Any idea when Nokia 6.1 march security update will be available to download for model TA-1050?

I have a Nokia 6.1 and I am currently stuck on the February security update and it is now April, what's going on?

Any idea when Nokia 6.1 march security update will be available to download for model TA-1050?

I have a Nokia 6.1 and I am currently stuck on the February security update and it is now April, what's going on? I heard there is a new build of pie but it would be nice to get a clearer answer as to when the build will be available, I have the model TA-1050 if that helps, VPN trick does not work.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• user1538599537287 user1538599537287
    ✭✭  /  Accepted Answer
    thosbox said:
    If you have bought your Nokia 6.1 from the carphone warehouse they will only enable OTA updates for retail for a year after launch.
    So is not carrier dependant as stated in this thread.
    Hope this clears up the confusion.

That's blatantly false as the Nokia 8 I also have received the March update and that was also bought from Carphone Warehouse. Not only that but Carphone Warehouse is a retailer and as such have no say in updates.
    Hello again carphone warehouse.
    According to your braehead branch the physical phone is guaranteed for a period of two years for physical defects. The software provided is only guaranteed for a year from launch and any updates will be provided in that period as per your terms and conditions, which implies carphone warehouse does  indeed have control over OTA updates.

I would very strongly suggest that both you and hmd global pull your finger out and sort this mess out. You should be able to sort this out in a week.
    Failing that the best course of action is for anyone who has bought a Nokia 6.1 from the carphone warehouse is to return it for your money back as the contract is between carphone warehouse and the purchaser, not your carrier and not hmd global.
    As for the Nokia 8 it launched three months later than the Nokia 6 so you have 3 months of OTA updates before support stops
    I really don't know if it's down to Carphone Warehouse. I bought my unlocked TA-1050 directly from Nokia in the UK, and I am also still on the Feb update - Nokia say it's not them, but as I see it, they have a responsibility to sort this out, or provide us with updates another way.  If they really expect people to put up with this for the lifetime of the phone, then they can't realistically expect many repeat sales...
    https://t.me/nokialatamrepo/ this telegram group should help with that as they post all OTA zip files on there

Answers

• Same here, I am in the UK and still on Pie with February security update. Stock software and on 3 network. Thought I was the last one in the UK still using the 6.1. 
  • I'm also stuck on the Pie February security patch with my UK Nokia 6.1.
    Disappointing really, as up until now updates had been pretty regular from Oreo to Pie and with monthly security patches. It's not carrier related for me as the 6.1 is my about home, media consumption device and is not used with a SIM card.
  • My ta-1050 did not get the update I used the VPN trick using turbo VPN , when I connected to the server in Germany the update didn't go through but when I connected to the Indian server the updates went through 
  • sdbillin sdbillin
    ✭✭  / 
    I'm stuck on February too. Another 2 weeks and the April update will be due
  • Dennn84 Dennn84
     / 
    TA-1050 here. Recieved march update in Serbia two days ago. No problems so far, works great.
  • Still awaiting the March updatew in the UK will have to consider VPN update option
  • jdi000 jdi000
    ✭✭✭  / 
    I have a Nokia 6.1 and I am currently stuck on the February security update and it is now April, what's going on? I heard there is a new build of pie but it would be nice to get a clearer answer as to when the build will be available, I have the model TA-1050 if that helps, VPN trick does not work.
    If you are in the UK, then all carriers have to approve before anything happens.

Regards

Jason
  • jdi000 said:
    If you are in the UK, then all carriers have to approve before anything happens.

Regards

Jason
    Actually I've spoken to ID mobile in the past and they have told me that they do not withhold updates to Android phones, and that I should speak to the manufacturer aka Nokia.
  • San_barn San_barn
    ✭✭  / 
    I am from India, and I already received this patch at the end of March. :)
  • masanza masanza
    ✭✭✭  / 
    UK carrier is the slowest of all around the world when it comes to updates so it's not HMD's fault
  • VPN route to update doesn't work for Ta1050, anyway looking forward to pixel 3a
  • If you have bought your Nokia 6.1 from the carphone warehouse they will only enable OTA updates for retail for a year after launch.

