AMA - Volume 3 - Nokia 4.2 and Nokia 3.2

Wondering why it’s called Nokia 4.2?

AMA - Volume 3 - Nokia 4.2 and Nokia 3.2

matteo.m matteo.m
Staff member  /  edited July 3

Wondering why it’s called Nokia 4.2? Catch all the facts on this and a lot more on the newest additions to the Nokia smartphone family, answered by the experts themselves.

Comments

• Manus Manus
    ✭✭✭  / 
    singhnsk said:
    I might be wrong. But I have an opinion that Google would be shedding some cash to have a dedicated assistant button on the phones. So, there should be some sort of exchange of bills based on which the dedicated assistant button is introduced. Or is it a mere competition to Samsung's bixby assistant button? Guess Samsung has it's personal benefits on pushing such a button as it can technically increase the adoption of Bixby. But for Nokia, there's barely any benefit, Google does seem to be getting a lot from it though.
    Now my next hope is about unlocked bootloaders and the open source community should be able to remap the key to something else.
    @KartikGada it will still be faster to hold down power button and tap on screenshot option than using assistant button and asking it. Or in fact swipe down the notifications and use that toggle.
    @Manus I completely agree. Using voice commands to invoke an assistant with which you're going to interact by voice is the better option.
    I agree with you about the payment for button stuff.
    This is a Clever marketing and advertising, if Google was to increase the direct advertising of the Google assistant they'd need more money than they paying hmd global for a 0.01 button.
    This reminds me of Microsoft's payments to the Nokia back in 2012; but with one exception, ms was needed Nokia desperately so they helped Nokia a lot to develop new patents but Google can throw hmd global like a dirty bag any day, they are using the name of Nokia to built more thrust to their own platform, there are more Google logos in Nokia stands in MWC and ifa stands of hmd global.

• Manus Manus
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Meego harmattan had a way way better option for that; double tap to the edge of the screen in any page to take a screen shot.
    Faster, better, futuristic.

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    0:32 I guess Juho Sarvikas noticed something and was trying to say it to Pranav Shroff and  Pekka Rantala but they didn't notice. Look at his hand gestures. 😅

Agree with the naming of Nokia 4.2. Naming it 4 or 4.1 could have caused confusion and keeping it 4.2 makes the device line simple and makes the flow look natural. 🙂
    @Kartik Gada I think that's just an artefact of the editing, I think there was some more said about the Google Assistant button, or some other topic, which is cut and not included in this clip. Maybe once they publish all the clips someone can go through all of them and put them in the order in which the questions were actually asked! :D

@Manus, the dedicated assistant button launches the assistant, which can be used for lots of things, not only launching the camera. The lack of a dedicated camera button is another question which I hope someone asked (though even if it was asked we might not see an answer). You are totally right that Nokia have a back catalogue of better options to choose from than anything which Google provide.

This app might be able to remap it without rooting: https://www.xda-developers.com/key-mapper-remap-volume-navigation-bluetooth-wired-keyboard-buttons/. I also don't use Google Assistant so without remapping such a button will be a dead feature for me.

To use the "Ok google" to launch the assistant doesn't the phone need to be woken? So wake, "ok google" then say the command is a three step process. With the dedicated button it's one step, and it has other functions, like long-press brings the daily schedule up and I think there's another function too.

Overall using screenshots as the example was a poor one, I'm sure they could have found a better example (and should).

@singhnsk you might be right about possible "platform support" payments (as the MS-Nokia ones were called I think). However, voice is quickly becoming an very important was for people to interact with technology, especially in developing markets. Arguably voice makes more sense on cheaper phones which is why Google Assistant on KaiOS is a "killer app", so I'm surprised that there's no dedicated button on the 1 plus.

