Ways to improve battery life on Nokia 6 after Pie update

After updating to Pie on my Nokia 6 (2017), I had seen reduced battery life.

Ways to improve battery life on Nokia 6 after Pie update

Ryan H Ryan H
✭✭  / 
After updating to Pie on my Nokia 6 (2017), I had seen reduced battery life.  I struggled with this for quite a while and so wanted to share some things that seemed to improve my battery life.  Before these changes I was seeing 1-2 days with normal use (1 hr screen time, 1 hr calls per day), now I'm seeing 3-4 days.  Note that I'm running the latest security patches and app versions as of 5/31/2019 - these may have also played a role.

1. Turn off unnecessary connections/services
Disable any connections you don't need running in the background, such as:
- Bluetooth
- Wifi (also turn off Wifi scanning while Wifi disabled)
- Location services
- Mobile data (if possible)*
- Google Play Store auto-updates/notifications
*Note: I keep mobile data enabled as my carrier uses VoLTE.  If it is disabled, I must intermittently toggle airplane mode for it to re-enable properly.

2. Turn on battery saver
I also have adaptive battery and "digital wellbeing" disabled as I don't find them necessary.

3. Turn on data saver (may not be applicable if running with mobile data disabled)
Alternatively, you can determine apps that are using any background data by checking app data usage.  For each app that is using background data, turn off background data (or restrict battery usage).  To give you an idea, here are the apps I saw using background data (and therefore battery), which I subsequently restricted:
- Camera
- Contacts
- Google Play Store
- Google
- Chrome
- Duo
- Drive
- GBoard
- Google News
- Maps
- Messages*
- Photos
- Youtube
- Files
- Third party apps
*Note: For Messages, only background data can be restricted (not battery).  This does not seem to affect receiving text messages.

4. For T-mobile (/MVNO) users, consider setting network type to "LTE only"
Since T-mobile is expanding its VoLTE network primarily, 2g/3g reception is unneeded in much of the country.  Since I'm in such an area, I've seen much improved battery life and little to no loss of coverage by setting the network type to "LTE only".  This can be done by dialing *#*#4636#*#* and selecting "LTE only" under Set Preferred Network Type.  Note that this setting survives reboots.  If I travel to areas with 2g/3g coverage only, I temporarily restore this setting to its original value (TD-SCDMA/CDMA/UMTS).
Tagged: