys,

I recently noticed Google play services is consuming more battery. I even did a factory reset and still could see Google play services topping the consumption list. Anyone facing similar issue? Screenshot as below.

Update to the latest beta version 16.0.89. The older versions drain battery a lot. You can download apk from apk mirror.
  • schetz schetz
    ✭✭✭  / 
    I would advise against updating to beta version of play services. Unless you are of course willing to test, and I did in the past, but more frequent than not, something goes berzerk in battery usage.

Usually , I notice higher play services battery usage before it updates itself (a day or two before). Why is that, I honestly don't know, but @iyesat , you can monitor play services version, and see if it normalised within a day or two, and check if there was a version bump.
  • liftedcorn liftedcorn
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Consumed only 1% in 1 hour for me
  • Tejas01 Tejas01
    ✭✭  /  edited April 3
    iyesat said:
    Hi Guys,

If you have recently updated to March patch, then I would advice you to clear cache and data of Play services. It will automatically install to the latest stable version when you open Play Store. 
    For me it's 1% till now. Sorry there is no provision to attach screenshot herr.

• spulci spulci
    ✭✭  / 
    yesat said:
    Hi Guys,

Update to the latest beta version 16.0.89. The older versions drain battery a lot. You can download apk from apk mirror.
    I've got 16.0.89 stable rollout (no apk manual install). They're on top of the battery consumption. Google updated it on Apri 3rd on my Nokia 7 plus. They definitively need to fix that bug soon
  • iyesat iyesat
    ✭✭  / 
    Even after clearing cache Google play services tops the list which wasn't happening before March update
  • spulci spulci
    ✭✭  / 
    It seems a common issue after march update. I opened a post on Reddit too....we need to wait a patch from Google and or Nokia. BTW the battery drain is just a fake stat due to this bug....after march update my phone last a lot longer than before...really impressed.
  • Tejas01 Tejas01
    ✭✭  /  edited April 17
    spulci said:
    It seems a common issue after march update. I opened a post on Reddit too....we need to wait a patch from Google and or Nokia. BTW the battery drain is just a fake stat due to this bug....after march update my phone last a lot longer than before...really impressed.

Indeed.. almost 2 days of battery backup and more than 8h Sot is a good result. And it's still going strong.👍

• iyesat iyesat
    ✭✭  /  edited April 17
    @Tejas01,
    Have you set the app sync to off (like Gmail, WhatsApp, facebook). Also how about digital well being?
    Below is my stats and I am really surprised with yours. I am just figuring out the way on how to achieve like yours.

• Tejas01 Tejas01
    ✭✭  /  edited April 17
    iyesat said:
    @Tejas01,
    Have you set the app sync to off (like Gmail, WhatsApp, facebook). Also how about digital well being?
    Below is my stats and I am really surprised with yours. I am just figuring out the way on how to achieve like yours.

Hi.. 
    I do not use any social sites other than Telegram.
    I do not get you when you asked about Digital Wellbeing. If you meant it's installed then yes and its active from 11pm to 5:30 am. I mostly don't use Digital Wellbeing..😉 it's mostly redundant.
    Sync for Gmail is on. I rely mostly on WiFi rather than 4g/ Volte.
    Besides I use Kiwi browser with dark mode enabled which helps me extend my battery. And yes, no games whatsoever.
    My brightness level varies between 22-25% 

And all other fancy stuff such as Aod, lift to wake screen and other such features are disabled. 

Everyone will get a different Sot based on their use case, but even with rough use it should give you 5-6 hours on an average.

My Sot keeps on varying, but I get 6-7 hours with moderate use.
  • My Sot was great (over 2 days on one charge) until 2 days ago when something changed.
    It started draining within a single day.  :(

No app changes apart from a chunk of Google apps updated: Files by Google, Action Services, Messages, Google Home, Gmail, Google Calendar.

I now get Google Play Services running in the foreground. It says "While in active use", as if I had the app open and running all the time.

Battery reports 4 hours since last 100% charge, and Google Play Services "While in active use" running for 4 hours - the same. Although "While in background" says active for 0 minutes.

Screenshot taken just now:

• wyk wyk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Post the same when battery will be below 30% ...with full device usage.
  • Hi All / @wyk
    I did the "Clear cache & data from Google Play Services" part from here: https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/7512202?hl=en-GB
    I read it on another thread in this board.
    So far so good, only lost 8% in 10 hours (overnight) with some use last night and this morning. Plus no "Google Play Services" entry in battery log (yet).
    I know this hasn't worked for others - sorry it hasn't helped them.
  • wyk wyk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    If happens again ...let us know. & as Aniket Thakur stated u can always try installing beta version of play services.
  • OK, it's back. I'll put up with it and hope Google sort it soon.
  • Tejas01 Tejas01
    ✭✭  / 

• Google Play services version: 16.0.91 auto installed today. Hopefully that may help?
  • Google Play services version: 16.0.91 auto installed today. Hopefully that may help?
    Further to the above.

I'm quite confident to say this seems to have worked.

It didn't seem so initially but after I cleared cache from app called "Battery protection" (previous Nokia Mobile Care adviser suggestion) and clear cache from Google Play services (on these forums) AND then a standard reboot.
    All seems well.

• Nope, issue still occurring.  :'(
  • spulci spulci
    ✭✭  / 
    Don't worry quigger....You're not alone, we're not alone with this issue. I'm on TA-1055 and the issue started with Play Services 16.0.89 and continue with 16.0.91. Don't waste time cleaning caches, deactivating apps and so on (factory reset etc). It's a bug.....I can tell that the Play Services Active Usage Time is incrementing as the active usage time of Whatsapp (active time and/or backgroud time) as well as Amazon Music. It's a mix of both apps. Try this test...make a full charge and plug off...your battery stats will be empty. Open and use WhatsApp for a few minutes....hope that play services will enter the battery usage list: you will notice that the Play Services Active Usage and WhatsApp active usage it's the same....same thing for Amazon Music....
    This issue started when I received 3.51F Build on my phone with Play Services 16.0.89 (it was April the 3rd). Who is responsible for this bug? Play Services, Third Part app, the 3.51F build itself? Don't know......let's wait and see. Btw my it seems that Play Services with this bug generates some kind of fake battery stats...even with this huge active time usage I can' really say that my phone is affected by an evident battery drain...i've got around 6 hours of Screen On Time...and the phone last more that 4-5 days on wi-fi and 2-3 days on mobile with moderate usage...quite satisfied.
    I suspect that the bug can be generated by Device Health Pie module that makes battery stats on real time...even after months and several update of this module a bug is always present: full charge the phone, unplug and turn it on...shutdown before it can reach 90% of battery....you will loose the battery stats data of this usage time...when you turn on your phone again the battery stats will be empty...I've noticed that under 90% you will not loose data stats even turning off the phone. I tried even a factory reset for that bug.......there's no hope IMHO to see a robust battery stats monitor on this phone on Pie 9
  • Thanks @spulci
    I concur that is reporting time but not actually draining battery.  :)
  • spulci spulci
    ✭✭  / 
    quigger said:
    Thanks @spulci
    I concur that is reporting time but not actually draining battery.  :)
    You're welcome @quigger. Let's wait and see if a MR or a new Play Services release fix the bug. Meanwhile leave the cache untouched and don't try any "waste-of-time" factory reset ;)