Speaking of which, and talking about naming schemes - thanks for explaining 4.2, although it's a shame it's not for "Don't Panic!" as I previously speculated. But now explain 1 plus! Or "1.1 plus" as it was shown on the screen during the MWC presentation. :confounded:
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    madbilly said:

@singhnsk you might be right about possible "platform support" payments (as the MS-Nokia ones were called I think). However, voice is quickly becoming an very important was for people to interact with technology, especially in developing markets. Arguably voice makes more sense on cheaper phones which is why Google Assistant on KaiOS is a "killer app", so I'm surprised that there's no dedicated button on the 1 plus.
    To be very honest, I am yet to see enough people interacting with their phones over voice. And I am in a developing country. I guess barely anybody uses it. And I did buy into the fun factor of this voice thingy. I have an Echo (Alexa powered) and the most I use it for is to turn on/off the fans and lights (lol I really bought these to try something new :P ) and to play music. That's it.
    Have you seen anybody on this community or elsewhere who has praised or recommended 8110 for the Google Assistant? Well, except the reviewers. I do not think voice is a feature which people need (yet). More than often, voice takes longer to do a task as compared to doing a few taps on the phone's screen. 
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    No I haven't seen anyone on this community praise the 8110 for its voice input. Or anywhere else online, except reviewers. But then, to write anything online it's pretty difficult to do it with a T9 interface, especially if the reason you like voice input is because you're illiterate. Also, apparently, ladies like voice input more than men, but ladies (with a few notable exceptions on this forum) rarely seem to participate in online discussion forums.

I think that just because few members of the public are saying voice is a great thing it doesn't mean that it isn't.
  • nokianchetan nokianchetan
    ✭✭✭  / 
    First Of All These Are Entry Level Or Budget Segment Phones ... 
    I Personally See "That" Button As a Cool Physical LED Notification Button , Of Course it can do lot of things with Assistant But Nobody Gonna Use That as a Google assistant button 

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

The assistant button is separate from the power button with the notification light in it.

Cheers :)

• Noch display is not working in calling time
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Hi there @Science and technology Discovery! I understand your concern but maybe this was not the right thread for you to comment in. You should comment in the specific section of the forum for your device. That's where somebody looking for issues will look.
  • jdi000 jdi000
    ✭✭✭  /  edited April 13
    I am looking forward to the 4.2 especially, the led  notification light and google button are 2 things that will be awesome at this price level phone.  I just hope the 4.2 and 3.2 will be avaliable in the us.

Jason
  • Iamrg Iamrg
     / 
    Plz improve Nokia 6.1plus camera
  • MobileCR MobileCR
    ✭✭✭  / 
    singhnsk said:
    I might be wrong. But I have an opinion that Google would be shedding some cash to have a dedicated assistant button on the phones. So, there should be some sort of exchange of bills based on which the dedicated assistant button is introduced. Or is it a mere competition to Samsung's bixby assistant button? Guess Samsung has it's personal benefits on pushing such a button as it can technically increase the adoption of Bixby. But for Nokia, there's barely any benefit, Google does seem to be getting a lot from it though.
    Now my next hope is about unlocked bootloaders and the open source community should be able to remap the key to something else.
    @KartikGada it will still be faster to hold down power button and tap on screenshot option than using assistant button and asking it. Or in fact swipe down the notifications and use that toggle.
    @Manus I completely agree. Using voice commands to invoke an assistant with which you're going to interact by voice is the better option.
    HMD dumb decisions coming from Sarvikas only proves he needs to step down as soon as possible. The number 4 is seen as bad luck in many markets... that is why the REAL Nokia never released a 4 series phone. HMD is only damaging the Nokia brand with such stupid moves! A dedicated camera button would had been way better than than the useless Google assistant
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    MobileCR said:
    HMD dumb decisions coming from Sarvikas only proves he needs to step down as soon as possible. The number 4 is seen as bad luck in many markets... that is why the REAL Nokia never released a 4 series phone. HMD is only damaging the Nokia brand with such stupid moves! A dedicated camera button would had been way better than than the useless Google assistant
    It is not that Juho is the only person in the company. If the blame game needs to be started, then it should be started from the CEO level and then trickle down to the others. I wonder why nobody ever takes the name of that person and only blames the only person from the company who at least does some level of communication with us. Plus not entirely possible that one person takes all of the decisions. If that's happening, then the CEO is doing nothing. Isn't it? It is CEO's job to float a company, take necessary decisions and in the end he will be the one responsible for whether the company succeeds or comes to an end. So, if the things are not moving well, the BOD should interfere in the decisions of the CEO and only then it will move down the line.
    Meanwhile, the number 4 can be avoided in markets where it is seen as a negative. I personally do not follow any such beliefs, but I do respect for those who have a belief in them. And I'm sure that these devices have no value in the highly competitive Chinese market. They have probably never launched such phones in CN (exception: Nokia 3.1 Plus; which IDK why was launched in China).
    For the rest, agreed that being a blind follower is not a good thing. HMD should be doing something in the best interests of the consumers and themselves. Even instead of keeping a dedicated button to anything (camera can be triggered using Volume keys, so it is acceptable I believe), why not just drop enough choice there - Drop a button which can be set to launch whatever the user likes. For you it could be a camera, for me it could be Spotify, or for somebody, it could be a flashlight. Give a choice to the users and let them enjoy the product the way they.
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    When I asked them about the number 4 they told me that since many other brands were now using the number 4 in those markets they didn't think it would be a problem and since they clearly had a space in the range they decided to use it.
  • All this year Nokia's will be have a dedicated Google Assistant button?
  • jdi000 jdi000
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Philip_05 said:
    All this year Nokia's will be have a dedicated Google Assistant button?
    I hope so and a power button with a notification light !

