Charging port problem

After a month of using the Nokia 8.1,a phone I love so much, I've now started to have a problem.

Charging port problem

seanetta seanetta
✭✭✭  / 
After a month of using the Nokia 8.1,a phone I love so much, I've now started to have a problem. When plugged into my PC it often disconnects itself and then reconnects. The charging port does have some wiggle, just like all other Nokia phones out there. This problem doesn't happen when plugged into mains with standard Nokia charger. I've tried 3 cables into my PC but issue still occurs and is totally random. I wiggle the cable about and nothing happens, then an hour later it randomly disconnects by itself. Sometimes it disconnects when I pick it up or move it, other times when it is just sitting there. Charging port and USB ports all clean and tried 3 cables. Thankfully it doesn't happen with mains charger but am worried in time in may do. Am starting to become not very confident in Nokia lately under HMD, they seem to have the same problems in all their handsets. Just when I think things are going swimmingly well then something happens. Not happy 

Comments

• sayyed vihan sayyed vihan
    ✭✭  / 
    I m not facing this....i can connect my pc with phone easily.... @seanetta
  • seanetta seanetta
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Yes, I can connect too but I'm saying it connects and disconnecta itself often 
  • Ravinder Bhambhu Ravinder Bhambhu
    ✭✭  / 
    The problem is in your pc.
  • Nokia charging ports are very poor in quality.
    ✭✭  / 
    seanetta said:
    Yes, I can connect too but I'm saying it connects and disconnecta itself often 
    I never face this but.....i connect my phone yesterday nd trasftra my all phone date in my pc....nd its didn't disconnect....may b its ur pc port problem.... @seanetta
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭✭  / 
    It is a pretty standard and old issue, not limited to Nokia phones and phones of the past have had similar issues too. I've always faced dropped connectivity when connecting my phones to the PCs. So, it is always better to keep the phone lying down idle while you do USB transfer operations.
    I can't vouch if this is a problem with USB ports. But all I can say is that I've faced this often in phones from several brands, including Motorola, OnePlus, Asus and Samsung. I won't worry about it as long as charging connectivity works fine.
  • seanetta seanetta
    ✭✭✭  / 
    singhnsk said:
    It is a pretty standard and old issue, not limited to Nokia phones and phones of the past have had similar issues too. I've always faced dropped connectivity when connecting my phones to the PCs. So, it is always better to keep the phone lying down idle while you do USB transfer operations.
    I can't vouch if this is a problem with USB ports. But all I can say is that I've faced this often in phones from several brands, including Motorola, OnePlus, Asus and Samsung. I won't worry about it as long as charging connectivity works fine.
    Yeah, I actually tried my brothers phone and same happened so it's not my handset thankfully. Just got worried after 7 Plus problems before 
  • ashish joy ashish joy
    ✭✭  / 
    I am using Nokia 8.1 since January 2019 and some days back I too have started to face the same problem. Please help!!!
  • Rahber Ali Rahber Ali
    ✭✭  /  edited May 1
    Why are people connecting their phones to PCs anyway? In an age where streaming, cloud data storage and WiFi based file transfer is so widely available. Even Torrents get downloaded better on the phone these days. Or am I missing something?
  • seanetta seanetta
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Why are people connecting their phones to PCs anyway? In an age where streaming, cloud data storage and WiFi based file transfer is so widely available. Even Torrents get downloaded better on the phone these days. Or am I missing something?
    What kind of stupid question is that?? I use my computer for many things to store my music, images, browse Internet, listen to music, do alot of work and editing and viewing things on a larger screen. Not everyone has unlimited Internet and is able to store everything online or even wants to. I'd rather store my data on a hard drive and not the cloud. Saying why am I connecting my phone to my computer is absolutely stupid. 
  • Rahber Ali Rahber Ali
    ✭✭  / 
    seanetta said:
    What kind of stupid question is that?? I use my computer for many things to store my music, images, browse Internet, listen to music, do alot of work and editing and viewing things on a larger screen. Not everyone has unlimited Internet and is able to store everything online or even wants to. I'd rather store my data on a hard drive and not the cloud. Saying why am I connecting my phone to my computer is absolutely stupid. 
    Read what I wrote again. No one questioned the importance/value of computers. I have two myself which stay switched on all day long. It's your interpretation which is stupid.
  • nitin kachare nitin kachare
    ✭✭✭✭✭  /  edited May 2
    seanetta said:
    After a month of using the Nokia 8.1,a phone I love so much, I've now started to have a problem. When plugged into my PC it often disconnects itself and then reconnects. The charging port does have some wiggle, just like all other Nokia phones out there. This problem doesn't happen when plugged into mains with standard Nokia charger. I've tried 3 cables into my PC but issue still occurs and is totally random. I wiggle the cable about and nothing happens, then an hour later it randomly disconnects by itself. Sometimes it disconnects when I pick it up or move it, other times when it is just sitting there. Charging port and USB ports all clean and tried 3 cables. Thankfully it doesn't happen with mains charger but am worried in time in may do. Am starting to become not very confident in Nokia lately under HMD, they seem to have the same problems in all their handsets. Just when I think things are going swimmingly well then something happens. Not happy 
    Did you set set adaptive battery off and set it screen lock time 30 Minutes.I am connecting my device to my pc but didn't have such issue when screen is on but if we copy/paste something to phone too long period then it gets disconnected.so i went for wifi adapter and used shareit to transfer my all data to my pc.
  • just check the response from nokia executive as they even dont have courtesy to use correct name, how can they provide service ?

