Nokia 8 Android 9 geo-tagging

Hi all,My phone is still on Android 8.1, but I believe that on Android 9 geo-tagging (which is where the location is saved with a photo) is broken.

Nokia 8 Android 9 geo-tagging

madbilly madbilly
✭✭✭✭  / 
Hi all,
My phone is still on Android 8.1, but I believe that on Android 9 geo-tagging (which is where the location is saved with a photo) is broken. Does the latest update fix this?
Cheers :)

Comments

• user389 user389
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Geo-tagging in photos and videos is in my experience only broken because of the compass issue that can cause the location to be wrong, or in rare cases missing if Android's location stuff has to re-initialize itself when it gets confused.
    I temporarily switched off as much of Google's activity collection and timeline features as possible, which seems to have minimised the problem since February:
    https://myaccount.google.com/data-and-personalization

-- 
    Hans
  • Mick1965 Mick1965
    ✭✭✭  / 
    madbilly said:
    Hi all,
    My phone is still on Android 8.1, but I believe that on Android 9 geo-tagging (which is where the location is saved with a photo) is broken. Does the latest update fix this?

Took a picture In my back garden, then zoom in on the attached map in Google pictures and it seems pretty much bang on.

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Hi @Mick1965, thanks for that info. IIRC people previously had problems when they were away from their normal location, e.g. walk down the street. If you back garden is large enough for GPS to have to indicate a different location then that's great, otherwise I think it still needs testing some more.
  • Mick1965 Mick1965
    ✭✭✭  / 
    @madbilly

Oh I see.
    Back garden is not huge.  15m X 15m ish. 
    Just that on the map it shows it seemed exactly where I took the pic.
    Going out for a ride in a bit I'll take some pics on the way and see what happens.
  • Mick1965 Mick1965
    ✭✭✭  / 
    @madbilly
    Just done 5 mile round trip, around the local cycle paths and fields.
    Only took 4 pics on the route  and all of them seem pretty accurate to where they were taken. With in a few feet at a guess.
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Hi @Mick1965 then that sounds very promising! Thanks for the extra tests, I appreciate it. If I get chance tomorrow I think I'll do the dead SIM trick and see if I can get the update... After backing up of course!
    Cheers :smiley:
  • user1536323754226 user1536323754226
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Looks like Christmas may finally be nigh...