Regards

Jason 
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    @singhnsk that is interesting indeed; I don't follow Nokia Anew but might start. So the 3.2, 4.2 and X71 are the fourth generation of new Nokias then and a break from FIH? I wonder who makes them and who does the software...
  • qt12705 qt12705
     / 
    It is easier to take a screenshot with Volume Down + Power Key. Not as fast as it used to be on WP but definitely faster than pressing the Assistant Button and then telling it to capture a screenshot.

The camera app can be launched by Double Pressing the power Key which will be much faster than asking the google assistant to do it. It would be even faster if users could remap the Google Assistant button and set it to Open the camera app. Please consider the idea of a customisable button or does "Android One" limit this too?

0:32 I guess Juho Sarvikas noticed something and was trying to say it to Pranav Shroff and  Pekka Rantala but they didn't notice. Look at his hand gestures. 😅

Agree with the naming of Nokia 4.2. Naming it 4 or 4.1 could have caused confusion and keeping it 4.2 makes the device line simple and makes the flow look natural. 🙂

You can also take a screenshot by holding in the power button and then choosing "screenshot"

• Kartik Gada Kartik Gada
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    qt12705 said:
    Yes, but that is a long process. Long press power kery > menu appears > tap screenshot option > then after almost a second a screenshot is captured. Now compare this to the speed on taking screenshots on WP. Press Volume Up + Power and you have a screenshot without even a delay of milliseconds. :)
  • San.Phu San.Phu
    ✭✭✭  /  edited May 2
    @singhnsk if hmd is making these phone inhouse. How hmd will control critical issue and the bugs. Will it not be the android one devices ? Just asking for my knowledge but android one is closed os as you known.
  • AMANDEEP1888 AMANDEEP1888
    ✭✭  / 
    matteo.m said:

Wondering why it’s called Nokia 4.2? Catch all the facts on this and a lot more on the newest additions to the Nokia smartphone family, answered by the experts themselves.
    this nokia is giving very poor services and product . they are making you fool dear friends. motherboard of all phones is very poor quality touch freeze problem in all handsets. in chandigarh the service center sco 2473-74 sector 22 gives you third class services. i submitted my phone in ok condition but they returned it cracked . first they gives you phone after sign there jobsheet . then nokia ask you why did you signed on job sheet if you received  cracked phone. all major companies are making fool to indian people. india very well place for frauds and making fool to customers
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Hi @AMANDEEP1888 very sad to hear another tale of poor (and deceiptful?) customer service in India. :(
    ✭✭  / 
    madbilly said:
    Hi @AMANDEEP1888 very sad to hear another tale of poor (and deceiptful?) customer service in India. :(
    This very sad to tell you the customer care executives are not sitting to help customers.
    I wasted money but i always try to warn  all my friends from nokia services and there executives.
    ✭✭  /  edited May 7
    Please don't buy nokia devices. After sale service is zero in india.