Nokia 9 PureView Camera

I want this discussion to be focused on the feedback from Nokia 9 PureView owners.

Nokia 9 PureView Camera

I want this discussion to be focused on the feedback from Nokia 9 PureView owners.

The ideas, issues You have, what disappointed You about it, and what would You change or add to the Camera app and camera itself, maybe even a little exchange of our work done with it.

If You, like me, own one, You probably already losing your cool when it comes to the practically non existent low light capabilities of 9, and the noise in the not-even-so low-light situations. 

I'm dying for a Manual Focus slider control in PRO mode.

Depth tool isn't precise at all when it comes to focus on the edge of a desired object or person in the picture, either.

Amount of HDR added automatically is killing me as well.

Did I mentioned the problem with the noise in the pictures? Of course I did. 

Next. Overexposured photos from the front camera. Really, even front? 

It's like... I know it can all be done by software updates, I really do, but I was waiting for a proper Nokia shooter since the 1020, which, in my opinion by the way, shoot way sharper photos and had better Pro mode, and I see what folks are doing with they P30 Pro's 

Maybe PureView sould get it's own, dedicated app? I just hope someone at Nokia hears us and will take care of us :)

Comments

• rupert rupert
    ✭✭  / 
    You and I did not read the spec close enough. 12MP is 12mp. Our 1020s were kicking out 36MP with some optical zoom. We had a shutter button, manual controls the worked, a lanyard and a add-on battery pack. Yes, we also had that yellow tint, post processing took care of that.  Macro issues were handled with the zoom. There were those that whined about the bump, well it kept you from putting you fingers over the lens.
    I just wanted the 9 so much to be great, but it is not. It is okay for the money, but not what I wanted. Those that are pleased with the 9 never experienced the Nokia at its best. 
  • Gattsuh Gattsuh
    ✭✭  / 
    My Nokia 7 plus with gcam takes better shots then my 9. I hope they fix the camera in future updates. The autofocus is totally ****, indoors and low light is useless. Raw files is the only good. Will not buy another Nokia again this one is ending up in a box soon if there's no more improvement.
    Oh I heard they're releasing another 50 new models with buggy software.
  • Tim9 Tim9
    ✭✭  / 
    Motion pictures seems to break auto-focus. The video is always perfectly focused but the still is often all blurry. I assume this is just a timing issue where they are taking the picture before auto-focus has finished.
  • Grodelj Grodelj
    ✭✭  / 

I recently got one and I am shocked about low light performance. I cannot remember when I had last phone that was so bad in low light, I'd guess it could be compared to nokia e72. It's crazy. I think that this cannot be solved with SW updates.

• Eggman Eggman
    ✭✭  /  edited May 31
    Possibly this is going to be the solution? Night Sight? I hope there is a major software update too.
    https://twitter.com/NokiaMobile/status/1134059421351342080
  • Tomasz ExFiddling Tomasz ExFiddling
    ✭✭  / 

I am afraid that this night mode will be for the new phone, which is planning to start in India on June 6. The PURE View is based on unusual hardware and will require special adaptation. And as a limited assumption model it will be sure, knowing the HMD policy postponed But I hope that it is wrong
  • Grodelj Grodelj
    ✭✭  / 
    I am also afraid, that this will not be for existing phones. Nokia 9 doesn't even have OIS, so there is really little (none?) hope for night shots to get better.  
    ✭✭  / 
    Tripod is IOS for PureView.Threre was no IOS for many years, and people was able to take shots in low light.
    I would not be hoping for IOS for Nokia 9 PV. It would have to be IOS X 5, or sensor stabilisation :-)
  • Stukloplast Stukloplast
    ✭✭  / 
    The low light photos is not an issue, just wrong expectations from users. I say that from the stand of an amateur photographer, who knows the principles of photography. A tripod is needed even for big black cameras with BIG sensors for "noisless" photos. 
    The problems are 1. Bad focusing with inconsistent results. 2. Lack of manual focus!!! 3. Absolutely ridiculous depth mapping - I'd prefer to draw the depth map manually and it'll be better for sure. 4. Since the ONLY update till now, the RAW quality degraded, and the so called cooperation with Adobe also degraded the quality of the resulting jpgs - at highest quality exported jpgs come out no more than 5MB. 5. In monochrome mode, the image on the composed image on the screen and the resulting raw and jpg are different - the image is shifted to one side and proper composing is hard. 
    May be this is for now :) but I don't believe some developer will ever take care over this...
    ✭✭  / 
    It is also strange that in monochrome mode there is exposure correction, but it works only on JPG.RAW is unfortunately often terribly overburned.
  • Gattsuh Gattsuh
    ✭✭  / 
    The low light photos is not an issue, just wrong expectations from users. I say that from the stand of an amateur photographer, who knows the principles of photography. A tripod is needed even for big black cameras with BIG sensors for "noisless" photos. 
    The problems are 1. Bad focusing with inconsistent results. 2. Lack of manual focus!!! 3. Absolutely ridiculous depth mapping - I'd prefer to draw the depth map manually and it'll be better for sure. 4. Since the ONLY update till now, the RAW quality degraded, and the so called cooperation with Adobe also degraded the quality of the resulting jpgs - at highest quality exported jpgs come out no more than 5MB. 5. In monochrome mode, the image on the composed image on the screen and the resulting raw and jpg are different - the image is shifted to one side and proper composing is hard. 
    May be this is for now :) but I don't believe some developer will ever take care over this...
    Well in pro mode there is no issues. But there is issues indoors in auto mode especially when theres bad lightning.
    Then the camera performs like a 50$ phone. It's even worse because it fails to stitch the image properly. And that's probably never going to get fixed.
  • user1528226019961 user1528226019961
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Well, I would say that for me "pro mode" still has two major issues, namely lack of "manual focus" (or at least an "infinite focus position" setting) and the bug where ISO and shutter speed are always reset when tap-focusing on the screen (auto settings are used irrespective of our previously chosen manual settings). This latter bug lasts until the camera automatically resets focus a after a few seconds (noticed as the disappearance of the focus circunference).

Let's hope that today we will have some good news from the "June 6 event"...

Thanks
    ✭✭  / 
    Unfortunately, so far, silence. I am afraid, watching the HMD policy, that they will focus on new phones, as usual, ignoring the problems of those already present on the market.
  • Islehopper Islehopper
    ✭✭  / 
    Crickets...
  • woodensboy woodensboy
    ✭✭  / 
    I'm loving my Nokia 9 PureView, I'm a year into this phone and have worked in 3 modes. I use RAW and JPEG setting and Open Camera for non HDR photos. Food photos are over processed in the default JPEG so I use OC but the default JPEG's work perfectly for detail in most situations. The RAW photos are loaded with information and are a joy to work with in PS. 
    Here is a converted RAW file with different crops and filtered.
  • Ethan_MS-DOS Ethan_MS-DOS
    ✭✭  / 
    I bought the Nokia 9 to take the place of my Lumia 950 XL. I too also loved my Lumia 1020. Still have them both for camera comparisons. At first, I was surprised with what the Nokia 9 cameras produced. Not like, "Oh, this is amazing!" but instead, "Oh. Wasn't expecting that. Guess it's kinda cool. New way to look at things?" I've found its not impossible to get amazing photos from the Nokia 9. Hardware wise, it appears to be rather capable. Although, it's hardware has some limitations compared to the 1020 and 950 XL. They can do things this thing just can't and that's a disappointing step backwards. However, with some experimentation, I've used my Nokia 9 alongside my other Lumia camera phones to give me a unique shot that they just aren't going to produce because of the way they're designed compared to the Nokia 9. I wanted my Nokia 9 to beat them. Instead it's just a companion to them because it can't do it all and it's results are just too unpredictable and downright odd sometimes. At least it's given me amazing photos sometimes and it has beaten my Lumias before in a few instances.