Global events in Italy and India on 6th June - but no hype on this forum?

Hi all, HMD will hold events in both Italy and India on 6th June and have recently been teasing details about a new phone or new phones which are expected to be announced, plus the new low light mode for the camera app.

Global events in Italy and India on 6th June - but no hype on this forum?

madbilly madbilly
✭✭✭✭  / 
Hi all,
HMD will hold events in both Italy and India on 6th June and have recently been teasing details about a new phone or new phones which are expected to be announced, plus the new low light mode for the camera app.
But, HMD haven't made any announcements on this forum? Very strange, considering that before Dubai and Barcelona they posted plenty. What's so secret about these upcoming events?
Just another indication that HMD don't think the forum is worth investing effort into? As you all know (I hope), I think the forum is the most important PR tool that HMD have, they just don't seem to realise that...
Cheers? :neutral:

Comments

• wilson shrestha wilson shrestha
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Yeah I guess they are investing even little time on maintaining the forum now. The forum still being on beta stage is a major sign of that. Announcements as you said is a key to attract consumers and enthusiasts but since they did non in their own official forum I'm guessing they don't have much to offer this time around. Perhaps they are afraid of all the criticism they are going to receive when they announce the night mode only on the new Nokia X71 or Nokia 6.2.
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    The forums are already so full of negativity. It is kind-of hard to ignite excitement for a new product when the user is not so happy with the Nokia he/she currently owns. And most members of the forums are current owners of some Nokia phone. Nokia has lost that wow factor which was once a synonym for the brand. If Nokia is launching something, it's gonna be extraordinary and special, not anymore. 
    To me, the forums right now might not be the right place to do some hype building for the upcoming products. It will be just like their twitter feed which always gets more replies in the form of complaints, than the ones asking about the product being marketed.

HMD has more or less made the forums a place where existing users complain and rant. Sure, they do try some competitions and engagements but they aren't enough. There are no talks of development, neither about fresh new ideas for future products.

@wilson shrestha The Nokia X71 will not be Nokia 6.2 😝

• wilson shrestha wilson shrestha
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited June 3
    singhnsk said:
    The forums are already so full of negativity. It is kind-of hard to ignite excitement for a new product when the user is not so happy with the Nokia he/she currently owns. And most members of the forums are current owners of some Nokia phone. Nokia has lost that wow factor which was once a synonym for the brand. If Nokia is launching something, it's gonna be extraordinary and special, not anymore. 
    To me, the forums right now might not be the right place to do some hype building for the upcoming products. It will be just like their twitter feed which always gets more replies in the form of complaints, than the ones asking about the product being marketed.

HMD has more or less made the forums a place where existing users complain and rant. Sure, they do try some competitions and engagements but they aren't enough. There are no talks of development, neither about fresh new ideas for future products.

@wilson shrestha The Nokia X71 will not be Nokia 6.2 😝

My Bad. Found out about this a little too late. 😁
  • sach sach
    ✭✭  / 
    True, even I had a very bad customer service experience. They didn't even reply properly in twitter also.
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Yes, they ignore any negative question or comment on Twitter as much as on the forum or on any social network of any kind I think (I don't track Instagram, Youtube or Facebook but I assume they're the same). The whole community engagement approach is incredibly disappointing.

@nokianchetan and @juho lemmetyinen are very good at catching the eye of @HMD Global (I've no idea what account that is, but I'll tag them just in case!) and since they have many followers they're quite good influencers, but maybe that's not enough for HMD, maybe they expect all of us who went on these trips to get the same level of influence... who knows.
    [/rant]
    :D
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited June 4
    No, I was wrong, please excuse me....
    [rant]
    This whole X71 business is ridiculous. I think that the leaks are correct, it won't be the 6.2, but nevertheless why can't HMD release the X71 globally? It has a very interesting camera set up, lots of people would be interested in buying it (especially now Huawei's future is doubtful). But no, never mind not launch it we can't even talk about it! Why can't they have a section on this forum for the X71 (and bring back the Nokia 7 forum)? And the 3.1 plus Cricket and 2V whilst I'm at it... :angry:
    Back to the lack of community engagement. I cannot believe that it's beyond their capabilities to write a short post to say "Something is coming on 6th June, here's our teaser videos, stay tuned..."
    Unbelievable :unamused:
    EDIT:
    Back on phone subforums... To add to the daftness - the X7 still has a dedicated separate forum, which is because I suggested it when the X7 was launched!!! Why didn't they merge it into the 8.1 forum when that was launched?
    How daft! Aaarrrggghhhh!

