Google Assistance ("Ok Google" Command) does not work on off screen

I observed this thing that when the phone is idle i.e.

Google Assistance ("Ok Google" Command) does not work on off screen

kunal_deshmukh kunal_deshmukh
✭✭  / 
I observed this thing that when the phone is idle i.e. screen is off and I fire command "OK Google", nothing happens...but when I unlock the phone manually and say OK Google then Google Assistance APP launches... I don't understand this at all.. my phone is up to date, android 9.0 and latest security patch. While reading some articles on various forums, I came to know that OK google won't work on Off Screen after Android 8 update due to security reasons.. But my previous Phones Redmi Note 4 and Moto G6 Plus both are having Android 8 and 9 respectively support this feature even when the screen is off and Nokia 8.1 being under Android one program(Google's premium series) does not support this... 
Anyone having a solution on this?
P.S. I have already activated Voice Match Settings like "Access with Voice Match" and "Lock Screen Personal results".

Comments

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Hi @kunal_deshmukh, do you have a PIN code, pattern or other lock method on your phone? If so then this is why okay google doesn't work when the phone is locked.
    Cheers :)
  • kunal_deshmukh kunal_deshmukh
    ✭✭  / 
    madbilly said:
    Hi @kunal_deshmukh, do you have a PIN code, pattern or other lock method on your phone? If so then this is why okay google doesn't work when the phone is locked.
    HI madbilly,
    I have  Moto G6 Plus with Pattern Lock, PIN Code Lock, Fingerprint Lock enabled with same android version and Ok google works fine on it. 
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Hi @kunal_deshmukh, okay then I've misunderstood how it works (I don't use it myself). I thought the phone had to be unlocked before it would work. Maybe this is just how HMD decided to implement it.