OZO Playback and Tune - wishful thinking for us?

Hi all, Thanks to Nokiamob I became aware of OZO Playback, a new technology from Nokia which enhances audio output from a device.

OZO Playback and Tune - wishful thinking for us?

madbilly madbilly
✭✭✭✭  /  edited April 29
Hi all,

Thanks to Nokiamob I became aware of OZO Playback, a new technology from Nokia which enhances audio output from a device. All the detail is here https://www.ozo-stag.nokiaresearch.com/en/products/ozo-playback.html so I won't repeat it, but the most interesting thing for me is that it could even work with our phones with mono speakers!

This is because OZO Playback can use the earpiece speaker as one of the speakers, so even with mono speakers like most of HMD's Nokia phones it's possible (I believe) to get stereo playback! It might not be very good, but it would be something, right?

I also noticed OZO Tune here: https://www.ozo-stag.nokiaresearch.com/en/products/ozo-audio.html This is a feature I had not seen before and it would be interesting to see how it works.

I would love it if HMD could bring these feature to existing Nokia phones, however I think that hope if forlorn considering that HMD aren't even fixing broken features with the current phones and are now even starting to lag behind with security updates.

Anyway, if not current phones, maybe HMD can bring this to new phones? I hope so.

Cheers :)
Tagged:

Comments

• petrus petrus
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Hi @madbilly ;
    Wow, I like this.  I don't think it will be available on old devices :/ , but it is quite possible that something new is coming. :smiley:  
    Thank you for the articles.  ;)
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Yes it's good news that Nokia are still working on things like this. Sadly, they are no longer exclusive to HMD because OPO will release their new flagship using OZO Audio... I hope that they demonstrate all the possibilities and force HMD to include all the OZO features on new phones, and maybe retrofit to older ones because - you remember ;) - Nokia phones "just keep getting better!" :D
    Cheers :smiley:
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    madbilly said:
    All the detail is here https://www.ozo-stag.nokiaresearch.com/en/products/ozo-playback.html so I won't repeat it, but the most interesting thing for me is that it could even work with our phones with mono speakers!

This is because OZO Playback can use the earpiece speaker as one of the speakers, so even with mono speakers like most of HMD's Nokia phones it's possible (I believe) to get stereo playback! It might not be very good, but it would be something, right?
    I just found out that what I described is kind of what HMD already did with the Nokia 6's "stereo" speakers. They used a bandpass filter to prevent too low frequencies going to the earpiece speaker and as a consequence the "left" speaker is very quiet. So, maybe this would not be a good thing to do on the 8!
    Cheers :)