Please stop using Android One by Google on Nokia smartphones (Make Nokia Great Again)

Yes, I want HMD Global to stop using Stock Android on Nokia smartphones.

Please stop using Android One by Google on Nokia smartphones (Make Nokia Great Again)

Kartik Gada Kartik Gada
✭✭✭✭  / 
Yes, I want HMD Global to stop using Stock Android on Nokia smartphones. Many won't agree with this idea but those who have used Stock Android for the first time on their Nokia smartphones or any other Android One/Go smartphone  (maybe due to the positive reviews and marketing done by youtubers) very well know how much it lacks in terms of features and also feels restricted and limiting.

Most people don't even care about monthly security updates. And making this the main marketing motto is just useless IMO. You get nothing in return by shouting "Pure Secure and Up to Date Always with Nokia". These monthly security updates and maintenance releases do not bring anything new and they don't even fix the bugs present in "Google's half baked stock Android One OS". With every new major release come new bugs and users put the blame on Nokia and not Google. So, this just hurts our beloved Nokia and not Google. 

In 2017, I recommended Nokia smartphones to two people who I know and both switched to a different smartphone within the 1st year itself. This is how horrible Stock Android experience is. Now, I don't recommend Nokia smartphones to people I know due to the feeling that they too won't like the buggy stock android on Nokia smartphones and will never buy a Nokia smartphone again after that.  I don't want to make it their 1st and the last Nokia. Don't get me wrong. I am a huge Nokia Fan and I just want this brand to switch to the right tracks.

Can't HMD Global just use their Chinese ROM on globally available Nokia smartphones too? Just make some necessary changes and ship it on globally sold Nokia smartphones. It has so many extra features along with almost stock android experience. Just Do It Nokia. We are waiting. 

Make Nokia Great Again and not a Slave.

Comments

• Dog007 Dog007
    ✭✭  / 
    We all live under the same sky, but we do not all have the same horizon. B)

• Manus Manus
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Well I'm using a Nokia 6 but I had enough.
    I'm gonna buy a Galaxy note 9 and an old lumia 925, for the sake of memories.

• Kartik Gada Kartik Gada
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited May 2019
    Manus said:

Any reasons why you are switching? 
  • i have also very bad experience with nokia 6..i think after iphone the quality phone is samsung other all brands are just for waste bin... i dis heart with nokia. after pie update mobile look like drunk ...lol 
  • Manus Manus
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Manus said:

Any reasons why you are switching? 
    isnt it obvious? theres no costumisation option in pure android.
    the design of the phone is a little bit uncomfortable but tht cant even compared with the bad android experience that i had with google's android version. 
    i realized that I'm happier when im not using my phone but this wasnt the case with my old lumia, i was happy despite crappy speaker quality, i was happy despite the bad app options, bad browser experience. that thing had at least a good user experience; the transitions, fonts, colours everything was great. and that keyboard. 
    the outer design was perfect too. 
    i wold love to keep using nokia phones; but if even the company doesnt knows how to make a worthy nokia phone i cant help.
    im not saying that they should abandon the trendy models like notch and hole puch öodels alltogather, on the contrary those type of models are easy money source which is essential to keep the business, but they should have a special portfolio for old nokia users, with nokia style designs and solid features. the updates are not necessary for me. 
  • Support the idea with my whole heart. 
    I like my new Nokia 6.1, but that's Android One which makes it not functioning to full extent. 

For almost a month it' been failing to setup the phone. (which means, for example, my contact list is not yet synchronized). I don't receive notifications in time - and so on.

I hate that Android does not let to downgrade to the previous versions or unwind the updates. If it would be allowed, the issues might have been solved just by reinstallation of the system
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Manus said:
    isnt it obvious? theres no costumisation option in pure android.
    the design of the phone is a little bit uncomfortable but tht cant even compared with the bad android experience that i had with google's android version. 
    i realized that I'm happier when im not using my phone but this wasnt the case with my old lumia, i was happy despite crappy speaker quality, i was happy despite the bad app options, bad browser experience. that thing had at least a good user experience; the transitions, fonts, colours everything was great. and that keyboard. 
    the outer design was perfect too. 
    i wold love to keep using nokia phones; but if even the company doesnt knows how to make a worthy nokia phone i cant help.
    im not saying that they should abandon the trendy models like notch and hole puch öodels alltogather, on the contrary those type of models are easy money source which is essential to keep the business, but they should have a special portfolio for old nokia users, with nokia style designs and solid features. the updates are not necessary for me. 
    In short, our phones have the hardware but are seriously missing out on the Soul (a good software experience). I totally agree with what you said. :) 
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited May 2019
    Krairy said:
    Support the idea with my whole heart. 
    I like my new Nokia 6.1, but that's Android One which makes it not functioning to full extent. 

