V16

Well, I got V 16.00.17.00 this morning in the UK.

V16

Well, I got V 16.00.17.00 this morning in the UK.

Whatsapp is there, but unusable until the predictive text is improved to at least the way the old Nokias worked,like the 6310, but it is there.

I do wish I could edit the shortcuts page, it would be great to have the internet sharing option in there for quicker access, one of the main reasons I bought this was the 4G hotspot option for when I am working/playing while travelling on trains.

Tagged:

Comments

• guinnsquirrel guinnsquirrel
    ✭✭  / 
    ooooooh. Will search for it tonight :)
  • Keith Keith
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Still not available on my UK model.
    Try again tomorrow i suppose :-)
    ✭✭  / 
    Does one need to have a SIM card in the device when checking for suitable updates? 
  • Islate Islate
     / 
    V16.00.17.00  is out for the Netherlands, downloading en installing now as we speak.
  • Islate Islate
     / 
    Whatsapp is availabel in the app store, and usable. Took a long time but its finally there :) thank you KAIOS and NOKIA o:)
  • eskerahn eskerahn
     /  edited May 3
    Available in Denmark too today, 30.74MB (was never offered v14.* or v15.* BTW)
  • Keith Keith
    ✭✭✭  / 
    @peter bowater What network are you on. Still not on mine in UK. I'm on O2/Giffgaff
  • Super Fulcrum Super Fulcrum
     /  edited May 3
    Just got the V16 Firmware. Don't care about whatsapp as I am not using that CRAP made by evil mark to spy on people. Whatsapp and facebook are stupid. (WOULD APPRECIATE TELEGRAM ON KaiOS!!! :P )
    What I wanted was IMPROVED PERFORMANCE for the many BUGS the 8110 had.
    V16 solves many issues but brings NEW BUGS!
    - The OS MUCH FASTER. The typing is better with less lag when you type. In V13 I had many double number input when I was pressing they key ONCE. VERY difficult to type PIN or phone number. Now in V16 it's much better! Not perfect but improved!
    - The imported VCF file from Android imported via BT used to work fine before in V13. Now it will not see contacts in the CALL LIST if you import phone numbers with spaces in it (It comes like that from Android like 987 987 987). You have to edit the contact and remove spaces.
    - STILL NO CALL RECORDING like the 3310 3G HAD. BAD! WHY???
    - V16 remembers the last position in the settings when you exit a main Menu Icon. In SETTINGS it's OK. But in the PHONE BOOK IT's ANNOYING AF! If you select a Contact at position 200 in the Phone Book and then press EXIT, when you return to Phonebook it's still at position 200. NO SEARCH OPTION UNLESS YOU SCROLL BACK UP 200 POSITIONS! WTF? You can restart the phone and it will go back to position 1 with the SEARCH OPTION on top.
    - STILL NOT ABLE TO SELECT GOOGLE MAPS LANGUAGE! There was a trick to do it but I can't remember how and it's stupid to have to remember tricks to chamge a setting.
    - DEAR HMD! WHERE IS THE FILE EXPLORER? Come on dude! The 3310 3G HAS IT!
    - V13 would NOT connect to any Bluetooth PAIRED device if 8110 BT was set to hidden. (Again, I am talking about already paired devices!) Must always be set on Visible to All to use Handsfree. HUGE SECURITY ISSUE! Will test this tomorrow with V16.

The phone is great because of it's history from 1996 and I like it. But SO FAR AWAY FROM BEING A FINISHED PRODUCT!
  • abbas abbas
    ✭✭✭  / 
    "(WOULD APPRECIATE TELEGRAM ON KaiOS!!! :P )"

~ In order to create HTML/JS/CSS based client for KaiOS the Telegram needs to finish their unfinished tool that lets developers implement.
    ref: https://www.reddit.com/r/KaiOS/comments/9z8pfh/any_hope_for_getting_telegram_on_kaios/

• user1519490261557 user1519490261557
    ✭✭  / 
    Why no V 16 update for India ? Mine is still on 10.05 . So annoying. HMD, please update to V16 in India too .
  • Islate Islate
     / 
    Do you all guys have this problem, when is search contact person i see line (like loading) middle in my screen.

Also whatsapp when i press back button from a chat it automaticly exit the whatsapp app. pls let me know if you guys have this problem too so i can see that is not only me.
  • @keith, orange.

Irritating things:

When writing a text, the text wraps in the middle of the word, makes it very difficult to read!

With WiFi hot-spot enabled, you can turn off the 4G data and the hot-spot icon remains in the top bar. In last version (13) this had been fixed - turning off the data turned off the hot-spot.

