HMD Global owns up to confusing product naming

https://9to5google.com/2019/06/10/nokia-confusing-product-naming/

HMD Global owns up to confusing product naming

terminusaquo terminusaquo
✭✭✭  / 

About time, but why would you want to name the Nokia 8.1 as the Nokia 8 when you already have a Nokia 8!!?!

Comments

• MatteBlacke MatteBlacke
    ✭✭✭  /  edited June 10
    Nokia does need to improve their naming scheme. I got confused when the Nokia 4.2 was announced. There was no OG Nokia 4 or 4.1 but the phone directly came with the 4.2 moniker...

I guess Nokia can start releasing phones with series divided by alphabets like Samsung S for premium flagships, A for Premium midrangers, J for Budget and so on...
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited June 10

About time, but why would you want to name the Nokia 8.1 as the Nokia 8 when you already have a Nokia 8!!?!
    This was actually already said by @juho during the Nokia 8.1 launch. That they will stop relying on the Plus tag.
    Meanwhile, I think the article author has mixed something up. What Shroff tried to say was that instead of 7 Plus being 7 Plus, it should have been an 8 in the first place. And by that regards, probably an 8.1 and the current 8.1 should have been 8.2.

@MatteBlacke This was talked about in the AMA. The Nokia 4.2 directly skipped to the 4.2 because otheriwse it would have been odd one considering all other series are on their x.2 generation now. The 4 or 4.1 would have looked like a first gen and older product. Hence, to streamline, they skipped the 4.0 and 4.1. Wonder why that didn't happen with the Nokia 1 Plus though. They once again used Plus there whereas they could have called it 1.1 or 1.2 (or that doesn't sound good)? :P
  • Can anyone help,i get no ring tone when i call someone and when they answer there is no sound,all my settings are correct,please help
  • Robert Bovill said:
    Can anyone help,i get no ring tone when i call someone and when they answer there is no sound,all my settings are correct,please help

Having the same problem
  • loco73 loco73
    ✭✭  / 
    Personally, I don't really feel confused. Each product number corresponds to a particular line of the Nokia devices. Each subsequent release like for ....meanexample etctje Nokia 7, 7.1 and so on,  it will be different iteration or version of that particular line of handsets...

Are Samsung or Apple any clearer with all the models they released. I've lost count of their entire device designation threads. Same for LG, Motorola etc. HMD did the best they could to have each specific handset correspond more to their price point than anything else.

Hey look at it this way...at least they are not BlackBerry with such "brilliant" device names as Priv (which could be a toilette), DTEK something or other. On BB10 it was the same story, Z10, Z30, Q5, Q10...can anyone actually make any more sense of that?!