I've obviously lost my cool today, but I think it's been a long time coming. :D
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited June 4
    HMD right now 😂😂😂
    .rant {diplay:none;
    }
    You are all right, @madbilly. It might be just my educated guess, but I can kinda blame it on FIH making the exit. The device is a FIH product, and I think now HMD is running away from them. And hence throwing huge discounts on existing phones to deplete the inventory and close that bad chapter. X71 is interesting product, but it probably doesn't fit the portfolio given the price and the hardware used and the name used. Maybe we'll see a different iteration of the hole punch display in one of the launches on 6th. Let's wait for it. There's definitely some buzz, I hope the devices don't come out to be pale once again.

I remember Juho making a public post on Twitter when X6 was launched in China. It was engaging and exciting, the world was talking, the news was covering it. Then X7 was launched very silently, no official talks on a global level. Then came the X71 in TW/CN and absolutely 0 words by the global staff. When Xiaomi launches a thing in China (say their most recent flagship killer K20), their regional accounts immediately pick it and start advertising/building buzz about it. Even if it will never launch in some market.
    Why can't HMD? Why nobody of HMD is allowed to reveal something or talk about something unless and until the CPO posts it on his Twitter? This is even for basic things such as an infographic about how our updates work. I do not appreciate that. Feels like the power is being centralized and seriously controlled.
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited June 5
    Good point about FIH, I hadn't thought of that. Though surely HMD would get a better price from FIH if they were going to offer it in all markets? Maybe, maybe not!
    Hole punch display tomorrow? Hmm, since it hasn't been "teased" yet I am sceptical, but it's possible.
    Yes the @nokiamobile twitter account is actually not very good at promoting what they're doing around the world. Is it intended only for English speaking "western" countries? Difficult to understand the way they use it.
    The complete absence of a hype machine is very strange. This is clearly a big global launch as they're teasing it on Twitter, but there has been nothing like the level of noise I would have expected them to create. It's.... like the marketing department is deserted.... creepy! :D
    EDIT: Not even a livestream link yet, less than 24 hours before the event. Very strange.
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited June 6
    @madbilly probably this is the reason: Launching Nokia 2.2. Isn't it already a waste of resources for an event? Provided 2.2 is the only thing that's launching!

• MatteBlacke MatteBlacke
    ✭✭✭  /  edited June 6
    Maybe they are planning something else as a big surprise?
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Hi @MatteBlacke yes I agree with you, it won't be only the 2.2... surely not! :worried:
  • MatteBlacke MatteBlacke
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Now that the event is over, We can tell that nothing other than the 2.2 was announced.

What a waste...
  • juholemmetyinen juholemmetyinen
    ✭✭  / 
    madbilly said:
    Yes, they ignore any negative question or comment on Twitter as much as on the forum or on any social network of any kind I think (I don't track Instagram, Youtube or Facebook but I assume they're the same). The whole community engagement approach is incredibly disappointing.

@nokianchetan and @juho lemmetyinen are very good at catching the eye of @HMD Global (I've no idea what account that is, but I'll tag them just in case!) and since they have many followers they're quite good influencers, but maybe that's not enough for HMD, maybe they expect all of us who went on these trips to get the same level of influence... who knows.
    [/rant]
    :D
    Hi!

I'm flattered that you mentioned "influencer" and "Lemmetyinen" at the same sentence, but I really am just posting random pictures I like from Finland :D

I have to admit I don't know the context of this conversation to really contribute, but come to think of it I've seen some symptoms or problems mentioned previously. I think the communication from @nokiamobile has been a bit lacking and just today at work we pondered at the lunch table, that the system around Nokia phones and HMD seem a bit messy. HMD is mentioned every now and then, but they don't actually concretely contribute to the conversation anywhere and @nokiamobile seems like a bit shallow and empty front page every now and then.

