Hi! I'm Sanjoy, Director - Product & Strategy, India. Ask Me Anything!

Hello Nokia Fans,  I am Sanjoy Dass. I am HMD Global's Director for Product and Strategy (India).

Hi! I'm Sanjoy, Director - Product & Strategy, India. Ask Me Anything!

Sanjoy Sanjoy
Staff member  /  edited May 23
Hello Nokia Fans, 

I am Sanjoy Dass. I am HMD Global's Director for Product and Strategy (India). I have been part of the Nokia phones story for the past 14 years from Symbian to Windows to now Android, and it has been a thrilling, humbling, memorable journey! 

Enough about me! I am here to answer any questions you may have about our products, our updates, the Android One program, and the future of Nokia phones. I have been browsing this forum for the past few weeks and I must say I am impressed by your knowledge, passion, and love for Nokia phones.

That said, I have noticed a fair number of questions that you, Fans, have about our phones. Please feel free to ask your questions in the comment section below, and I promise to answer every one of them. 

I will be logging in on Thursday, May 16th, 3-5pm India time (9.30-11.30am GMT) to answer your questions. 

And going forward, I want to host more such sessions. 

Looking forward to your questions! Please ask away in the comments below...

Comments

• altmashk3 altmashk3
    ✭✭  / 
    One more question where is the winner of MATCHDAYS contest runs from 9th April 2019 to 28th April 2019 & 300 Lucky winners were to be given Nokia Active wireless Earphones
  • syeda eesha syeda eesha
     / 
    How can we change/ download the themes of the phone? I have nokia 6.1
  • cesar suarez cesar suarez
    ✭✭  / 
    Well first congratulations for the great work with Nokia, and my whole family has at least one model.

Android Go Pie for the Nokia 1 will be released soon?
  • Sandy C Sandy C
     / 
    Sanjay.your customer service is appalling.one thing you do NOT do is terminate a chat without cation ,no matter what the reason is.you are clearly not an expert on nokia.you obviously need more training on manners and skills.all chat conversations have being transferred to the legal representatives,
  • Akshay Manekari Akshay Manekari
    ✭✭  / 
    In India, Nokia 6.1 plus and 5.1 plus created a lot of buzz and were bestsellers on e-commerce sites.Can we expect their successors any time soon?
  • vikssharma vikssharma
    ✭✭  / 
    Hii, 
    You people promised about dedicated face unlock for Nokia 7 plus in last yr. But it didn't come till now. It is how u r keeping promise
  • shubham sharma shubham sharma
    ✭✭✭  /  edited May 13
    Why Does You Choose The Stock Android over custom skin. Custom skin usually has additional features too. 
    I was happy when I saw the agressive pricing of Nokia 6.1+ & 5.1+. Can we see a further Agressive HMD Global?
  • shubham sharma shubham sharma
    ✭✭✭  / 
    I have Nokia 5 & 6 (2017) they recently received software update and build Number on both devices are OOAO_6_17D. 
    While In Nokia 5 lift to check phone Gesture is There.
    But In case of Nokia 6 it's missing
  • Nice to digitally meet you...pls many of us want to know when the nokia 5.1plus will get the april update which is expected to fix many bugs if at all 5.1plus users will be given the update.
  • icio icio
     / 
    I'm on Nokia 8, so I'll ask for this phone
    Android Pie introduced multicamera and multi mic apis, why you didn't implement this for nokia 8?
    Nokia 8 is already an abandoned phone, why you didn't release the FULL pie source code?
    There really will be an update for camera?
  • Muser Muser
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Thanks for doing this Sanjoy!

Does HMD have plans to release exclusive apps or services for their devices (either preloaded or a part of Google Play)? I'm sure many will agree that Nokia excelled at this and it incentivized users to stay within their ecosystem when buying a new device. HMD so far hasn't done anything in this regard (although a OZO recording app was hinted at a few months ago).
  • user1535194172098 user1535194172098
    ✭✭  /  edited May 13
    Hey! Happy to have you here
    got three questions.
    1. Are you(HMD) really working on a dedicated Night Mode for Nokia Camera app? Rumours are all over the internet about this.
    2. Are you planning to release more devices with aggressive pricing as we saw on Nokia 5.1Plus and Nokia 6.1Plus.
    3. As we know Nokia devices in the starting have a lot of bugs and gets fixed with time, so can we expect in the near future to have perfect devices from the starting? 

About your strategy-
    Currently you guys have launched 17 devices (including Nokia 9 PureView,Nokia 3.2 and Nokia 1 Plus) and promises to keep them updated till 3 years, just wanna know won't it be hard to keep them updated too while updating your new devices. 
  • MatteBlacke MatteBlacke
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Hello Snajay! Glad to see people from Nokia directly in contact with the end users.

I have 1 question - 

1. When are you going to allow bootloader unlocks? People currently have to pay to unlock bootloaders and it is not very ideal. Also its been 2 years since Juho said that they'll unlock bootloaders for devices one by one.