• I brought my 6.1 from the carphone warehouse does that mean I won't get any updates till a year after they have been released @bill milligan if not can you explain your comments in more detail 
  • I brought my 6.1 from the carphone warehouse does that mean I won't get any updates till a year after they have been released @bill milligan if not can you explain your comments in more detail 
    Hello carphone warehouse.
    When I buy an android one phone that is guaranteed to have two years of monthly updates I expect to get monthly updates for two years, especially as according to Google it's an enterprise phone with assured monthly updates.
    I do not want to have to go through the **** I went through with my Moto G4 that quit getting updates exactly a year after release and coincidentally was bought from the carphone warehouse. In order to update the phone to deal with a number of security issues I had to sideload updates.
    No one would take ownership of the issue to reenable OTA updates.
    The lack of OTA updates i.e march 2019 and the newly released April 2019 updates,  appears to be an exact repeat scenario right down to the timing of no OTA updates, exactly a year after launch. Coincidence?
  • terminusaquo terminusaquo
    ✭✭✭  / 
    If you have bought your Nokia 6.1 from the carphone warehouse they will only enable OTA updates for retail for a year after launch.

That's blatantly false as the Nokia 8 I also have received the March update and that was also bought from Carphone Warehouse. Not only that but Carphone Warehouse is a retailer and as such have no say in updates.
  • Still no march security patch and it's almost may! @HMD_Laura can we have an explanation as to why we haven't received the march security patch yet? I have a Nokia 6.1 TA1050, is there something wrong with the rollout? And is there any way to sideload the update if there is?
  • If you have bought your Nokia 6.1 from the carphone warehouse they will only enable OTA updates for retail for a year after launch.

According to your braehead branch the physical phone is guaranteed for a period of two years for physical defects. The software provided is only guaranteed for a year from launch and any updates will be provided in that period as per your terms and conditions, which implies carphone warehouse does  indeed have control over OTA updates.

I would very strongly suggest that both you and hmd global pull your finger out and sort this mess out. You should be able to sort this out in a week.
    Failing that the best course of action is for anyone who has bought a Nokia 6.1 from the carphone warehouse is to return it for your money back as the contract is between carphone warehouse and the purchaser, not your carrier and not hmd global.
    As for the Nokia 8 it launched three months later than the Nokia 6 so you have 3 months of OTA updates before support stops
  • thosbox thosbox
    ✭✭  / 

I really don't know if it's down to Carphone Warehouse. I bought my unlocked TA-1050 directly from Nokia in the UK, and I am also still on the Feb update - Nokia say it's not them, but as I see it, they have a responsibility to sort this out, or provide us with updates another way.  If they really expect people to put up with this for the lifetime of the phone, then they can't realistically expect many repeat sales...
    ✭✭  / 
    VPN route to update doesn't work for Ta1050, anyway looking forward to pixel 3a
    Just found the OTA files, I've shared them in a reply to someone else in this thread
    ✭✭  / 
    sdbillin said:
    I'm stuck on February too. Another 2 weeks and the April update will be due
    Please see my reply to someone else's comment for a link to the OTA zip files
    ✭✭  / 
    I'm also stuck on the Pie February security patch with my UK Nokia 6.1.
    Disappointing really, as up until now updates had been pretty regular from Oreo to Pie and with monthly security patches. It's not carrier related for me as the 6.1 is my about home, media consumption device and is not used with a SIM card.
    Please see my reply above which contains a link to the OTA zip files for all Nokia phones including Nokia 6.1
  • My TA-1043 in the UK was still stuck on the February update - I downloaded the update from this thread https://forum.xda-developers.com/nokia-6-2018/help/uk-ta-1050-updates-t3933659   placed it in the root folder of the phone internal storage, rebooted, and the phone did the update. After that it detected the April security patch itself.  
  • and the May security update straight afterwards
  • Had a similar issue with lack of updates about a year ago and again had to scour forums for workarounds. Nokia have been really poor at offering any support for users who don't get promised updates - it's not that they appear late, they don't appear at all.
  • Robert Paulton Robert Paulton
    ✭✭  / 
    It seems as though the updates have dried up. It looks like no phones have had anything since Jan 2019. I hope this doesn't mean we don't get Q. 

The Android One idea is that we get monthly updates and it is why I bought my Nokia 6.1. It would be nice to hear from Nokia on this!
  • tudor georgescu tudor georgescu
    ✭✭  / 
    If you didn't have updates since January, you're doing something wrong. Hint: it's not Nokia's fault.
  • maxh maxh
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Well, I have my 6.1(TA-1043) since april 2018. Received the June update a few days ago. Never missed a monthly update. It's country, provider depending.