@juho seems to carry a lot of weight in his shoulder regarding marketing and problem solving. Just recently he replied to a finnish tech blogger about a buggy 7.1, so he clearly contributes his part to the nokia phone ecosystem. Maybe the HMD should step up their efforts in social media and come up with a more coherent strategy.

I've never had problems with these newer Nokia phones, but I'm sure people are mad if their problems aren't met with proper attention. I live in a small problem free bubble in Finland happily taking photos and learning more and more about photography and RAW editing with my Nokia 9 so, maybe I don't have the insights like some of you have in this forum regarding this topic. I'll make sure to study this problem and see if I can do something towards making things for the better!

PS @madbilly I still haven't managed to find you on twitter, where are you hiding? :D
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    @juho lemmetyinen On man.. I want to press Agree, Like and LOL for your comment. But pity that I can only choose one. So, I'll go with the like 🙂
    Since you mentioned Juho, while I agree that he's trying to conversate, we should also see that nobody else does. It is a case of either having too much power centralized with one person, or else others are just plain uninterested at starting conversations. Both situations need an urgent attention.
    Juho is tweeting what the official nokiamobile handle should be tweeting. Today it is more like follow Juho for news and updates about Nokia Mobile. When a new phone update comes and Juho is the news breaker, that's building a brand value and following of Juho, not directly of Nokia. For it to be fair, Nokia Mobile should be tweeting that and Juho and other employees should be RTing it to reach his/their followers.
    ✭✭  / 
    singhnsk said:
    @juho lemmetyinen On man.. I want to press Agree, Like and LOL for your comment. But pity that I can only choose one. So, I'll go with the like 🙂
    Since you mentioned Juho, while I agree that he's trying to conversate, we should also see that nobody else does. It is a case of either having too much power centralized with one person, or else others are just plain uninterested at starting conversations. Both situations need an urgent attention.
    Juho is tweeting what the official nokiamobile handle should be tweeting. Today it is more like follow Juho for news and updates about Nokia Mobile. When a new phone update comes and Juho is the news breaker, that's building a brand value and following of Juho, not directly of Nokia. For it to be fair, Nokia Mobile should be tweeting that and Juho and other employees should be RTing it to reach his/their followers.
    You put this better here. Yeah, as good as an account Juho has, people outside the Nokia & tech bubble don't know who he is (nothing personal if you're reading this :D) and Nokia as a brand is way more reaching and powerful towards people outside the Nokia & tech bubble. Just to compare the follower numbers in Twitter: Juho - 31k, Nokia Mobile - 124k, Nokia - 2,18M. I included Nokia here to just show the brand value the name has, eventhough it is a different thing than Nokia Mobile.

So yeah, to sum up I can agree with your thoughs and moreover I think I've just said everything you said, AGAIN :D
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Hi @juho lemmetyinen thanks for joining in, great to hear from you! :smiley: You can find me on twitter, but I don't tweet, so I'm not worth following and it also makes me very hard to find ;)
    I noticed that @juho was the person which LinkedIn told me had been referenced in a news article about HMD moving its data centre to Finland - not HMD, not Nokia Mobile, but Juho! Juho gave the interview, but he's CPO, not CIO, so why did he give the interview?! It must be the strategy for HMD, or HMD's social media team feel that Juho is doing such a good job they don't have to.
    Maybe HMD will stop using the Nokia brand and replace it with the Juho brand... we can by a Juho 8.2! :D
    ✭✭  / 
    @madbilly I kind of like the idea of this Juho 8.2 concept ;)
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Well from the latest rumours and "leaks" the Daredevil TA-1198 seems to have the same specs as the X71 but with a different camera arrangement and could be the 5.2.... or the 6.2! So @wilson shrestha may be right after all ;)
  • Himanshu1712 Himanshu1712
    ✭✭  / 
    Well it seems like nostalgia is going to end sooner or later. What is wrong with nokia why they are letting HMD ruining it?