Which brand has the best security updates?

Hi all, I found this tweet before I read all the stuff about the Nokia 3, 5 and 6 maybe not getting any more software updates, but it's very good timing!

Which brand has the best security updates?

madbilly madbilly
✭✭✭✭  / 
Hi all,

I found this tweet before I read all the stuff about the Nokia 3, 5 and 6 maybe not getting any more software updates, but it's very good timing! https://mobile.twitter.com/SecX13/status/1115380640298487808

Now, HMD think they are so great offering 3 years of updates, but look at the first table - 3 years doesn't look very impressive any more does it! As others have said elsewhere on the forum - Lumia devices that are 5 years old are going to get updates until the end of the year, but the 3, 5 and 6 might not get anymore updates at all?
"Dead Nokia is still supporting it's phones but new Nokia can't?!"
is not very good for marketing! HMD have to support the 2, 3, 5, 6, 7 and 8 until the end of this year at least, otherwise old Nokia will still be supporting devices longer than them - bizarre!

As I've said before, HMD should stop comparing themselves to other Android phone manufacturers and compare themselves to the real competition, the "auld enemy" - Apple. (MS would also be competition if they hadn't stopped making phones, as they also supported WP8, 8.1 and W10M for several years).

The second table is even more interesting, as this is where we can find Android phone manufacturers. You will see that it lists the Nokia 6 and speculates that it will get updates for 2.5 years! Haha! We are starting to find evidence that this speculation is unfounded, unfortunately. In general though, in this group, HMD look quite good.

Personally, since Nokia 3, 5 and 6 will be on Android 9 I see no reason why HMD can't provide security updates until Android 9 itself is no longer supported by Google, just like Apple and MS do for their phones and OSes.

I hope HMD do what's right.

Cheers :)

Comments

• petrus petrus
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    I do not want to believe that the support for Nokia 3, 5 and 6 has ended. Such a thing should be announced publicly. If this is true and there will be no official announcement, it will be a great disappointment for me.
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    @petrus You're right, HMD should make it clear when the support has finished, not let silence bring the news. I hope that this is all incorrect information from the support team. However, today I emailed then and asked:
    Hello HMD,
    Please can you tell me the date after which my Nokia 8 will no longer receive security updates?
    Thanks,
    And they replied:

​Thank you for contacting Nokia mobile care and for being our customer.

We guarantee two years of software updates and three years of security updates after the first release date of the device. Nokia 8 for the European market was launched in the summer of 2017.

Stay tuned to our social channels for all the latest announcements. Official sites where you can refer to are:
    https://www.facebook.com/NokiaMobile/
    https://twitter.com/NokiaMobile
    Or sign up at https://www.nokia.com/phones for all the latest updates

If you have any other questions, issues, inquiries or suggestions, please don't hesitate to contact us again.

Best regards,
    Jackie,
    Nokia Mobile Care
    Not a very clear answer, but it does seem to make it clear that HMD will not go beyond the initial launch date. Which is frankly not fair considering their phones are very rarely available in all markets on the initial launch day.
  • jdi000 jdi000
    ✭✭✭  / 
    I think 3 years of updates is good for budget and mid range phones.

HMD Nokia phones are a great deal and have forced other Android based phones to do better in the market.  They are one of the only ones is giving 2 version updates as most give 1 or none for a sub 400 dollar  device.

Any Apple phone costs over 2-3 times most mid range phones.  And only since the iPhone 6 would their phones even be in use after 3 years.

The old windows phones are being supported by Microsoft since they were unprofitable and went out of business.  This seems like a saving brand, as they even gave refunds for people who bought windows fitness bands.

Under normal every day use, how many issues has anyone had with security?  

Regards

Jason 
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    @jdi000 to my knowledge I've not had any issues with security on my Nokia 8, but in the past on my Lumia I think I sideloaded a dodgy app which may have led to it being bricked.

Jason you're right that updates and ongoing maintenance cost money, which is one reason why Apple fans would say their phones cost more but ultimately are worth the expense. However Lumias did not cost more than the equivalent spec competition from Android or Apple and have kept updates going for almost 6 years in some cases (1520), so it's not always true that updates really need to cost much additional money. (we can start talking about internal rates of return or discounted cash flow analysis which make it clear that costs in future years only require a small upfront investment in the present).

So, HMD should be able to maintain their promise on security updates and OS/maintenance releases. I would appreciate some clarity from them on what is considered an "OS update" though.

Cheers :)