Please stop using Android One by Google on Nokia smartphones (Make Nokia Great Again)

Yes, I want HMD Global to stop using Stock Android on Nokia smartphones.

Please stop using Android One by Google on Nokia smartphones (Make Nokia Great Again)

Kartik Gada Kartik Gada
✭✭✭✭  /  edited April 30
Yes, I want HMD Global to stop using Stock Android on Nokia smartphones. Many won't agree with this idea but those who have used Stock Android for the first time on their Nokia smartphones or any other Android One/Go smartphone  (maybe due to the positive reviews and marketing done by youtubers) very well know how much it lacks in terms of features and also feels restricted and limiting.

Most people don't even care about monthly security updates. And making this the main marketing motto is just useless IMO. You get nothing in return by shouting "Pure Secure and Up to Date Always with Nokia". These monthly security updates and maintenance releases do not bring anything new and they don't even fix the bugs present in "Google's half baked stock Android One OS". With every new major release come new bugs and users put the blame on Nokia and not Google. So, this just hurts our beloved Nokia and not Google. 

In 2017, I recommended Nokia smartphones to two people who I know and both switched to a different smartphone within the 1st year itself. This is how horrible Stock Android experience is. Now, I don't recommend Nokia smartphones to people I know due to the feeling that they too won't like the buggy stock android on Nokia smartphones and will never buy a Nokia smartphone again after that.  I don't want to make it their 1st and the last Nokia. Don't get me wrong. I am a huge Nokia Fan and I just want this brand to switch to the right tracks.

Can't HMD Global just use their Chinese ROM on globally available Nokia smartphones too? Just make some necessary changes and ship it on globally sold Nokia smartphones. It has so many extra features along with almost stock android experience. Just Do It Nokia. We are waiting. :)

Make Nokia Great Again and not a Slave.

Comments

• San.Phu San.Phu
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Yes, I want HMD Global to stop using Stock Android on Nokia smartphones. Many won't agree with this idea but those who have used Stock Android for the first time on their Nokia smartphones or any other Android One/Go smartphone  (maybe due to the positive reviews and marketing done by youtubers) very well know how much it lacks in terms of features and also feels restricted and limiting.

Most people don't even care about monthly security updates. And making this the main marketing motto is just useless IMO. You get nothing in return by shouting "Pure Secure and Up to Date Always with Nokia". These monthly security updates and maintenance releases do not bring anything new and they don't even fix the bugs present in "Google's half baked stock Android One OS". With every new major release come new bugs and users put the blame on Nokia and not Google. So, this just hurts our beloved Nokia and not Google. 

In 2017, I recommended Nokia smartphones to two people who I know and both switched to a different smartphone within the 1st year itself. This is how horrible Stock Android experience is. Now, I don't recommend Nokia smartphones to people I know due to the feeling that they too won't like the buggy stock android on Nokia smartphones and will never buy a Nokia smartphone again after that.  I don't want to make it their 1st and the last Nokia. Don't get me wrong. I am a huge Nokia Fan and I just want this brand to switch to the right tracks.

Can't HMD Global just use their Chinese ROM on globally available Nokia smartphones too? Just make some necessary changes and ship it on globally sold Nokia smartphones. It has so many extra features along with almost stock android experience. Just Do It Nokia. We are waiting. :)