---------- Forwarded message ---------
    Date: Thu, May 2, 2019 at 10:46 PM
    Subject: Fwd: Job sheet no. :- 527504867/190422/002
    To: ,

Edited reference link...for your well known issue so that your higher department can take decision very fast..if it will not done will definitely go to consumer complaint.

https://community.phones.nokia.com/discussion/38827/nokia-6-1-plus-charging-issues

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/gadgets-news/nokia-6-1-plus-and-nokia-5-1-plus-users-are-you-too-facing-this-charging-issue-heres-what-you-can-do/articleshow/67852773.cms

https://www.google.com/search?q=nokia+6.1+plus+charging+issue&oq=nokia+6.1+&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j0j69i59j0.3687j1j9&client=ms-android-xiaomi-rev2&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

Do you really need any other information?

Regards
    Hardik

--------- Forwarded message ---------
    Date: Thu, May 2, 2019, 10:20 PM
    Subject: Re: Job sheet no. :- 527504867/190422/002
    To: ,
    Cc: ,

Dear Mr.Rishiraj Singh shekhavat

You don't have courtesy to use correct name?

We thought Nokia is good service provider company but face very bad, and I strongly denied to use Nokia mobile after this kind of service and professionalization.

And what is escalated? To whom? Nokia director? Why this much time take?

Charging issue is very well known and already been discuss on internet? Why company don't have taken any action yet, I personally and firmly mention this type of service problem on Flip kart as well as Amazon so at least other people will not suffer.

Very pathetic.

Regards

Let me know the exact date. When shall I get my mobile?

Regards,
    Kavita

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

-------- Original message --------
    Date: 5/2/19 4:13 PM (GMT+05:30)
    Subject: Re: Job sheet no. :- 527504867/190422/002

Dear Savita,

Greetings from Nokia Mobile Care.

We value the importance of your concern and regret the inconvenience caused to you.

In response to your concern regarding Nokia 6.1 Plus, we would like to inform you that your concern is already forwarded to our relevant department, so we would request you to wait for sometime they shall get back to you soon.

Thank you for contacting Nokia Mobile Care.
    Always looking to serve you better.

Kind Regards,
    Rishiraj Singh Shekhawat

Nokia Mobile Customer Services.
    997517:610407
  • jovin deglus jovin deglus
    ✭✭  /  edited May 2
    I am also facing the same issue with my Nokia 6.1 plus
  • seanetta seanetta
    ✭✭✭  / 
    seanetta said:
    Read what I wrote again. No one questioned the importance/value of computers. I have two myself which stay switched on all day long. It's your interpretation which is stupid.
    No, you said why are people connecting their phones to computers. That's stupid 
  • San.Phu San.Phu
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Connected pc with the help of USB is very easy and convenient.
  • NIMISHA NIMISHA
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    @seanetta @Sandeep Phulia can't agree more. It's convenient and less time consuming. We can easily search and transfer file whichever we want. Not everytime online is easy. 

