How do open the back panel / extract the insides of an aluminium 5.1 plus?

Any tear-downs or schematics available?

How do open the back panel / extract the insides of an aluminium 5.1 plus?

Kyudos Kyudos
✭✭  / 
Any tear-downs or schematics available?

I'm trying to change a broken screen on my son's 5.1. I recently changed another broken screen on my wife's 6.1 and that was easy - digitiser connection accessible from the front (good design for repair-ability, thumbs up Nokia!). I was anticipating the 5.1 being the same, but it isn't (poor decision Nokia!).

(Yes I could take it to a repair shop, but the repair costs approach the cost of a new phone. I got the spare part for $40, there should be no reason I can't do this myself)
Tagged:

Best Answer

• singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  /  Accepted Answer
    I found this video of a Nokia 5.1. JUst images, but I beleive they add a lot of information. Please have a look.

Answers

• singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Hi Kyudos,
    I am not a pro, but I like DIYing too. It is not so clear which device you have. Is it the 5.1 Plus or the 5.1? The Nokia 5.1 Plus has will require a removal of both front panel  (display) and the back panel (probably made of glass). That's because the display connector winds over and connects to the backside of the chassis.
    If it is the 5.1, then I guess the display should be the first thing to come out since the backside is a solid piece of aluminum?
  • Kyudos Kyudos
    ✭✭  / 
    It's solid aluminium...so perhaps a 5.1 then. I have already removed the broken glass and digitiser, but I don't know how to attack the next bit. Does the carriage just lever out? Do you have to remove the plastic end caps first?
  • Kyudos Kyudos
    ✭✭  / 
    Perfect...just what I needed. All fixed now. No idea why I didn't find this...I spent days Googling for solutions