Does the Nokia 7.1 suffer from the loose charging port issue suffered by other Nokia phones?

I've read a lot of reports on the Net that some Nokia phones suffer from a loose charging port. The Nokia 7 Plus, the 5.1, 6.1, 8.1 seem to come up.

Does the Nokia 7.1 suffer from the loose charging port issue suffered by other Nokia phones?

Gort Gort
✭✭  / 
I've read a lot of reports on the Net that some Nokia phones suffer from a loose charging port. The Nokia 7 Plus, the 5.1, 6.1, 8.1 seem to come up. However, when searching about the 7.1, I can't seem to find anyone who seems to be affected (tell a lie, I have just now found some post on Reddit). Does the 7.1 suffer the same flaw?

I want to buy this phone, but if it's suffering the same issue as the others, then that's a deal breaker for me. So, anyone using a 7.1 suffer this problem?

Answers

• singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Hi Gort, I don't know how widespread the issue is, but I've seen a few users who have reported such an issue. Not sure where I've seen them, but it must be here or else Reddit :)
  • MatthiasR MatthiasR
    ✭✭  / 
    In my approximately 5-month-old Nokia 7.1 TA-1095, there are no problems with the USB-C charging port yet.

It may be that it affects a certain part, but today it is unfortunately very common with all manufacturers of electronic devices.

• Gort Gort
    ✭✭  / 
    Thanks for the answers. It does seem worrying to me that this could be the case. My current phone has over three years of usage, being charged plenty of times, yet the charge port is as secure as when I got it. OK, it's not a USB-C port and I tend not to be rough with it, but still.

The charging port breaking is like having your stomach taken out and expecting to live without being able to digest.
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited April 19
    @Gort I agree on that. It kind of defies the purpose of having a durable and robust device if in the end one of the internal components will fail off. For once you can live with a broken volume button or headphone jack but not the charger. If you go ahead with the purchase, then all I can hope is that they changed their component supplier and the issue no longer persists. 
  • Many reports on Amazon of charging point coming loose/not working correctly after a few months of use. I was ready to buy this phone today, not this issue is making me hesitate. Very frustrating.
  • Gort Gort
    ✭✭  / 
    tman202 said:
    Many reports on Amazon of charging point coming loose/not working correctly after a few months of use. I was ready to buy this phone today, not this issue is making me hesitate. Very frustrating.
    There is a workaround that might sway me, and that's to buy one of those magnetic port adapters. It's a small adapter that fits in the port and attaches magnetically to the power/data wire. You keep the adapter in the port and it doesn't stick out much.

Thing is, most phones in this price bracket have something or other wrong with it, from proximity sensors not working right, bad receiver reception (I'm in a relatively lowish reception area), bloatware galore, and other issues, which makes me feel that I should just stick with my current old phone for a bit longer, which still performs, albeit a bit slow. However, the magnetic port thing might work for me, because then the port won't be put under stress.

I like the Nokia 7.1, but a weak charging/data port is worrying. I'm still, like you, hesitating.
  • jdi000 jdi000
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Gort said:
    tman202 said:
    Many reports on Amazon of charging point coming loose/not working correctly after a few months of use. I was ready to buy this phone today, not this issue is making me hesitate. Very frustrating.
    There is a workaround that might sway me, and that's to buy one of those magnetic port adapters. It's a small adapter that fits in the port and attaches magnetically to the power/data wire. You keep the adapter in the port and it doesn't stick out much.

Thing is, most phones in this price bracket have something or other wrong with it, from proximity sensors not working right, bad receiver reception (I'm in a relatively lowish reception area), bloatware galore, and other issues, which makes me feel that I should just stick with my current old phone for a bit longer, which still performs, albeit a bit slow. However, the magnetic port thing might work for me, because then the port won't be put under stress.

I like the Nokia 7.1, but a weak charging/data port is worrying. I'm still, like you, hesitating.
    Hello

The Nokia 7.1 is a great phone and have had no issues with the device.  I see no difference in the port compair d to other phones.  Of an issue arises I am confident nokia support will get it resolved.  I have not read or heard of an issue with the 7.1 at this pont.

Regards
    Jason
  • seanetta seanetta
    ✭✭✭  /  edited April 25
    I've had wiggle in charging ports on Honor and Motorola phones and never have they had any issues. My brothers Nokia 6.1 port wiggles and he's had it for a whole year and never had any charging issues. Stop stressing 
  • Gort Gort
    ✭✭  / 
    seanetta said:
    I've had wiggle in charging ports on Honor and Motorola phones and never have they had any issues. My brothers Nokia 6.1 port wiggles and he's had it for a whole year and never had any charging issues. Stop stressing 
    Hmm... a previous post got deleted or flagged due to my post-editing.

I'll just say that I'm not stressing about this, just gathering information before I purchase a phone. I've not discounted the Nokia 7.1 yet, and it's still on my list of phones to get, but I'd like to gather as much info about it beforehand, because it'll be with me for a few years. Look before you leap sort of thing.