@sayyed vihan @nitin kachare @seanetta @Sandeep Phulia or anyone faced charging issue, my phone stops charging and I'm not getting it's charging port or usb cable, when I give pressure to usb cable after attaching to charging port of 8.1 then only it shows charging. Though I've 2 months left for warranty. 
  • nitin kachare nitin kachare
    ✭✭✭✭✭  /  edited May 3
    @seanetta @Sandeep Phulia can't agree more. It's convenient and less time consuming. We can easily search and transfer file whichever we want. Not everytime online is easy. 

@sayyed vihan @nitin kachare @seanetta @Sandeep Phulia or anyone faced charging issue, my phone stops charging and I'm not getting it's charging port or usb cable, when I give pressure to usb cable after attaching to charging port of 8.1 then only it shows charging. Though I've 2 months left for warranty. 
    No I don't have charging connectivity issue. might it's cable issue then replace it at service center if you feel it's faulty.But Type C Cable isn't fully fit to charging port as far i seen all type c cables from different brands.
  • NIMISHA NIMISHA
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    @nitin kachare mine full inside. 
    ✭✭  / 

I did not have any issues... regarding cable or any other issue...for me my phone working fine .. without any physical problems....pr change ur cable or visit near by service centre they ll help u @[email protected]"NIMISHA "
  • seanetta seanetta
    ✭✭✭  / 
    I have just now worked out it's my multi USB hub that keeps disconnecting itself. Phew, now issue with the phone which I guessed anyway as it doesn't happen when plugged into mains charger anyway
  • chrisi chrisi
    ✭✭  /  edited May 15
    I have the same issue. It got worse over time and eventually it stopped charging.
    I just got it back from repair. It charges again, but it won't connect to the PC. It shows the popup message that ask you to confirm you want to transfer files every second. I see it for a fraction of a second in windows explorer only to disappear shortly after.
    It does charge with the mains charger, but I haven't seen the message that it is fast charging...
    It is definitely a problem with the phone port. I was able to get a stable connection at a very specific position of the usb cable. This only happened once and I was unable to reproduce it. I tried different usb ports and even bought a new fast charging usb c cable.

I bought the phone in February and from the beginning it had issues connecting with the PC. The irony is I specifically chose a phone with usb c because my previous phone broke because of the stupid micro usb port.
  • chrisi chrisi
    ✭✭  / 
    > @Rahber Ali said:
    > Why are people connecting their phones to PCs anyway? In an age where streaming, cloud data storage and WiFi based file transfer is so widely available. Even Torrents get downloaded better on the phone these days. Or am I missing something?

Uploading many gigabytes of images and videos to the cloud can take a long time. Sometimes you just want to transfer a few images to your PC or upload a new background to your phone.
  • NIMISHA NIMISHA
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    @chrisi I completely agree. We don't always have this much time to transfer file from online application rather than I feel easiest way from usb cable always. 
  • Argho Sarkar Argho Sarkar
    ✭✭✭  / 
    No Connectivity issue for me with my 8.1 to any pc or laptop. It stays connected as long as I want to. Also the charging port is fine for me 
  • chrisi chrisi
    ✭✭  / 
    > @Argho Sarkar said:
    > No Connectivity issue for me with my 8.1 to any pc or laptop. It stays connected as long as I want to. Also the charging port is fine for me 

Good for you. I'm sure the majority of the phones don't have this problem. But many do. Enjoy it while it lasts!
  • seanetta seanetta
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Mine seems fine now and never has an issue with the mains charger plugged into the wall. Just occasionally it disconnected itself from computer but I found out it was doing it even when not moved. I took the cable out of PC end and back in and all seemed fine. Odd
  • seanetta seanetta
    ✭✭✭  /  edited May 16
    I messaged the boss of HMD on Instagram about this ongoing charging port wiggle. Hopefully he'll reply and sort it in future phones. If not reply at least he'll read it 
  • Amith M Amith M
    ✭✭  / 
    seanetta said:
    I messaged the boss of HMD on Instagram about this ongoing charging port wiggle. Hopefully he'll reply and sort it in future phones. If not reply at least he'll read it 
    🤣🤣🤣
    If you think he will read it, dream on. 
  • Argho Sarkar Argho Sarkar
    ✭✭✭  / 
    seanetta said:
    They will just do one thing and that's ignoring at best. They won't read it bro.