And Then suddenly This Happened

Looks like that's my Nokia 8 story done, it came totally out of the blue, i made a call and it was fine, i checked the time a couple of minutes later and it was broken :'( (Image) A massive thank you to everyone that i have chatted to on here and has put up with me, i know it is difficult at times because of language barriers etc.

And Then suddenly This Happened

MrBelter MrBelter
✭✭✭✭  / 
Looks like that's my Nokia 8 story done, it came totally out of the blue, i made a call and it was fine, i checked the time a couple of minutes later and it was broken :'(

A massive thank you to everyone that i have chatted to on here and has put up with me, i know it is difficult at times because of language barriers etc. I wont be far cos i have bought a Nokia 8.1 i know i am a sucker for punishment but there isn't anything else at the price at the minute to compete with it.

Comments

• petrus petrus
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    So I'm sorry about what happened to you.  :(
     I wish you a lot of positive experiences with Nokia 8.1.  ;)
  • MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    On a brighter note mate i have a working compass now :D

The Nokia 8.1 is still setting up but it feels so much nicer than the Nokia 8, it truly is a beautiful thing to hold.
  • martin.fd martin.fd
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited April 23
    Too bad ... for us here :'(
    But fine for you... ;)
    All the best and see you soon :)
    (And let yourself be pointed in the right direction B))

• marsic marsic
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    @mrbelter but isn't it still covered by warranty?
  • ignas ignas
    ✭✭✭  / 
    So you dropped your wife's on concrete, but yours is the one that died? :D
    How old was it? Any damage to it before?

Doesn't sound good with things like this coming out of the blue, but on the brighter side it seems to be a loose connector? Or so I feel like hearing.
  • MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    marsic said:
    @mrbelter but isn't it still covered by warranty?
    Yeah but they tend to have a 30 day turnaround in the UK and i can't wait that long, I'll get it repaired and either flog it or shove it in a cupboard.

I'm going to stick my neck out here and say you'd think the 8.1 was made by a different company  :o
  • MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    ignas said:

Doesn't sound good with things like this coming out of the blue, but on the brighter side it seems to be a loose connector? Or so I feel like hearing.
    Mine is immaculate, it still looks like brand new, it is 18 months old.
  • ignas ignas
    ✭✭✭  / 
    mrbelter said:
    ignas said:

I guess I'll mark September 2019 on my calendar.
  • user1508928527225 user1508928527225
    ✭✭✭  /  edited April 24
    mrbelter said:
    ignas said:

My 8 also developed HW issues recently and is about the same age. For the record I'm not suggesting any planned obsolesce conspiracy theories though, I suppose they are just in general reaching age where accumulated daily handling, environmental factors and whatnot push some of them over the proverbial cliff.

Anyway, good luck with the 8.1, I hope it'll be a more boring ride in the positive way, i.e. no equivalents of the compass issue etc :)
  • MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    I'm ringing John Lewis in a bit so I'll let you all know how it all pans out because in the UK it will be them dealing with it and not HMD.

8.1 is really good so far however you can tell it isn't powered by an 835 as you get the odd micro lag and stutter (although i have never noticed this on the lesser powered 7 Plus) and it is on the February patch :D
  • marsic marsic
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    @mrbelter shouldn't the CPU on the 8.1 (may i call it by its real name, "7.1+/-"  ?) be the equivalent of the SD 845, at least close to it? I've read somewhere about that "equivalence", have I misunderstood that data?
  • MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    No the 835 is faster in every way mate.
  • potemkin potemkin
    ✭✭✭  /  edited April 24
    marsic said:
    @mrbelter shouldn't the CPU on the 8.1 (may i call it by its real name, "7.1+/-"  ?) be the equivalent of the SD 845, at least close to it? I've read somewhere about that "equivalence", have I misunderstood that data?
    SD 710 is slower than SD 835, especially regarding graphics performance.
  • potemkin potemkin
    ✭✭✭  /  edited April 24
    mrbelter said:
    8.1 is really good so far however you can tell it isn't powered by an 835 as you get the odd micro lag and stutter (although i have never noticed this on the lesser powered 7 Plus) and it is on the February patch :D
    It's not all about cpu and gpu. Nokia 8.1 could have slower internal storage unit than one in 7 Plus or even somewhat slower RAM.
  • MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    potemkin said:
    mrbelter said:
    It's not all about cpu and gpu. Nokia 8.1 could have slower internal storage unit than one in 7 Plus or even somewhat slower RAM.
    True but i dare say it is powerful enough to run everyday tasks stutter and micro lag free, it feels more of an optimisation issue. It isn't when apps are coming from storage and even the slowest RAM available today is fast enough for everyday tasks.
  • MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Right John Lewis have accepted the phone requires a bit of TLC and wanted me to drive it to my nearest store, problem is i don't drive and the nearest store is 30 miles away and public transport in the UK is not only crap it is expensive.

They have said i can return it via mail with covering letters etc. which is undoubtedly hold things up but at least it is easier than trying to get there. They said it will be between 4 and 28 working days once they have it.

It will be interesting to see what the fault is because the screen still works in that it knows what icons should be where when you tap the corrupted part of the screen, so it looks like the ribbon connector has failed to me.
  • MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Well it is away to meet its maker so to speak LOL lets see how long it takes to come back.
  • jdan jdan
    ✭✭✭  / 
    mrbelter said:

When using the camera on the 8.1 and you tap to set focus and exposure lock it does not return to the centre of the screen for 10 seconds and boy does that make a difference, it feels like a lifetime compared to how quick it returns on the 8.
    Quoted in the topic Nokia 8 - Pie - Camera app - focus in the section Ideas.
  • Jivko Antonov Jivko Antonov
    ✭✭✭  / 
    mrbelter said:
    I know this is the wrong forum but hopefully this will end up on the Nokia 8 at some point.

When using the camera on the 8.1 and you tap to set focus and exposure lock it does not return to the centre of the screen for 10 seconds and boy does that make a difference, it feels like a lifetime compared to how quick it returns on the 8.
    Is your camera version 91.9.1150.90, the same as Nokia 7.1?
  • MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    No, on this 8.1 it is: 91.9.1180.51.

Low light photos on the 8.1 are massively improved over what i was taking on my Nokia 8 as well.
  • nokia n9 nokia n9
     /  edited April 25
    what's happening
  • marsic marsic
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Oh snap, it's contagious! 😮
  • MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    nokia n9 said:
    what's happening
    Hurrah my phone has a twin  :D
  • potemkin potemkin
    ✭✭✭  / 
    That's what you get when you buy flagship "nokia phone". You get scammed.
  • today it's my friend's turnPhần mềm của bạn
  • potemkin potemkin
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Nokia 8 hardware is starting to fail on a massive scale and customers outside Europe have only 1 year warranty.
  • MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Other forums are littered with people saying theirs have packed in as well so it seems to be quite a common fault, i wonder if HMD will address it for people with only a 1 year warranty because if they keep on failing its not going to look good on them at all is it.
  • MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Just to add i should have searched to see if there was another thread on this before i posted and of course there was.