Thanks for the response. Positive responses are just as informative.
  • tman202 tman202
     / 
    The charging port issues I mentioned above on Amazon pushed me away from the 7.1. I ended up going with a Moto X4 "standard" version (not the Prime version with their bloatware), 64 GB/4 GB RAM from amazon for $168 after $70 discount for being accepted for an Amazon credit card (that I may never use), which took less than a minute to apply for and get accepted. Was between that and the G7, couldn't pass up the X4 at that price, not many reports of problems. I'm happy with it so far (1 week). Def faster than my previous G5+ that went swimming. 
  • Junior Sutton Junior Sutton
    ✭✭  / 
    I have Nokia 6 (2017) and I'm dealing with the loose charging port now, very frustrating! 
  • chronos56 chronos56
    ✭✭  / 
    The USB-C port ion my 7.1 started flaking out a few weeks ago. I purchased the phone the end of October 2018, it was a USA day 1 phone. 

Nokia warranty supplied a label, and phone was returned to me about 8 days later, seems to be fine now. I live in Florida, repair was in Ft. Worth Texas. My only complaint was the outgoing label was FedEx 2 day, the return was FedEx 4 day, though FedEx actually delivered in 3 days.

I really like the phone and the repair seems to have resolved the problem, I hope it holds. Per good security practice and Nokia repair insisting the phone have no log in password I wiped the phone prior to shipping then had to restore after it arrived, bit of a PIA.

I also purchased a phone for my wife at Christmas, no problems with hers.
  • Jaitun Jaitun
    ✭✭  / 
    In my 5 months old nokia 7.1 TA-1097  I'm dealing with the loose charging port its too much irritating.
  • jdi000 jdi000
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Jaitun said:
    In my 5 months old nokia 7.1 TA-1097  I'm dealing with the loose charging port its too much irritating.
    If you are having trouble charging the phone please  contact support on the my phone app.

Regards

Jason
  • Smasher Smasher
    ✭✭  /  edited May 7
    Well, Nokia's products like x5 x6 x7 that are sold only in China have a very bad reputation about their charging points, especially x6.
  • jimmyireland jimmyireland
    ✭✭✭  / 
    looks like this is now an issue like the nokia 7 plus had this is not good at all 
  • jdi000 jdi000
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Hello

The USB c port has some play on all devices.  It is a much different connection than a micro usb.  If it does not charge then support should be contacted.

Regards

Jason
  • Michael Childers Michael Childers
    ✭✭  /  edited July 3
    Yes, it does. I just had to send mine in for charging port repair. I am OCD and put tempered glass/case on all my phones out of the box, and only charge the phone when sitting flat on the counter. I typically keep phones for 2+ years and the last 2 were moto and they both looked like new when i moved on from them. This phone didn't make it 7 months! I'm disappointed.
  • Michael Childers Michael Childers
    ✭✭  /  edited July 3
    Very disappointed indeed.
  • jimmyireland jimmyireland
    ✭✭✭  / 
    My nokia 7.1 now has the same problem
  • v Vesnov v Vesnov
    ✭✭  / 
    My Nokia 7.1 works without problems ,except little issues such as rare restarts)))
  • Hi, my Nokia 7 plus is not charging. Had been using it only for 4 months. Mobile is not charging. Wouldn't use another cable. Adapter is working. As I'm in Madina KSA where do I send this for repair?
  • Milesh Dabhi Milesh Dabhi
    ✭✭  / 
    Right...
    I agree with you...bro..

• bhagyaraj_pr bhagyaraj_pr
    ✭✭  / 
    Yes, this is true with my phone. I called customer service and they walked me through battery calibration. I told them, it was not battery related and it is related to charging port. Seems like the lady did not understand anything at all. She still went through battery calibration and told me to call back...
  • jdi000 jdi000
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Yes, this is true with my phone. I called customer service and they walked me through battery calibration. I told them, it was not battery related and it is related to charging port. Seems like the lady did not understand anything at all. She still went through battery calibration and told me to call back...
    Which phone 7.1?  Use the support app on the phone and reach out to support that way.
  • My parents have both got Nokia 5 they have no issues. I have had a 6 and and 8.1 again with no charger port issues. My new (used) 7.1 seems good. Fingers crossed it's only affecting small numbers of devices. Port issues can happen with any device. A work colleagues Samsung has had its usb type c replaced after only a few months. 
  • ajaypanday678 ajaypanday678
    ✭✭  / 
    i have problem with nokia 7.1  with its usb port .
  • FanNokia FanNokia
    ✭✭  / 
    Tengo el Nokia 7.1 y me funciona al 100!!! :)
  • Travis Draper Travis Draper
    ✭✭  / 
    My wife and I have nokia 7.1s and I just sent mine in to get the port fixed, and I will be sending my wife's in soon because her port is starting to fail too.
  • user1527798514526 user1527798514526
    ✭✭  /  edited October 14
    Magnetic Fast Charge Cable 3A
    https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/mbZFcVWs

I've bought 2/3 for different phones.