Official OTA files page

@HMD_Laura, @juho, @"matteo.m"  Since the recovery of the various Nokia phones allows the installation of the updates via ADB or from SD card, without the need to unlock the bootloader, like Nexus and Pixel phones, why don't you provide an official page with all the OTA files and the instructions to install updates manually?

Official OTA files page

cri347 cri347
✭✭✭  /  edited May 2019
@HMD_Laura@juho@matteo.m 
Since the recovery of the various Nokia phones allows the installation of the updates via ADB or from SD card, without the need to unlock the bootloader, like Nexus and Pixel phones, why don't you provide an official page with all the OTA files and the instructions to install updates manually?
It would be a very useful thing, similar to what Google already does for its Pixel and it would make possible for informed users to install updates, even when the automatic system doesn't work and leaves a lot of us with old firmwares.
It would also be safer than waiting for someone that grabs the OTA link and provides it to us, since we would have an official source.

Comments

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

This is a great suggestion! Thank you for writing it so clearly. It clearly has benefits for customers and HMD, since savvy-customers can bypass some of the very unreliable OTA update rollouts and HMD can save on support costs because less users will contact support saying "where's my xyz update".

I would add that for extra points HMD could also provide the full images so that that even more technically minded users could flash them. An even better solution would be a tool like Nokia Suite or Nokia Software Recovery Tool which could download the updates or full images and flash them so that even less technically minded customers could use them.

However, as a first step, HMD can give us the OTA update files, that will be a good start.

Cheers :smiley:
  • cri347 cri347
    ✭✭✭  / 
    @madbilly thanks a lot, I hope they will consider the idea. BTW, so, who is hasty could manually update rather than wait for the two weeks of the staged rollout.

Until they release a way to unlock the bootloader on all devices, regardless of build and without quota, I think the option of full images is impractical. It could be partially remedied by allowing the download of full OTAs rather than incremental ones (if I'm not mistaken Google does so, as well as providing full images, useful for a downgrade).
    A software like the old Nokia PC Suite for this type of management would be even better, after all it would be a mere graphic frontend of adb, but better to settle for little :D