Make Nokia Great Again and not a Slave.Because of google you are using Nokia again. Don't you think iike that.
  • Kartik Gada Kartik Gada
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Because of google you are using Nokia again. Don't you think iike that.
    Na. You are wrong. I never left Nokia so there's nothing about using it again or returning back to Nokia. Because of Nokia/HMD Global, I am using Google's Android is the correct statement here :) 
  • San.Phu San.Phu
    ✭✭✭  /  edited April 30
    singhnsk said:
    singhnsk said:
    Agreed. Being committed to Android One gives Nokia nothing back, other than a locked down OS which it cannot customize based on the requirements of the users. Android One is a cancer and as somebody rightly pointed, Google failed to sell stock Android multiple times. Firstly the Nexus, then the classic Android One which failed badly, then Google Play edition of popular Samsung and other phones, the Pixel which isn't selling "too well" and the Android One which nearly everybody hates to use.
    I don't get it. Why get locked to an inferior, buggy, locked down platform when Android is all open source and you can modify the OS keeping your users and their expectations in mind. An OS update on Android One or stock Android is more boring than using on a Nokia S40 device. There's absolutely nothing. Then what's the whole point of deploying resources and pushing a new build of the OS? Simply nothing. It remains the same. If Nokia customized ita Android today, it builds a long-term valuable product for the brand. Whereas not doing it wasting resources on software development while not building anything for yourself. There's absolutely 0 ROI on wasting time and effort to push a newer build of Android One. Because it is still the same 😂
    If Android One was a successful franchisee, then other OEMs would just be saving off their time and effort in developing all the software for their devices and just stick with Android One. The truth of the day is that other OEMs offer a superior experience to the users and Android One will NEVER keep HMD's Nokia competitive in the market, no matter how good of hardware they deloy in their devices.
    Use some Chinese OEM if you want fully customised phone. Some people likes what hmd is doing now. 
    That's a very poor argument. How about if I ask you to use a Pixel if you want the stock Android?
    Every other OEM has a customized Android? I'm sure you're intelligent enough to understand. It is not limited to Chinese OEMs alone. Even though Chinese have been entirely successful with what they have been doing and even the established players are having a tough time 😊
    And the reality shows up in your own comment. The fact is that only some people like what HMD is doing and most don't. Now if you're running a phone business based on an established brand which has always kept users in its mind while delivering its products, it's plain wrong. Nearly every Nokia user complains on the lack of choice in the software. It has very limited features, and relies entirely on Google apps which are not the right fit for the users but more for Google.
    HMD today is serving Google and its dream of selling stock Android in which it had always failed. HMD is not thinking of developing an ecosystem which will give it a long-term advantage.
    Don't you think pixel is good, apple is best and old time Microsoft and Nokia was superb because they have closed os  Which is excellent in user experience but not in customisation. And with the help of hmd google is trying to do the same here to provide you user experience not unwanted features which are used by a chunk of peoples like you.
  • San.Phu San.Phu
    ✭✭✭  / 
    You don't known anything because here hmd is also providing some customisation which your eye not able to see because of android one tag.
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited April 30
    You don't known anything because here hmd is also providing some customisation which your eye not able to see because of android one tag.
    Sure thing sir. You can start counting them because your eyes can see a lot, right? Can you enlist some of them? Well, surely except for the evenwell app killing background apps :) Tell me ways or areas in which HMD has made its Android One better than somebody else's stock Android or Android One.
    Being a blind fan helps nobody. You have your eyes, but you'll still ignore everything and churn out praises for Google's implemenation which is one of the worst.
  • San.Phu San.Phu
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Gestures, app icon modification, bezel hide, camera app etc which is only required to enhance the smooth experience not adding bloatware which according to you are the features.
  • San.Phu San.Phu
    ✭✭✭  / 
    I don't get you,I am using phone because it is fulfilling my needs and it working smooth. I think you are not a simple user that is not digesting you. Please go for custom ROM. There are so many ROM which give you the taste which you like and please don't hope hmd will give you the same flavour. 
  • San.Phu San.Phu
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Than throw your Nokia phone in dustbin. It is useless to you not me. I am loving it. 
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    And what are those customisation? 
  • San.Phu San.Phu
    ✭✭✭  / 
    And you job is to find out only negative point in startup which is steadily growing up.
  • San.Phu San.Phu
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Every os takes time and same android one is also taking time. But now it is more smooth, fast and user friendly before 3-4 months. 

✭✭✭✭  /  edited April 30
    Every os takes time and same android one is also taking time. But now it is more smooth, fast and user friendly before 3-4 months. 

This thread would have been much better if you would have kept your negative thoughts to yourself. You aren't trying to understand anything. That's fine. It's your choice but please post some sensible comments. You just ruined the entire thread. 😕
  • AniketThakur AniketThakur
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Android one was launched backed in 2012. Nokia 7 Plus was great on Oreo but pie has ruined that experience.
    Atleast have the guts to accept the reality.
    Nokia's customisation :
    1. Pixel like blue theme for navigation.
    2. Miracast.
    3. Camera which is usefully on in pro mode & video recording.

So these aren't called customisation , still have a doubt then do a Google search.

Now, Nokia has started delaying in update i.e. updates are given on month ends (basically we are one month behind) and this is not android one.

After pie update has Radom UI bugs , there is no lockscreen animation, many of the developer options are working, and screen flickering is still there. Nokia support app is useless.

So either Nokia fixes these things or simply stop using android one name.

I still love my 7+ alot but atleast I have the guts to accept that my device is not perfect as it was on Oreo. It's very hard to accept something bad which is related to you. It's not ur fault, it's human nature.
  • Himanshu Vatsal Himanshu Vatsal
     /  edited April 30
    I am in complete agreement with you brother. Nokia should stop using stock android and drop itself from Android One program. Continued partnership with Google in this respect will ultimately result in doom of HMD just like in the past, depending on Windows OS and not diversifying resulted in annihilation of previous Nokia mobile company. Instead HMD should focus on building new Android UI like successful companies Huawei and OnePlus are doing. This will not only provide it with the space to breathe but also HMD can add consumer demanded features to it in the future updates. Such step would help HMD grow their consumer base and its loyal fans would stick to it. I bought new Nokia phone because of its durable hardware as I was never a fan of cheap quality Chinese branded phones but better hardware and new UI features offered in the phones of companies like OnePlus and Huawei, and HMD's lack of innovation in the smartphone industry and buggy Android One stock UI is pushing me towards other brands. I hope neo Nokia listens else this is my last HMD phone.
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