• Islate Islate
     / 
    @Super Fulcrum predictive text has improve alot in v16 atleast for Dutch

• ituk ituk
     / 
    > @Islate said:
    > Do you all guys have this problem, when is search contact person i see line (like loading) middle in my screen.
    I have it too.

> @peter bowater said:
    > @keith, orange.
    > When writing a text, the text wraps in the middle of the word, makes it very difficult to read!
    you mean that words are cut in the middle when at the end of a line? cause I have it as well.

In addition, few more issues:
    - on new text message screen, when typing a contact name or a number the autocomplete doesn't show up anymore. on v13 it was only for contact saved on SIM, now it's for all contacts. I have to write the contact name perfectly, or to search for it manually in the "add new contact" screen.
    - when opening a new email, if i scroll down while the email main content is still loading, when it finishes loading and shows up, the screen is scrolled down to its end, so i need to scroll up the whole email content in order to read it from the beginning.
    - on main text messages screen there's a weird gap on the top, under the messages count (which is new i think)
    - on the first time loading the contacts screen and typing a contact name to search for, at the beginning it take quite a lot of time to load, and usually it types in numbers instead of letters. if i wait enough it gets better.
    - still no "back to home" button. have to click a hundred times on the back button. so stupid.
    - still no option to control the shortcuts, or add shortcuts for the arrow keys.
    - on main messages screen, still not possible to call a sender of a message. not by clicking the "call" button, and not from the options menu. has to open message, then open options menu, go down 4 or 5 options in the list, and click. this is also true if i scroll up to see an old message on the thread, i have to scroll down untill the textarea is focused, then use the option menu. annoying.
    - generally, the phone is still pretty slow and laggy. why is it so difficult to get a good and simple featured phone?

I didn't check yet, but in v13 the alarm clock was not working when phone was off. did someone checked?

Ituk
  • Took this long, yet it feels so rushed:

- no way to kill the backbroung processes (whatsapp leaves no notifications, just beep and confirms messages as read. Very confusing chatting with kaios user. Its like we're always ignoring)

- fast dial number keypad broken, worked on previous firmwares

Come on, here's a community why are you ignoring still?
  • Here in Spain only V13 and no whatsapp o nothing. Do anybody why?
    Thanks
  • orips orips
     / 
    Here in Israel still v13.
  • I'm in the UK and I received the update to version 16 on Monday afternoon. All the issues mentioned in the posts above are also present on my phone.
  • Keith Keith
    ✭✭✭  / 
    @user1540914105479 I am in the UK and still no update. I'm on O2 and phone was bought from CPW. May I enquire about your network and is yours a UK bought phone. Thanks
  • Hi Keith. I bought the phone from a website called more computers back in October. It's the dual sim version I bought which I thought might be a foreign handset but it did come with a UK 3 pin charger and the website I bought it from is UK based. One of my sims is BT and the other is Asda mobile. Both piggyback the EE network.
  • Keith Keith
    ✭✭✭  / 
    @user1540914105479 thanks for the info. Somebody else mentioned using Orange which also runs on EE and got their update as well. 
    ✭✭  / 
    I am on EE. In the UK, with a single SIM version. I cant see this update, yet :/
  • FrankyKuo FrankyKuo
     / 
    I have some problem, after I upgrade V15.00.17.03 all my setting will gone if a reboot my 8110 4G.
    Just like I that I share my WIFI as hotspot, or I mute my 8110 4G,
    after I reboot it all setting will gone, so I have to reset again.

And I upgraded V16.00.17.00 the problem still did not solve.
  • Keith Keith
    ✭✭✭  / 
    O2 via Twitter have stated that no updates are coming to the UK market. I presume the other UK phones that say they have the update infact have imported devices. If Dual SIM this is probably the case. ☹️
  • Islate Islate
     / 
    @keith even with a dutch simcard inside ?
  • Keith Keith
    ✭✭✭  / 
    @Islate I suspect it is to do of where the phone is released and not the SIM card. I'll be investigating the MobWire Oneida from EE in the UK. This is a candy bar T9 phone with Whatsapp and FB and runs a forked version of Android. 
  • Hi Keith. I am amazed that you have had that response from O2. It makes no sense to me that it wouldn't be released in the U.K. I haven't heard of that EE phone but would be interested to hear more about it as I don't have much faith in the8110 
  • Nokuiera Nokuiera
     / 
    Is it just me or did v16 fix the broken keypad? Getting no random numbers or symbols inserted anymore.

That's amazing. Now if only i could teach it new words i woulcd have perfectly functional text input.
  • Keith Keith
    ✭✭✭  /