No Security Patch Updates Confirmed

Here's the email I received from Nokia Mobile.. First generation phones will no longer receive any updates

No Security Patch Updates Confirmed

shubham sharma shubham sharma
✭✭✭  / 
Here's the email I received from Nokia Mobile.. First generation phones will no longer receive any updates
Tagged:

Comments

• shubham sharma shubham sharma
    ✭✭✭  / 

• Jinzukei Jinzukei
    ✭✭  /  edited April 2019

what..... the..... but i think security patch update lasts upto 3yrs of support.
  • Lawss Lawss
    ✭✭✭  /  edited April 2019
    3 years of security updates and 2 years of os update it is so Nokia chat has got no idea of anything
  • Lawss Lawss
    ✭✭✭  / 
    As per Nokia chat after a major MR and security update, There still will be two more security updates remaining, so let's patiently wait. 
  • milind milind
    ✭✭  / 
    Oh no... It's means we have to use our Nokia 6 with all issues. This is a  ridiculous. Or last option we have to say Goodbye to Nokia 6...... :( 
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    Super User  / 
    I see it another mis-informed Nokia Support response. There's generally no need to ask them anything as most of the times feedback provided by the support is wrong.
    I am of the strong opinion that more updates will come to the Nokia 6. But let's see. I'll still like a public response from somebody at Nokia other than the probably outsourced support chat.
  • Lawss said:
    3 years of security updates and 2 years of os update it is so Nokia chat has got no idea of anything
    No, Juho said at MWC 2017, that the devices (Nokia 3, 5, 6, and later the 7, 8, and 2) will only get 2 years of monthly updates, but since their close partnership with Android One, they said their phones that to be released after and in MWC 2018 will get 3 years.
  • KuKo KuKo
    ✭✭✭  / 
    I guessed that so will happen. So 9 Pie with february security updates was sure the last update to Nokia 6 from HMD Nokia. 

And anyway, security updates would not resolve 9 PIe bugs. Securiity updates ara always just fixes to security vulnerabilities, so no bug fixes.

9 Pie would need 9.1 kind maintenance update, but not even Google has done such. Google will go to Anroid 10 on next august, but Nokia 6 will not get that, no updates now any more. 

And that is so common situation among all Android manufacturer devices. Version, maintenance, bug fixes end after 2 years. Thus device itself is still fully capable for even forthcoming Android versions. 9 Pie is not slower thatn 8.1 Oreo in Nokia 6. 

Maybe I use it and maybe I buy next Android device, when there will be Windows 10 kind of ongoing updates  model available in Android too. By setting power save to maximum 75% and with some developer settings changes I got battery drain problem resolverd and I'm not suffering of the other bugs so much. So now, bye bye all Anroid phones manufacturers ... untill you start to take care updates much longer than nowadays. I support climate change defence and not buy new devices unnecessarily. (But a hint: I might pay 30€ or so of extra year version & maintenance & security updates). 
  • we can downgrade nokia 6 (2017) from pie ??
    KuKo said:
    I guessed that so will happen. So 9 Pie with february security updates was sure the last update to Nokia 6 from HMD Nokia. 

And anyway, security updates would not resolve 9 PIe bugs. Securiity updates ara always just fixes to security vulnerabilities, so no bug fixes.

9 Pie would need 9.1 kind maintenance update, but not even Google has done such. Google will go to Anroid 10 on next august, but Nokia 6 will not get that, no updates now any more. 

And that is so common situation among all Android manufacturer devices. Version, maintenance, bug fixes end after 2 years. Thus device itself is still fully capable for even forthcoming Android versions. 9 Pie is not slower thatn 8.1 Oreo in Nokia 6. 

Maybe I use it and maybe I buy next Android device, when there will be Windows 10 kind of ongoing updates  model available in Android too. By setting power save to maximum 75% and with some developer settings changes I got battery drain problem resolverd and I'm not suffering of the other bugs so much. So now, bye bye all Anroid phones manufacturers ... untill you start to take care updates much longer than nowadays. I support climate change defence and not buy new devices unnecessarily. (But a hint: I might pay 30€ or so of extra year version & maintenance & security updates). 

• user123 user123
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Atleast now they can release bootloader unlock with firmware and flash tool
  • madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 

What did you actually ask them? It's helpful to tell us the question so we can properly understand the answer.

