My first month with the Nokia 9 Pureview

Hi everyone. My first post here on the Nokia forums and it is just great to read all the different threads.

My first month with the Nokia 9 Pureview

Qruse83 Qruse83 ✭✭
✭✭  / 
Hi everyone.

My first post here on the Nokia forums and it is just great to read all the different threads. First of all I would like to mention that I have won the Nokia 9 Pureview in a photo contest. So my experiences are complety "biased" because I was not even planning to the Nokia 9 Pureview or to replace my old phone (OnePlus 3) before next year. So this is my thoughts of the Nokia 9 Pureview. Oh just to be clear I have already reached out to Nokia about the different things I am about to mention and they have sent forward my feedback to their dev. team.     

To start with I really like the design of the Nokia 9 and coupled with great internals and android one - well what's not to like? In compare to my Oneplus 3 this phone is definitly a step-up. The first i time i booted up the phone i recieved the first major update. I did what I always do installed all my apps and used nova launcher as my 3rd. party launcher (I have weakness for Nova I will admit that). As the first two weeks went by i experienced the follow things:
  • Spontaneous restart of the phone when starting the camera app.
  • Spontaneous crashed of the Gmail app.
  • Spontaneous restart of the phone when face-unlock enabled.
  • Spontaneous crash of Google services.
  • The last chosen wallpaper will briefly appear in background during boot of stock launcher.
  • Applying a solid black wallpaper in stock launcher results in greyish bar in the first 5-10% on top of the screen. Only in dynamic mode or using a 3rd. party launcher will this problem go away.             
  • When face-unlock fail and your are prompted to use your security pattern (or fingerprint), that pattern will some times be visible even if you have chosen it not to be.  
The first four things on the list is what I consider the most serious stuff I experienced. Especially the total crash of all the google services was seriously worring and I definitly did not expect that for an Android One device. In general there was a lot stabillity issues the first two weeks but the first four things got solved after a factory reset and they have not appeared again. The last three things still persist and can be/should be solved by software updates. Other stuff/future plans:
  • The quality of the pictures in auto-mode should be more consistent. Sometimes it takes fantastic pictures and other times the high lights are overblown. It is struggling to apply HDR correctly in auto-mode.
  • All Pictures stil has a hint of to much sharpness.
  • Monochrome depthmapping would be great.
  • Darkmode in-app settings.
  • A dedicated Night mode.
  • Switching between modes should be must faster.
  • Post processing is still slow.
  • Keep working on fingerprint reader...
  • The screen should momentarily light up white so face-unlock works during poor light.  
  • Possible stability issues when using 3rd. party launchers like Nova.    
  • Bluetooth auto-connect option if devices like smartwatches loses connection.  
My post became a bit long sorry for that but I just really wanted to share my experiences. Despite of all of this I see great potential here if Nokia is willing to iron out all the small bumps. Great hardware (The camera setup is seriously interesting) and Android One is a fantastic combo.

Thank you for your attention :smile:      

Comments

• Cico Cico ✭✭
    ✭✭  /  edited May 14
    Qruse83 said:
    Hi everyone.

My first post here on the Nokia forums and it is just great to read all the different threads. First of all I would like to mention that I have won the Nokia 9 Pureview in a photo contest. So my experiences are complety "biased" because I was not even planning to the Nokia 9 Pureview or to replace my old phone (OnePlus 3) before next year. So this is my thoughts of the Nokia 9 Pureview. Oh just to be clear I have already reached out to Nokia about the different things I am about to mention and they have sent forward my feedback to their dev. team.     

To start with I really like the design of the Nokia 9 and coupled with great internals and android one - well what's not to like? In compare to my Oneplus 3 this phone is definitly a step-up. The first i time i booted up the phone i recieved the first major update. I did what I always do installed all my apps and used nova launcher as my 3rd. party launcher (I have weakness for Nova I will admit that). As the first two weeks went by i experienced the follow things:
    • The last chosen wallpaper will briefly appear in background during boot of stock launcher.
    • Applying a solid black wallpaper in stock launcher results in greyish bar in the first 5-10% on top of the screen. Only in dynamic mode or using a 3rd. party launcher will this problem go away.             
    • When face-unlock fail and your are prompted to use your security pattern (or fingerprint), that pattern will some times be visible even if you have chosen it not to be.  
    The first four things on the list is what I consider the most serious stuff I experienced. Especially the total crash of all the google services was seriously worring and I definitly did not expect that for an Android One device. In general there was a lot stabillity issues the first two weeks but the first four things got solved after a factory reset and they have not appeared again. The last three things still persist and can be/should be solved by software updates. Other stuff/future plans:
    • The quality of the pictures in auto-mode should be more consistent. Sometimes it takes fantastic pictures and other times the high lights are overblown. It is struggling to apply HDR correctly in auto-mode.
    • The screen should momentarily light up white so face-unlock works during poor light.  
    My post became a bit long sorry for that but I just really wanted to share my experiences. Despite of all of this I see great potential here if Nokia is willing to iron out all the small bumps. Great hardware (The camera setup is seriously interesting) and Android One is a fantastic combo.

All what you said are software /firmware bugs and they will be crushed with time. As far as i know, the sudden crash happens at low battery levels, wheres the camera app takes too much current out of it so the battery shuts down to protect it's self. Yeah, one can say, this device was tested ony at the surface before being released.. kind of stupid from HMD, especially thet they do not find them selves in a good position this days, to make such mistakes. Ah ja, dark mode. Well minding the fact that HMD let's almost everything in the hands of Google (besides the usual firmware, drivers, cameras and so on) you are not going to see dark mode on Pie, but will come once android q is officially out.
  • kole tz kole tz ✭✭
    ✭✭  / 
    Cico said:
    Qruse83 said:
    Hi everyone.

All what you said are software /firmware bugs and they will be crushed with time. As far as i know, the sudden crash happens at low battery levels, wheres the camera app takes too much current out of it so the battery shuts down to protect it's self. Yeah, one can say, this device was tested ony at the surface before being released.. kind of stupid from HMD, especially thet they do not find them selves in a good position this days, to make such mistakes. Ah ja, dark mode. Well minding the fact that HMD let's almost everything in the hands of Google (besides the usual firmware, drivers, cameras and so on) you are not going to see dark mode on Pie, but will come once android q is officially out.
    All those problems, saw by Samsung, Apple, lg,htc too ...nothing new