Can ability to flag posts be restricted based on rank?

Hi @HMD_Laura, @megan et al, Recently there have been some strange things happening where new users appear to have been created purely to flag the posts of others.

Can ability to flag posts be restricted based on rank?

madbilly madbilly
✭✭✭✭  / 
Hi @HMD_Laura, @megan et al,
Recently there have been some strange things happening where new users appear to have been created purely to flag the posts of others. Can the ability to flag posts for spam etc be restricted based on the rank of the person? This way it would be necessary to have at least spent some time and effort in the forum before being able to troll people!
I suspect that in response to the recent trolling some people have been retaliating by supporting their friends by systematically liking/agreeing/lolling as many of their posts as they can. This is a reasonable and expected response and difficult to put rules in place for. However, you could also restrict the ability to like/agree/lol a post based on rank, which would prevent anyone creating new users to promote themselves as well.
Cheers :)

Comments

• nitin kachare nitin kachare
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited June 1
    madbilly said:
    Hi @HMD_Laura, @megan et al,
    Recently there have been some strange things happening where new users appear to have been created purely to flag the posts of others. Can the ability to flag posts for spam etc be restricted based on the rank of the person? This way it would be necessary to have at least spent some time and effort in the forum before being able to troll people!
    I suspect that in response to the recent trolling some people have been retaliating by supporting their friends by systematically liking/agreeing/lolling as many of their posts as they can. This is a reasonable and expected response and difficult to put rules in place for. However, you could also restrict the ability to like/agree/lol a post based on rank, which would prevent anyone creating new users to promote themselves as well.
    I don't think it will happen as i think it's web implementation in our community is difficult as per rank but it can be applied for new user which is good in some cases like fake and trolling account.
    Basically there is need of limitations of likes,etc in a day for any particular user.Same limitations for flag and spam in a day.
    Might some disagree on this but there is need of some strict rules and control for invalid spamming.
  • NIMISHA NIMISHA
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited June 1
    @madbilly I can't agree more. You just wrote everything what's going inside my head since past few days. 

Even I've seen people who are top this week has more posts liked by their friends (almost all) I also have evidence to proof but its
    Just get on the same track of negative response by some people. 

Thank you for this post. 🙏  :)
  • user1520881638007 user1520881638007
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited June 2
    @madbilly ; @HMD_Laura
    Hello, thank you for initiative of opening this discussion page
    let me tell you that instead of keeping restriction,rules other points I can say few things which might useful
    • for a user who want to flag a post he can do that but for that it must be verified and get it grant from HMD community panel for accepting his flag,This will make even for users and HMD to restrict the flow of flag rate and also chances of taking action to such users will be easier
    • HMD has made some useful things where a flag user are giving comment on opting the option but what sad is that they just taking the comments from users and granting instantly but that is not been checked and get it removed if it is meaningless/irrelevant  report.it's only happening when we complaint to HMD staff only.This need to be changed completely
    these are my primary opinion to HMD and for eradicating such users from getting flagged to trusted/best users in community and making them discouraged in the community
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Nice suggestion about limiting the number of likes in a day. I have experience this in other community forums and it does stop people using fake users to promote themselves, or getting their friends to do that. However, how many likes is too many? I think I might average 50 a day - I like almost every post I read!

Hi @NIMISHA , yes clearly both disagree/flagging and like/agree/loling can be abused by people wanting to play games with the system. There's a computer game forum I used to follow closely and it was clear that some people preferred to "play" the forum instead of play the computer game! :D

Hi @user1520881638007, thanks for the support. Your suggestion about verifying flags is an interesting one. We don't know really how all the moderators and administrators manage flags, how they are reviewed and acted upon, what all their criteria are, so maybe some more information on this would help. I seem to remember @HMD_Laura writing that flags are only investigated after 3 are given, which is a kind of community verification that there the flag is genuine, however it can still be abused.
    Cheers :smiley:
  • nitin kachare nitin kachare
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited June 3
    madbilly said:
    Nice suggestion about limiting the number of likes in a day. I have experience this in other community forums and it does stop people using fake users to promote themselves, or getting their friends to do that. However, how many likes is too many? I think I might average 50 a day - I like almost every post I read!

Hi @NIMISHA , yes clearly both disagree/flagging and like/agree/loling can be abused by people wanting to play games with the system. There's a computer game forum I used to follow closely and it was clear that some people preferred to "play" the forum instead of play the computer game! :D

Hi @user1520881638007, thanks for the support. Your suggestion about verifying flags is an interesting one. We don't know really how all the moderators and administrators manage flags, how they are reviewed and acted upon, what all their criteria are, so maybe some more information on this would help. I seem to remember @HMD_Laura writing that flags are only investigated after 3 are given, which is a kind of community verification that there the flag is genuine, however it can still be abused.
    Cheers :smiley:
    Thanks.Same here in most cases i likes same post which i read and I think in between 10-15 is max in a day for a one user and if consider 50 is max then it's for all user in a day.
  • user1520881638007 user1520881638007
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    @madbilly
    Hello, i just drop my opinion on the comment you gave now
    If we see below every comment ,Reactions are available but since from past few days myself have been not able to understand why it so.But Hope that everyone must feel that there must be an importance of that reaction that HMD provided for all users

Basically I don't feel AGREE/LIKE are not absolutely an abuse thing or something you say.in many ways these are only the weapon for a user to forward this opinion to a company for making the products even better.Think Practically When a user types the comment and anyone feel that if there is an sync with his issue User may tap the Agree/Like option to give support.It is also act as the huge support to a user to force a company to listen the sufferings of device owners.i literally don't feel So this is not an abuse way,But I can say that agrees also plays a vital role to support trusted user from spam users who defaming them in the community.
    There are so many users that have been seen clicking repeated agrees/like but think in a good way that these users although not being worthy right in that time but i strongly feel that these only the main one who can slash the behavior of an user who defame other user.Practically happened to me when myself got flags for no reason.

Other reactions are completely agree with @madbilly comment
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Please don't call me old, but in the old Nokia Community forums (Nokia Support Discussions), all we had was a Kudos button. If you appreciate a post, give Kudos. That's it. It was more like thanks.
    Here's a screenshot of the leaderboard. You'll also notice some users in green. They were Nokia employees (not just mods, real people from the teams), actively taking part in the forum.

Sometimes simple things work better than complex ones 😊 The number of posts would help a user raise his rank. You can notice a number of ranks.

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited June 19
    @singhnsk: mobile visionary eh?! ;)

EDIT:

WOW - I just noticed that I am back at level 1! I went around the clock! :D

• singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Yeah, I was progressing really well. The Nokia employees there were so lovely. They would send hand written notes to appreciate the activity of active members. They would participate with their love for their position and the Nokia brand. It was a family. Then everything got moved to Microsoft Answers and it was a true mess. From that, I feel that HMD is doing still okay on these forums hah!
    Meanwhile:
    I see you back at Level 1: ROFL
    I see myself back at Level 1: 😡
    I see everyone back at Level 1 : ROFL again 😂😂😂
    Seems like it's time for Juho 8.2 indeed and we're getting a restart.
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Yes I see we're all back at level 1. I wonder what happened?