Successfully rolled back from official Pie to Oreo

Folks I got to the point I was fed up with Pie and it's many bugs.  After searching around XDA I found this easy to use guide to roll back to Oreo November 2018 patch.  I then updated to the December patch by installing the OTA in recover mode.

Successfully rolled back from official Pie to Oreo

mcdona922 mcdona922
✭✭✭  / 
Folks I got to the point I was fed up with Pie and it's many bugs.  After searching around XDA I found this easy to use guide to roll back to Oreo November 2018 patch.  I then updated to the December patch by installing the OTA in recover mode.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/nokia-8/how-to/how-downgraded-pie-to-oreo-t3888178

Hope this helps anyone else sick of waiting on an update to fix android Pie, especially the compass bug.

Comments

• thankyou bro it works
  • Dual volte support in oreo?

Pie support single volte at a time, we can't use dual volte Sims at same time
  • mcdona922 mcdona922
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Guys,

Just a bit of a followup for anyone struggling to stop their phone from updating again.

The XDA post does mention the following, however for anyone unsure how to prevent the Pie update from reinstalling.

(1)  When setting up the phone after the rollback, quickly skip through the setup and don't register your Wifi network etc.

(2) Got to System -> About Phone and then tap 5 times on the Build Number to enable "Developer Options"

(3) Go back and into "Developer Options" and turn off "Automatic system updates".  This will keep the Pie update from automatically reinstalling.  You will still get a notification of it being available but it won't install unless you choose to.

You can of course upgrade again, if or when we receive an update to fix the issues in Pie.

Once rolled back using the method above, you can then manually install the December Patch using the following file "NB1-488L-0-00WW-B01-488K-0-00WW-B01-update.zip" found here:

https://helmholtzschule-my.sharepoint.com/personal/stolld_helmholtzschule_de1/Documents/Forms/All.aspx?cid=8ce4d8c9-340b-4ebc-b9b8-9af10284506d&FolderCTID=0x012000E63DFD6BE58C7E4BB849BE25D2C25619&id=%2Fpersonal%2Fstolld_helmholtzschule_de1%2FDocuments%2FXDA%2FNB1%2FOTA

This worked perfectly for me on my UK Unlocked TA-1012
  • mrbelter mrbelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Vicky max said:
    Dual volte support in oreo?

The hardware doesn't support it regardless of what version of Android you are on.
  • mrbelter said:
    Vicky max said:

The hardware doesn't support it regardless of what version of Android you are on.
    Pie
  • mrbelter mrbelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Vicky max said:
    mrbelter said:
    Vicky max said:

Pie
    The Nokia 8 does not, never has and never will support dual VoLTE, the 835 doesn't support it.
  • Mike 1408 Mike 1408
     /  edited April 9
    Since updating to Pie from Oreo, I have had issues when making calls; specifically the recipient of the call is not able to hear me properly with them mentioning there is a loud rustling noise in the background as though there is a lot of static. Oddly, this does not happen when on louspeaker, if a headset is connected or on a WhatsApp call.

Has anyone had a similar experience and if so how did they get it fixed without having to send the phone away for a repair?
  • Mike 1408 said:
    how did they get it fixed without having to send the phone away for a repair?
    First you should try with factory reset.

• MrG MrG
     / 
    mcdona922 said:

(1)  When setting up the phone after the rollback, quickly skip through the setup and don't register your Wifi network etc.
    Not sure how you got this to work as it forces you to connect to WiFi before you can set the phone up.  Unless you managed to bypass this somehow?  I couldn't see how you can bypass it.
  • mcdona922 mcdona922
    ✭✭✭  / 
    It's been just over a week since I did this, but if I remember correctly I chose to "skip" most of the setup.  I didn't enter any Google account details either as I just wanted to stop the Pie update from re-installing ASAP via the Developers options setting I stated above.
  • webvan webvan
    ✭✭  / 
    Thanks for the links, any downside you've found since downgrading to OREO in everyday use, with the camera, etc... ?
    My reason to downgrade would be to get back a working compass, other than that I'm pretty happy with PIE.
  • Mick1965 Mick1965
    ✭✭✭  / 
    This is route I'll be taking if this weeks update doesn't fix the issues.
  • potemkin said:
    Mike 1408 said:
    how did they get it fixed without having to send the phone away for a repair?
    First you should try with factory reset.

