I've got a prototype!

Calm down! I do have a prototype smartphone, but it's not a Nokia... Well, not exactly

I've got a prototype!

madbilly madbilly
✭✭✭✭  /  edited June 7
Calm down! :D
I do have a prototype smartphone, but it's not a Nokia...
Well, not exactly ;)
Who knows which model this is? Hint: it's nothing really special.
It's still running prototype software AFAIK and had a prototype IMEI, , unlike some other prototypes which use a production IMEI.
I've not had chance to explore the software much yet but I don't think I'll find anything surprising, because this isn't the MacLaren or whatever that 3D touch one is called.
Fyi I found it on eBay, someone was selling a bunch of them and I feel like I got a bargain, cheaper than a production one in bad condition!
Does anyone else have a prototype from the old company? Care to share?
Cheers :)

Comments

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Thanks, I found that article too. I'm sure @hikari calyx knows lots about these prototypes, but I didn't find much relevant to my phone in that article. After looking in more detail my phone seems to be running RTM software, which means it's prototype hardware with production software, so no special apps or anything, which is a shame as I was interested to see the kinds of things which could be tested on prototypes.
    Cheers :)
  • hikari calyx hikari calyx
    ✭✭  / 
    Appearently this is a Lumia 950 prototype. Microsoft doesn't care about Lumia prototype leaks now :P
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Hi @hikari calyx, yes it's a 950 proto. It doesn't have the proto apps though - do you know where I can find them? I might ask you on XDA.
    Since MS bought Nokia D&S, and now MS killed the smartphone business, then neither Nokia nor MS should care at all about any of their old prototypes should they? This should mean that all those people hiding those rare unseen and unknown devices can now reveal them to the world! (I hope)
    Cheers :smiley:
  • hikari calyx hikari calyx
    ✭✭  / 
    madbilly said:
    Hi @hikari calyx, yes it's a 950 proto. It doesn't have the proto apps though - do you know where I can find them? I might ask you on XDA.
    Since MS bought Nokia D&S, and now MS killed the smartphone business, then neither Nokia nor MS should care at all about any of their old prototypes should they? This should mean that all those people hiding those rare unseen and unknown devices can now reveal them to the world! (I hope)
    Cheers :smiley:
    Prototype apps can be only obtained from prototype emmc dump.
    I personally have a RM-1105 dump.
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Mine is a 1104. I'll check around and see if I can find a dump from a proto of that model.