This thread would have been much better if you would have kept your negative thoughts to yourself. You aren't trying to understand anything. That's fine. It's your choice but please post some sensible comments. You just ruined the entire thread. 😕
    Who suggested you to make this baseless thread.. you already known NOKIA can't be great again. They don't have there hardware resources  like before. An you are throwing arrow in the air and don't know where it will fall.
    Go out and check how small small companies from China are able to do better. Do you think Nokia saves money by going Android One? Nope! It still deploys resources in building the required vendor and HALs, only the forced Android system comes from Google. And then it spends cash every month on developers to push ssecuritypatches and MRs.
    HMD can instead use normal stock Android (the true Pure Android i.e. AOSP) and start customizing it slowly. But they went with Android One which absolutely restricts any kind of UI modifications even if the OEM wants to do it for the best of their customers. Rome wasn't built in a day, but you need to at least take a start.
  • San.Phu San.Phu
    ✭✭✭  / 

Android one was launched backed in 2012. Nokia 7 Plus was great on Oreo but pie has ruined that experience.
    Nokia's customisation :
    2. Miracast.

So these aren't called customisation , still have a doubt then do a Google search.

Now, Nokia has started delaying in update i.e. updates are given on month ends (basically we are one month behind) and this is not android one.

After pie update has Radom UI bugs , there is no lockscreen animation, many of the developer options are working, and screen flickering is still there. Nokia support app is useless.

I still love my 7+ alot but atleast I have the guts to accept that my device is not perfect as it was on Oreo. It's very hard to accept something bad which is related to you. It's not ur fault, it's human nature.
    Buying a budget phone and accepting updates are not good thing. Paying for Maruti 800, and accepting I am sitting in Ferrari don't not give you the taste of Ferrari. Please update you phone above 35K segment than you will say omg my phone is fast and great. 
    That the mentally of peoples like you.
    It's not you find and I known it.
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited April 30

Nokia's customisation :
    2. Miracast.

Buying a budget phone and accepting updates are not good thing. Paying for Maruti 800, and accepting I am sitting in Ferrari don't not give you the taste of Ferrari. Please update you phone above 35K segment than you will say omg my phone is fast and great. 
    This is what I talking about. You don't have the guts to except the faults. This shows that u don't even understand what I was trying to say, my device was awesome on Oreo without bugs, I never said that my phone lagged. Android one means regular updates. Even their previous flagship 8 sirocco is not getting timely updates. Even poco is releasing update faster than 7+ and poco costs less. Now don't give that lame concept of Ferrari & 800. There are other android one smart phones out which are giving updates in time. By the way 26k isn't budget category rather mid range. Plz make some valid arguments. 
  • San.Phu San.Phu
    ✭✭✭  / 
    singhnsk said:

Who suggested you to make this baseless thread.. you already known NOKIA can't be great again. They don't have there hardware resources  like before. An you are throwing arrow in the air and don't know where it will fall.
    Go out and check how small small companies from China are able to do better. Do you think Nokia saves money by going Android One? Nope! It still deploys resources in building the required vendor and HALs, only the forced Android system comes from Google. And then it spends cash every month on developers to push ssecuritypatches and MRs.
    HMD can instead use normal stock Android (the true Pure Android i.e. AOSP) and start customizing it slowly. But they went with Android One which absolutely restricts any kind of UI modifications even if the OEM wants to do it for the best of their customers. Rome wasn't built in a day, but you need to at least take a start.
    Do you known the difference between hmd and nokia?
  • San.Phu San.Phu
    ✭✭✭  / 

Nokia's customisation :
    2. Miracast.

This is what I talking about. You don't have the guts to except the faults. Android one means regular updates. Even their previous flagship 8 sirocco is not getting timely updates. Even poco is releasing update faster than 7+ and poco costs less. Now don't give that lame concept of Ferrari & 800. There are other android one smart phones out which are giving updates in time. By the way 26k isn't budget category rather mid range. Plz make some valid arguments.
    Some people thinks 26 K segment is premium phone segments and problem starts from here.
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    singhnsk said:

He even knows how to unlock bootloader. 🤣🤣🤣 Don't challenge him. U don't know him
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Nokia's customisation :
    2. Miracast.

This is what I talking about. You don't have the guts to except the faults. Android one means regular updates. Even their previous flagship 8 sirocco is not getting timely updates. Even poco is releasing update faster than 7+ and poco costs less. Now don't give that lame concept of Ferrari & 800. There are other android one smart phones out which are giving updates in time. By the way 26k isn't budget category rather mid range. Plz make some valid arguments.
    Some people thinks 26 K segment is premium phone segments and problem starts from here.
    I don't think so but why my device is suffering now. It's not even a year. U need to accept that Nokia need to fix these little things. Everything else is good.
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    singhnsk said:

He even knows how to unlock bootloader. 🤣🤣🤣 Don't challenge him. U don't know him
    And you known how to flush your mind also.
    I know him & I had unlocked bootloader from him. This shows that when u are loosing an argument, u try to make other people say bad words so that u can flag them 🤣
This discussion has been closed.