From what I recall the "promise" for the Nokia 3, 5 and 6 was two years of updates. I don't think that HMD said exactly what kind of updates these were when they announced it. Since then Android One and Android Enterprise Recommended have been created and clarified things for owners of those phones, but for the 3, 5, 6 and also Android Go phones and the hybrid Nokia 2 it is not clear.

In my opinion, the number of years of updates should either be dated from the launch in the local market (from where the phone was bought), or from the date of purchase of the phone. If HMD go with the date of product launch then that is very misleading for many of their phones which weren't actually available until several months after the initial launch, e.g. Nokia 3, 5 and 6 weren't available in many markets until the second half of 2017, at least 4 months after the product launch at MWC '17.

If they really insist on it being dated from the initial product launch then this is misleading advertising. A more honest approach (and maybe better for marketing in some ways, as it sounds more impressive) is to announce the future date after which no updates will be shipped. E.g. For the Nokia 6 this could be February 2019, or July 2019, or even some later date.

The other questions is what is the difference between a security update and an OS update? Do they consider all the maintenance releases to be OS updates? Does this mean no bug fixes after two years? What if the bug was known about and reported before two years? (we have many cases of this).

I fear that this update situation may become the reason I completely lose faith in HMD and the new Nokia phones business. I hope it doesn't, I hope that HMD provide clarify and do the right thing, do what customers can reasonably expect.

Cheers :)
  • shubham sharma shubham sharma
    ✭✭✭  / 
    madbilly said:

What did you actually ask them? It's helpful to tell us the question so we can properly understand the answer.

From what I recall the "promise" for the Nokia 3, 5 and 6 was two years of updates. I don't think that HMD said exactly what kind of updates these were when they announced it. Since then Android One and Android Enterprise Recommended have been created and clarified things for owners of those phones, but for the 3, 5, 6 and also Android Go phones and the hybrid Nokia 2 it is not clear.

In my opinion, the number of years of updates should either be dated from the launch in the local market (from where the phone was bought), or from the date of purchase of the phone. If HMD go with the date of product launch then that is very misleading for many of their phones which weren't actually available until several months after the initial launch, e.g. Nokia 3, 5 and 6 weren't available in many markets until the second half of 2017, at least 4 months after the product launch at MWC '17.

If they really insist on it being dated from the initial product launch then this is misleading advertising. A more honest approach (and maybe better for marketing in some ways, as it sounds more impressive) is to announce the future date after which no updates will be shipped. E.g. For the Nokia 6 this could be February 2019, or July 2019, or even some later date.

The other questions is what is the difference between a security update and an OS update? Do they consider all the maintenance releases to be OS updates? Does this mean no bug fixes after two years? What if the bug was known about and reported before two years? (we have many cases of this).

I fear that this update situation may become the reason I completely lose faith in HMD and the new Nokia phones business. I hope it doesn't, I hope that HMD provide clarify and do the right thing, do what customers can reasonably expect.

Basically I ask them why Nokia 6 hasn't received March update yet.. that's what they replied.. i am not happy the way Nokia 6 will now not receiving any updates..This phone was launched in India in August..so August Security Patch Update Should be the last..not February
  • Karwes101 Karwes101
    ✭✭  / 
    Main point in my opinion is, that there is nothing official by HMD - so good comunication would be to at least announce the end of service. 
    For the two years of updates commitment: Two years have 24 months = 24 patches, right? I did some research, and the earliest patch I found is the one from July 2017. That would mean, that we should get patches at lest through May - if the calculate the release firmware as the first patch.
    I watch this closely, as I am still satisfied with my Nokia 6 - even Pi is running smoothly without any problems. I like the clean operating system and the monthly patches. I would accept quarterly updates even. Look what most of the other manufacturers are doing - especially with midrange phones. Anyhow I am expecting promises to be kept. So the coming months will show, if my next phone is a Nokia again (or maybe the midrange Pixel). 
    Just a side note: From what I see even the "flagship" Nokia 9 has not yet received March patch, so maybe .... 
  • madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 
    @shubham sharma I fully agree with you, security updates for the Nokia 6 in India should be until August this year at least.

@Karwes101 you're totally right, HMD should at least tell the owners directly, if not everyone publicly, when the end of support for their phone is.

Good research! Yes I think you're right, except from July I think 24 months is until June this year, not May. I don't think release firmware counts as an "update", because an update needs to be delivered as a change to the release firmware.