For almost a month it' been failing to setup the phone. (which means, for example, my contact list is not yet synchronized). I don't receive notifications in time - and so on.

I hate that Android does not let to downgrade to the previous versions or unwind the updates. If it would be allowed, the issues might have been solved just by reinstallation of the system
    Thanks for the support. :)  I understand the limitations of Android One and how the OS feels closed. Google wants everyone to use what they offer and that too forcefully. I don't like that forced google search bar in Android Pie at the bottom of the home screen which Google forces upon us. I thought the Google app would remove that search bar but that leads to a blacked out ugly looking dead search bar lol. I just want Nokia to use stock like android with more customisation options like a system-wide Black theme, more features like long screenshots, gaming mode, etc like in their Chinese ROM. They can also build some Nokia exclusive apps like a Music Player, Voice Recorder, File Manager, etc and bundle it with their smartphones. This will help in creating a good user experience and will also attract more buyers and the current user might also not switch to some other brand as he/she won't find the Nokia exclusive apps they are familiar with on devices from other brands,

If you want to roll back you can get help from @singhnsk. He knows how to rollback to previous software versions. :)
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Hi everyone,
    Personally, I have no love for stock Android or Android One for the basic reason that it doesn't feel in any way whatsoever like a Nokia. As Kartik has said: it has no soul.
    @singhnsk advocates for. This would be an improvement on Android One, but I believe it would still not be enough for a Nokia, which must always feel like a Nokia. I would like HMD to bring their own launcher which builds on the legacy of Symbian, Meego Harmattan, Fastlane and Z-launcher, as I and @Manus have discussed here: https://community.phones.nokia.com/discussion/44762/how-to-get-that-nokia-feeling-design-and-ux. For me this would be the most useful Nokia-specific app that HMD could work on, after the camera.
    However, I am realistic. I think that HMD are only using Android One at present as a vehicle to sell phones. Why do I think this? Because Google copied HMD (spoiler! :P). HMD's approach of 2-3 years of guaranteed updates with "pure secure and up to date" was such a clean marketing message that Google got jealous and resurrected Android One as "pure" Android with the same updates promise that HMD made. Simple as that.
    So, HMD will stop using Android One when the time is right. We're starting to see that a little bit as the new X71 is not Android One, presumably because HMD didn't want the constraints on that phone.(although it may also be because there's a limit on the number of Android One phones sold in Taiwan, like there is in Russia)
    I note though that HMD are obviously managing to convince Google to loosen the restrictions somewhat, since the new 3.2, 4.2 and 9PV do have face unlock which is not part of stock Android.
    Cheers :)
    PS - wild speculation, hence why hidden by spoiler. It's plausible that the relationship of HMD and Google is closer than we realise. I remember that support told me that HMD made the camera app with Google involvement, and this is partially reinforced by things which Juho and Pekka said in Barcelona about the 9PV. Google are present at HMD launch events and the assistant button seems to be getting pushed on HMD's phones. Google are always looking for tame manufacturers to push Android in the form that Google wants HMD seem to be the latest and keenest to do so. Remember that old Nokia got "platform support payments" from Microsoft? Maybe Google and HMD have a similar arrangement because HMD use pure Android in various forms (One, Go and otherwise stock) across the whole range, which would be another reason that it makes good business sense for HMD to stick with Android One... like I said, just wild speculation ;)

