USB charging cables differences?

Hi all,Yesterday I tested my 8 with the charger and charging cable of an 8.1 to see if the problem with my phone is the USB-C port or the cable, or the charger.

USB charging cables differences?

madbilly madbilly
Super User  / 
Hi all,
Yesterday I tested my 8 with the charger and charging cable of an 8.1 to see if the problem with my phone is the USB-C port or the cable, or the charger. I was very surprised to see that the phone did not charge at all, with either the 8.1 cable and my charger or the 8.1 cable and charger combined! I forgot to check using the 8.1 charger and the cable for the 8, but I imagine it would have worked.
The cable for the 8 is USB 3.x, it has a blue plastic piece in the USB-A plug. The cable for the 8.1 doesn't have blue plastic and therefore I assume it is USB 2.x. I have previously tested another USB 2.x to USB-C cable and that also didn't work, but I assumed it was because the cable was broken.... but now I'm not so sure.
Does anyone know for certain if the 8 will only charge with a USB 3.x cable? Why is this?
I also note that Qualcomm use a green plastic insert in their USB-A plugs to indicate QuickCharge compatibility, but this is missing from the 8's cable and charger...
Cheers :)

Comments

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

I can wholeheartedly recommend the premium ones they are extremely good and have a lifetime warranty.

• martin.fd martin.fd
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited June 2019
    I use these:
    which are also not USB 2.0 and they work fine

Edit: just realized that those are the same as that of @mrbelter
    (the link hadn't worked in my Firefox)
    ;)

• martin.fd martin.fd
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    @mrbelter: Didn't you announce yesterday that you wanted to withdraw from this forum ...?!?!
    B)o:)<3>:)

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  /  edited June 2019
    martin.fd said:
    @mrbelter: Didn't you announce yesterday that you wanted to withdraw from this forum ...?!?!

Ah, he can't stay away! :D
    Thanks for the tips everyone :smiley:
  • todesurteil todesurteil
    ✭✭✭  / 
    @madbilly
    Not sure but there might be voltage/amp differences between the 8 and 8.1 that's why the 8.1's charger/cable might not work. Not sure just my opinion. 

Currently not at home, but remember I checked a while ago what the amps/voltages on the Sirocco charger was and that of the 8.1 and they weren't the same.
  • madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 
    Hi @todesurteil I don't have the 8.1 available anymore but I checked and I thought they were the same... hmm. Still, I don't understand why a USB 2.0 cable wouldn't work, I thought they were supposed to be backwards compatible? :grey_question:
  • MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    martin.fd said:

You're right, I'll have to disable notifications :)
  • user389 user389
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    The USB 2 or 3 standard is about data transfer speed, not charging.
    My Nokia 8 charges fine with both the OEM cable and the cable from an affordable 'Itian' car charger - from any USB wall charger and PC. The charging speed varies, but it works.
    Check the USB port in the phone for dust and fluff - and confirm it's undamaged and grips tightly when the cable is attached?
  • madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 

And I just dug out mounds of fluff from the USB socket on my 8! 😂

I finally just got fed up and tried to clean it with interdental brushes, an old tooth brush and switch/contact cleaner. It didn't have any effect, but then I caught a glimpse of some inconsistency in the back of the socket and thought "Aha! It really is full of fluff after all!" :😆

It was quite solidly packed in there which is probably why it didn't come out with any kind of brush. In the end I used a piece of thin but tough wire, like a small paper clip, to gradually dig that fluff out.

Now the USB-C plug goes all the way in! Amazing! Needless to say I have no more charging problems.

I never had this kind of problem with micro-USB sockets. But USB-C sockets seem to be very prone to this - maybe it needs to be noted in the phone user guides that periodically the USB-C socket will need to be cleaned?

But how? Surely sticking bits of metal into the phone voids the warranty?! I suppose a thin but very strong piece of plastic may do just as well, but I'd be concerned about it breaking and getting stuck in there.

Cheers 😃