You're right that quarterly updates would be a suitable compromise for older phones. I think that Android Enterprise Recommended permit this as well, though not Android One.
  • Akhil Akhil

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 
    Hi @Akhil, thanks for sharing. That really is a useless reply. What exactly did you ask them? you should ask them for the exact date when your phone will no longer receive updates, or what will be the last Android security patch level which it will receive.

• KuKo KuKo
    Now looks also that Nokia 8, which was announced on September 2017 and came to sale at end of 2017 got latest update on February and no monthly updates since that. (And since that Nokia 8 -users are suffering of the same Pie 9 problems as Nokia 6 -users). 

https://www.nokia.com/phones/en_int/security-updates 

Indeed is very controversial that while Nokia 6 came on sale in global markets on June 2017, that after just 1 year and 8 months updates to it seem to end, so not even near 2 years of updates (after February still 3-4 months to June). 
  • Akhil Akhil
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Hi @madbilly
    I asked them whether they stopped providing updates for nokia 6. If so please do official announcement on that.

From their replies i think that they will not stop providing updates for their every phone. But instead of providing it on monthly basis they may do it on quarterly basis. Also nokia 6 hardware capabilities are not enough for andeoid Q. It will be be better to provide a new permanent stable pie build
  • KuKo KuKo
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Akhil said:
    Hi @madbilly
    I asked them whether they stopped providing updates for nokia 6. If so please do official announcement on that.

From their replies i think that they will not stop providing updates for their every phone. But instead of providing it on monthly basis they may do it on quarterly basis. Also nokia 6 hardware capabilities are not enough for andeoid Q. It will be be better to provide a new permanent stable pie build
    "It will be be better to provide a new permanent stable pie build"

Just that most problems in 9 Pie are in Google's Pie itself and Gooble has not fixed them even in it's own Pixel phones this far. So "impossible" for HMD to parse Pie itself more that what Google does. And looks that Google won't release 9.1 Pie on this time, but it puts efforts to nex Android Q. So situation is stucked. 

So sad that Nokia 6 got 9 Pie, because nothing special importent new with it, compared to 8.1 Oreo. 9 PIe is just a bunch of troubles. 
  • madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 
    Hi @Kuko, you're right, the main problem is that the Nokia 6 hasn't actually been available for two years yet. (except China, but that doesn't count).

@Akhil, I don't work for HMD so I can't make any official announcements. We need someone like @edo to do that.

Or maybe I misunderstood you, do you mean that you asked support to make an official announcement? Can you quote the emails they sent to you in this thread?

• Akhil Akhil
    ✭✭✭  / 
    I asked them for an official announcement..pie is runnig .without much problem after factory reset..
     Now the only problem faced is low speaker volume
  • madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 
    Hi all, I did some research and found these two articles which give more info about what HMD committed to when the 3, 5 and 6 were launched:
    “What we are now committing (to) is that whenever a consumer buys a device, two years from that we will do the updates…” HMD Global CEO Arto Nummela told Gearburn at the South African launch event.
    Sarvikas stresses on Nokia's "pure Android approach", and said that customer feedback showed a demand for clean, easy to use, and snappy user interfaces. "The best way to do that is to do the purest form of Android out there," he says. "It makes it easier to roll out updates and commit to monthly security updates across the portfolio, so we can keep the consumer safe, and also deliver the latest features.” Sarvikas adds that Nokia’s Android phones are guaranteed software updates for two years.
    These are only written quotes, or reports, and only the quote from Arto Nummela is actually useful in our current discussion because he says the two years runs from the date that the device is purchased, not the date the device was launched. Unfortunately Arto left HMD a month or so after that article was written.

If we can find a video of of the chiefs of HMD saying these things then that will be gold. I'm going to continue looking.

• Rajju Rajju
    ✭✭  / 
    there will be update for March patch in next week
  • KuKo KuKo
    ✭✭✭  / 
    So if just SP (security update) of March is coming, but that is not so good news, 
    BECAUSE SP always fixes just security issues only, BUT NOT fix functional (maintenance) issues at all. 

So should get MR = Maintenance Release update for to fix the functional problems and bugs. Let's see if such comes or not. Response told just about SP and not about MR. 
  • Jinzukei Jinzukei
    ✭✭  /  edited April 2019
    can't wait for update this week. 😅
  • can't wait for update this week. 😅
    Same hehe
  • Akhil Akhil
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Got any updates.. nothing till now?