• altmashk3 altmashk3
    ✭✭  / 
    I have some suggestions regarding Nokia 9 PureView,the device doesn't has notch which is quite good but the bezels in bottom are little bit more,I don't mind the bezels but if you use full screen & remove bezel from bottom side & use narrow bezel on top for camera &  "Nokia" Branding which will make device even more better lookwise,if it will pack with Snapdragon 855 & have a 5G Support along with IP68, Quick 4.0 Charging Support & as well as dedicated micro SD card slot or hybrid slot with 8GB of Ram & 256GB of ROM,I am damm sure the device will put the market on 🔥,I must suggest plz use bezel for Branding which makes Nokia different from others, Now I want to know what do you think about it???
  • bhagyesh2491 bhagyesh2491
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Could you please enable the Camera2api on the phones like Nokia 5.1 plus or else have a better camera app by having help from Google by using their algorithms.We need a better camera software to match the hardware capabilities !
  • user1516119250933 user1516119250933
    ✭✭  / 
    Request from a Nokia 2 user,

Please fix MR and SP update issues:-
     1. Who rollback from Oreo official to  Nougat 7.1.1
     2. Who are updated to Oreo official

Because still HMD release updates for Nougat  users who didn't join beta labs and revert to Nougat...
  • Asra shanzeh Asra shanzeh
    ✭✭  / 
    I bought nokia last year. Its under warranty. I got few spots on LCD. I sent it to center located in Lahore. They replaced the panel. Suddenly my phone started getting overheat and shows a square specifically on grey color. I took it back. They did something to phone. Now my lcd looks so cheap , it gives delay response. Brightness level doesn't reduce. And a rainbow spot appears in slight pressure which goes away when finger lifted. Phone screen shows delay response when unlocked with sensor. Gives grey blank screen first and then display is shown after few seconds delay. I am so much disappointed. I dont want to send them for more experiments. This is my third time. Please help. 
  • 1. Why don't have source code for Nokia 5 (2017)? Can you (HMD) release Android 9 source code for this device?
    2. Are you allowing to unlock its bootloader?
  • Hi, my question is related to Nokia corporation inside HMD..why does it seem Nokia corporation is not very much involved in the development and design of HMD phones? I mean...just look at HMD's portfolio..the phones just look as generic as Chinese clones...only the first generation of HMD phones back in 2017 had some kind of Nokia design (resembling Lumia phones) but now all that is gone...
    Will HMD continue using the incomplete and plain version of Android from Google (known as Android one)? Just look at Z launcher from the real Nokia...it is way better that Google's implementation... having a personalized Android experience from Nokia is a requested feature from many many customers...plain Android one from Google is cheap.. incomplete...and has no key differentiator against other OEMs

Thanks
  • ad19 ad19
     / 
    Hi Sanjoy,

How long do you estimate, before HMD folds up?
    The quality of software that your development team is vomiting out on a regular interval is unbelievable and  unsustainable. Nokia 5.1 plus is in such a bad state of affairs, even after the latest update that I feel like asking HMD for a refund.
    Sincere advice to you - start looking for your next career move, outside HMD.

• Hey, im using NOKIA 5.1 PLUS. Sometimes when i unplug my headphones the PROXIMITY SENSOR won't work. After a Restart that issue is solved.
    Why is it so?
  • San.Phu San.Phu
    ✭✭✭  / 
    I want to known about HMD's future plan. How it will compete with Chinese OEMs who are providing more features in very aggressive price range.
  • TechPearl TechPearl
     /  edited May 14
    Hi, when is the May update coming out? i believe it will fix the "aggressive killing of background apps" issue? the delaying of push notifications from emails, news apps, Whatsapp etc., is really frustrating.
    I use Nokia 5.1 plus.
  • Mok's Mok's
     / 
    > @Sanjoy said:
    > Hello Nokia Fans, 
    >
    > I am Sanjoy Dass. I am HMD Global's Director for Product and Strategy (India). I have been part of the Nokia phones story for the past 14 years from Symbian to Windows to now Android, and it has been a thrilling, humbling, memorable journey! 
    >
    > Enough about me! I am here to answer any questions you may have about our products, our updates, the Android One program, and the future of Nokia phones. I have been browsing this forum for the past few weeks and I must say I am impressed by your knowledge, passion, and love for Nokia phones.
    >
    > That said, I have noticed a fair number of questions that you, Fans, have about our phones. Please feel free to ask your questions in the comment section below, and I promise to answer every one of them. 
    >
    > I will be logging in on Thursday, May 16th, 3-5pm India time (9.30-11.30am GMT) to answer your questions. 
    >
    > And going forward, I want to host more such sessions. 
    >
    > Looking forward to your questions! Please ask away in the comments below...
  • Mok's Mok's
     / 
    Hi.,

Happy to hear about this forum.., do you have any exchange program for Old Nokia models to new Nokia Models.

If there let me know.

Regards,
    Mok's
  • Chris Amobi Chris Amobi
     / 
    How can I know original Nokia X5
This discussion has been closed.