Front camera resolution

Hello I was just looking through 3 different apps in Play Store curious of my Nokia 8.1 phone information.

Front camera resolution

seanetta seanetta
✭✭✭  /  edited April 2019
Hello

I was just looking through 3 different apps in Play Store curious of my Nokia 8.1 phone information. Oddly what confused me was each app showed the front camera as 5mp. I took an image and it does show as 20mp. I do think the front camera is terrible quality anyway. Are these apps reading wrong info?info?? 

Comments

• sayyed vihan sayyed vihan
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Yes...thus apps r giving wrong information @seanetta
  • Argho Sarkar Argho Sarkar
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited April 2019
    This is very old issue. My 2nd  discussion on Nokia community was about this 5MP issue in front camera. 

Actually, our Front camera uses Pixel binning technology (4 to 1) i.e it takes 4 images of 5MP resolution and combines then to produce 20MP images which is only supported by the Nokia Camera Application and no other third party apps supports it and that's why they have just 5MP restrictions and not 20MP. 

You can check that the picture taken from Nokia Camera app is actually 20MP but from any other apps it's 5MP.

@seanetta @sayyed vihan They are not showing wrong information. It is same as the 48MP camera phones(Except Honor View 20) which uses the same 4*1 pixel binning technology and they too will show 12MP in every Third party apps.

Here was my post-->
    https://community.phones.nokia.com/discussion/40229/antutu-and-cpu-z-for-nokia-8-1
  • seanetta seanetta
    ✭✭✭  / 
    This is very old issue. My 2nd  discussion on Nokia community was about this 5MP issue in front camera. 

Actually, our Front camera uses Pixel binning technology (4 to 1) i.e it takes 4 images of 5MP resolution and combines then to produce 20MP images which is only supported by the Nokia Camera Application and no other third party apps supports it and that's why they have just 5MP restrictions and not 20MP. 

You can check that the picture taken from Nokia Camera app is actually 20MP but from any other apps it's 5MP.

@seanetta @sayyed vihan They are not showing wrong information. It is same as the 48MP camera phones(Except Honor View 20) which uses the same 4*1 pixel binning technology and they too will show 12MP in every Third party apps.

Here was my post-->
    https://community.phones.nokia.com/discussion/40229/antutu-and-cpu-z-for-nokia-8-1
    Ah I see, no worries just curious and confused that's all
  • Argho Sarkar Argho Sarkar
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Curiosity is a bliss @seanetta
    Hope you got the answer you were looking about why 5MP being shown on every third party apps for the front camera of Nokia 8.1. 
  • seanetta seanetta
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Curiosity is a bliss @seanetta
    Hope you got the answer you were looking about why 5MP being shown on every third party apps for the front camera of Nokia 8.1. 
    Don't know 🤔