What on earth is "Low light image fusion" technology?!

Hi all,Apparently the Nokia 2.2's teased "night mode" is actually called "Low light image fusion" technology!

What on earth is "Low light image fusion" technology?!

madbilly madbilly
✭✭✭✭  / 
Hi all,
Apparently the Nokia 2.2's teased "night mode" is actually called "Low light image fusion" technology! So, does anyone know what this really is? How does it work? How does it improve night shots? Are the night shots as good as on the 8.1?
Cheers :)

Comments

• user1520881638007 user1520881638007
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    @madbilly
    As of now still there are no official review is available  inYouTube and Even No users have Own Nokia 2.2,But with only specification they gave I have surf in Browser and it says that Helio A22 Chipset has ability to have Good Camera Experience as per MediaTek Website.That's I know right now
  • Kartik Gada Kartik Gada
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    As per my understanding and what was mentioned in the official press release. This technique is somewhat similar to that of gcam. It captures multiple images and then combines the data of every image for a brighter output. The word "fusion" is a hint  ;)

• seanetta seanetta
    ✭✭✭  / 
    I doubt something this cheap would be good in lowlight. The "Low light image fusion" technology is a marketing term for the phones camera which i guess they state takes better lowlight images. But i doubt it will 
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    seanetta said:
    I doubt something this cheap would be good in lowlight. The "Low light image fusion" technology is a marketing term for the phones camera which i guess they state takes better lowlight images. But i doubt it will 
    Won't work like gcam or at the flagship level but I hope it helps improve the camera to some extent. Even if it is better than other smartphones in the similar price range it is a win for Nokia 2.2. :)
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    seanetta said:
    Won't work like gcam or at the flagship level but I hope it helps improve the camera to some extent. Even if it is better than other smartphones in the similar price range it is a win for Nokia 2.2. :)
    But the question is..Is it better than other smartphones in this price range? The 13MP tag itself makes me believe that Nokia is now doing the chinese style of marketing. High megapixels, bad results xD 
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    singhnsk said:
    seanetta said:
    But the question is..Is it better than other smartphones in this price range? The 13MP tag itself makes me believe that Nokia is now doing the chinese style of marketing. High megapixels, bad results xD 
    There is nothing "Chinese style of marketing" in this. It is a low-end phone and adding a 13MP camera does help to some extent. The 13MP camera has an f2.2 aperture which is an upgrade over the f2.6 aperture of 1st gen Nokia 2 and f2.4 aperture of Nokia 2.1. This should definitely show some improvements.

I guess this is the same sensor used on the Vivo Y81i. This is the closest direct competition to the Nokia 2.2 with exactly the same specs. Now, everything depends on the algorithms. We cannot judge how the camera performs by just looking at the raw specs. Only reviews will tell how does the camera on 2.2 perform. The camera performance won't be groundbreaking but I hope it is better than the camera performance of phones in the same price range. :)
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Hi all,
    Yes @Kartik Gada I think you're right about the GCam-a-like HDR style photography. I learnt this from a good website called LoveNokia.net ;)
    I should have read the press release, good to thanks.
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited June 8
    @Kartik Gada My intention was about what's being offered. A general tendency of the consumers is to weigh a camera per megapixels. Honestly speaking, even I do not have a good understanding of what the aperture does to photographs. Might have read, but I have again forgotten. I believe the 13MP at this price will still remain a namesake. That's why I mentioned it being a Chinese strategy. My experience with Lumias has always been so that even lower megapixels can give great photos. I do not see the same anymore with HMD.
    Now if you compare the camera to that on 3.2 or 4.2, it is essentially the same. That will mean that you are not necessarily getting a better camera than what is offered on the more pricier options. Now if this whatever image fusion technology is giving better output on the 2.2 than the 3.2/4.2, then IDK what to say anymore.
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    singhnsk said:
    @Kartik Gada My intention was about what's being offered. A general tendency of the consumers is to weigh a camera per megapixels. Honestly speaking, even I do not have a good understanding of what the aperture does to photographs. Might have read, but I have again forgotten. I believe the 13MP at this price will still remain a namesake. That's why I mentioned it being a Chinese strategy. My experience with Lumias has always been so that even lower megapixels can give great photos. I do not see the same anymore with HMD.
    Now if you compare the camera to that on 3.2 or 4.2, it is essentially the same. That will mean that you are not necessarily getting a better camera than what is offered on the more pricier options. Now if this whatever image fusion technology is giving better output on the 2.2 than the 3.2/4.2, then IDK what to say anymore.
    The cameras have same specs on all three phones but all three phones come with different processors. I am not sure about this but I think different processors come with different ISP's which might appect the overall image quality. 🤔
    This low light image fusion should come to  all Nokia smartphones. Atleast we will get to know how it performs. 😁
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Hi @Kartik Gada very interesting point about the same specs on those three phones, well spotted! However, it doesn't necessarily mean they're the same hardware (though they might be). Yes different SoCs typically have different ISPs etc so if they're the same camera hardware then only the SoC can make a difference. It will be very interesting if someone can do a comparison review of these three.
  • AniketThakur AniketThakur
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    madbilly said:
    Hi all,
    Apparently the Nokia 2.2's teased "night mode" is actually called "Low light image fusion" technology! So, does anyone know what this really is? How does it work? How does it improve night shots? Are the night shots as good as on the 8.1?

I'm 100% sure that they would not ever bother to give camera update to Nokia 7+
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    The cameras have same specs on all three phones but all three phones come with different processors. I am not sure about this but I think different processors come with different ISP's which might appect the overall image quality. 🤔
    This low light image fusion should come to  all Nokia smartphones. Atleast we will get to know how it performs. 😁
    @KartikGada I think that shouldn't affect the outcome by a big degree. Else the OEMs themselves will have their set of problems. Because they will not be able to bring the intended camera output on certain devices. I think on all these entery level chips, the ISP will be doing the similar functions with very similar output.
    Ofcourse the results can only be compared if we use exactly the same camera app version on the 3 devices and take 3 shots simultaneously.
  • user1520881638007 user1520881638007
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Nokia in terms of camera still needs more maturity because competitors like VIVO and OPPO are much far away in terms of camera technology.Nokia Once it was great in feature and also smartphones cameras but in HMD still it faces lots of problems while providing the perfect camera application.when a company ports its own camera then they must take responsibility to give regular updates with bug fixes and camera feature upgrades.Lack of these things becoming no more better experience when compared to other smartphones manufacturer.
  • Evindzer Evindzer
    ✭✭✭  / 
    madbilly said:
    Apparently the Nokia 2.2's teased "night mode" is actually called "Low light image fusion" technology! (...) How does it improve night shots?

It doesn't. It's just a cheap marketing trick. 🤫
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    It depends what you call "low light", but these look quite good considering the price of the phone:
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    @madbilly You know I did not share anything from my 2.2. I did not get the new update, still stuck on April, but the camera does not satisfy me right now. I am waiting for the update and then I will mark my final opinion :-)
  • Evindzer Evindzer
    ✭✭✭  / 
    madbilly said:
    It depends what you call "low light", but these [pictures] look quite good (...)
    Yeah, they look fine, but no cheap phone will ever have a great camera. 🥴
  • adylanchng adylanchng
    ✭✭  / 
    madbilly said:
    Hi all,

Probably a marking gimmik