Hi potemkin, 
    Thanks for the response, I have done the reset this morning and the issue remains. Should I now be contacting Nokia for a replacement handset or repair?
  • Mike 1408 said:
    Hi potemkin, 
    Thanks for the response, I have done the reset this morning and the issue remains. Should I now be contacting Nokia for a replacement handset or repair?
    Sure. I hope they fix it. I don't like the fact that it happened right after you updated to Pie but it could be just a coincidence.
  • Mick1965 Mick1965
    ✭✭✭  / 
    mcdona922 said:
    It's been just over a week since I did this, but if I remember correctly I chose to "skip" most of the setup.  I didn't enter any Google account details either as I just wanted to stop the Pie update from re-installing ASAP via the Developers options setting I stated above.
    How did you manage to get past the WiFi set up screen?

There is no option to skip this.
    If I block the device in the router it just complains there is no internet connection. 
    Let it have access and it immediately finds an update.

Stuffed with either option.
  • mcdona922 mcdona922
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Even if you can't skip the WiFi part, you want to skip everything else to get to the home screen ASAP.  The key here is really just to block the update installing.  You need to go into Developers options to do this.  I included this in  post above.  Even if the update starts to download it won't install providing you switch automatic updates off in the Developers options asap.
  • Mick1965 Mick1965
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Ok. But I'm .Pretty sure you can't go no further until the update has completed.
    IvI' also read that you need to remove your gGoogl account from your phone which enables you to skip the WiFi connection part.
    We will see😀
    Gonna give it another go in a bit.
  • mcdona922 mcdona922
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Ah, yup I was of the assumption that folks were reading the XDA post where is says to remove your Google Account.  That's what I did and it let me skip all the setup.  Good luck.  Let us know how you get on as it will undoubtedly help others 👍
  • Mick1965 Mick1965
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Yep. By removing your accounts it now allows you to skip the WiFi log in. Hence no checking for updates.
    Now just take your time and sign into your wifW once you've disabled auto update in the developer options.

Dunno why but I now got a tune buzzing around my head
    " Bye bye miss android pie, sent the............" 😁
  • mcdona922 mcdona922
    ✭✭✭  / 
    😂 Nice!
  • Mick1965 Mick1965
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Did you update to the December's security patch?
    Or not worth the effort.
  • mcdona922 mcdona922
    ✭✭✭  /  edited April 21
    I did, using the same method.  Not sure what it patches exactly, but it was more for the sake of having the final version of Oreo.  Takes seconds to do.
  • Mick1965 Mick1965
    ✭✭✭  /  edited April 22
    Yeah.
    Did it this morning, not sure what you meant by "using the same method"
    But I downloaded the deceDece patch zip from xda put it in the root of the internal storage and used the *#*#874#*#* method.

Thanks for initially posting this thread it's given me back a fully working phone.

What do I miss about pie.
    A few little refinements here and there, but not a lot really.

What do I like about Oreo
    Everything fracking works again 👍👍😃
  • mcdona922 mcdona922
    ✭✭✭  / 
    What I meant by "the same method" was boot into recovery and choose that option to update from SD card..  Patches can be installed via recovery in the same way that a full Firmware can be flashed.
  • Mick1965 Mick1965
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Ok. Thanks. That's one to remember.

Anyway to stop the phone bugging you about an available update twice a day.
  • @Mick1965 can you pls share the detailed steps of what accounts you removed to skip the initial setup. I have tried couple of times and failed. 
  • mcdona922 mcdona922
    ✭✭✭  / 
    To stop notifications.  Go to settings -> App and Notifications -> See all Apps.  Then select the option from the top right menu to show system apps.  Lastly disable notifications for Software Update.  That should stop the notification popup from appearing every so often.  You want to clear out the Data and cache from the app itself.  Hope this helps 👍
  • Mick1965 Mick1965
    ✭✭✭  / 
    @Mick1965 can you pls share the detailed steps of what accounts you removed to skip the initial setup. I have tried couple of times and failed. 
    Before resetting the phone and booting into recovery mode .
    Goto settings , accounts and remove all of the accounts in there.
    Tap on each account then select remove account.  Obviously agreeing to all of the warnings
  • MrG MrG
     / 
    Awesome, thanks for confirming this.  This is where I was going wrong previously.  Goodbye Pie, hello working compass!
  • mcdona922 said:
    I did, using the same method.  Not sure what it patches exactly, but it was more for the sake of having the final version of Oreo.  Takes seconds to do.
    Where did u download the December update?send me the link