• user1555233132921 user1555233132921
    ✭✭  /  edited May 2019
    This is a ridiculous idea. There are innumerable options available for those who don't love stock Android. Those who don't like colour os, miui, etc have just few options, like Moto and Nokia.
  • Manus Manus
    ✭✭✭  / 
    This is a ridiculous idea. There are innumerable options available for those who don't love stock Android. Those who don't like colour os, miui, etc have just few options, like Moto and Nokia.
    Well son there's only one Nokia product line Android one line and guess what? I don't like stock Android, I don't even like the Android but it's all I have and it can be more tolerable if there's a Nokia-ish ui.
    You can use the other local brands if you want more Google stuff, in Turkey we have couple of brands that using Android one and I'm sure there are probably more of these local brands or there. 
    But we have only one Nokia brand, only one Nokia that we preferred for its useful ui options, innovations and user experience. 
    Based on your complain I think you want to use stock Android, not Nokia brand, you can use the alternative options but we can't. 
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Hi @user1555233132921, I completely agree that if we only want non-stock/pure Android, customised in some way, then there are many other brands which we can choose from, based on what features we want and like. However, @Manus is right and shares the point of view of most of the people who would prefer that HMD diversify from the Android One line - we are more interested in Nokia than in a customised flavour of Android ;)
    So, it doesn't matter what the customisation is, what the features are, etc, if it doesn't say Nokia on the front of our phone we won't be happy. So instead of trying to learn to love another, we are trying to change the one we love. Maybe this is a waste of time and in the end we will learn and leave, but for now we all share hope that we can convince HMD to change direction!
    At least, that's they way I see it.
    Cheers :smiley:
  • Đỗ Quang Vinh Đỗ Quang Vinh
    ✭✭  / 
    Yes, I want HMD Global to stop using Stock Android on Nokia smartphones. Many won't agree with this idea but those who have used Stock Android for the first time on their Nokia smartphones or any other Android One/Go smartphone  (maybe due to the positive reviews and marketing done by youtubers) very well know how much it lacks in terms of features and also feels restricted and limiting.

Most people don't even care about monthly security updates. And making this the main marketing motto is just useless IMO. You get nothing in return by shouting "Pure Secure and Up to Date Always with Nokia". These monthly security updates and maintenance releases do not bring anything new and they don't even fix the bugs present in "Google's half baked stock Android One OS". With every new major release come new bugs and users put the blame on Nokia and not Google. So, this just hurts our beloved Nokia and not Google. 

In 2017, I recommended Nokia smartphones to two people who I know and both switched to a different smartphone within the 1st year itself. This is how horrible Stock Android experience is. Now, I don't recommend Nokia smartphones to people I know due to the feeling that they too won't like the buggy stock android on Nokia smartphones and will never buy a Nokia smartphone again after that.  I don't want to make it their 1st and the last Nokia. Don't get me wrong. I am a huge Nokia Fan and I just want this brand to switch to the right tracks.

Can't HMD Global just use their Chinese ROM on globally available Nokia smartphones too? Just make some necessary changes and ship it on globally sold Nokia smartphones. It has so many extra features along with almost stock android experience. Just Do It Nokia. We are waiting. 

Make Nokia Great Again and not a Slave.
    People are criticising hmd for being putting off security patch in the forum for nokia 8 users so it's pointless to say that hmd should give up on android one
  • San.Phu San.Phu
    ✭✭✭  /  edited May 2019
    madbilly said:
    Hi @user1555233132921, I completely agree that if we only want non-stock/pure Android, customised in some way, then there are many other brands which we can choose from, based on what features we want and like. However, @Manus is right and shares the point of view of most of the people who would prefer that HMD diversify from the Android One line - we are more interested in Nokia than in a customised flavour of Android ;)
    So, it doesn't matter what the customisation is, what the features are, etc, if it doesn't say Nokia on the front of our phone we won't be happy. So instead of trying to learn to love another, we are trying to change the one we love. Maybe this is a waste of time and in the end we will learn and leave, but for now we all share hope that we can convince HMD to change direction!
     hmd should focus on more on hardware, most of the user complaining about hardware.
    After providing right hardware, they can optimised the software. But if software is good and hardware not than hmd can't survive. Nokia go for the best hardware . We can wait for software for some time.
  • AMANDEEP1888 AMANDEEP1888
    ✭✭  / 
    Very bad experience this time with nokia. :/
  • AMANDEEP1888 AMANDEEP1888
    ✭✭  / 
    San.Phu said:
    madbilly said:
     hmd should focus on more on hardware, most of the user complaining about hardware.
    After providing right hardware, they can optimised the software. But if software is good and hardware not than hmd can't survive. Nokia go for the best hardware . We can wait for software for some time.
    I am agree with you dear they have changed my phone motherboard even after change of motherboard within 5 hours problem come again . Problem is touch freeze