Monochrome mode in Nokia 9 Pureview - true monochrome or desaturated RGB - try for yourselves

Just make a simple experiment...

Monochrome mode in Nokia 9 Pureview - true monochrome or desaturated RGB - try for yourselves

user1528226019961 user1528226019961
✭✭✭  / 
Just make a simple experiment... cover all three monochrome sensors with tape (Scotch "magic tape" is fine since has an oppaline translucid effect without blocking all light) and leave the two rgb sensors uncovered. I did this with a phone case so that tape does not contact directly with the N9 glass back.

Put the camera on monochrome mode and focus on something, and you will see a perfect grayscale image. Then take a picture on monochrome mode and you will see a competely blurred image, both on jpg and raw files.

My interpretation... the live monochrome image is a desaturated version of a color image obtained through one rgb sensor (it is the central one since nothing happens when I cover the other), but the final rgb images are the fusion of the three monochrome output.

Try for yourselves...

Thanks

Comments

• singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Interesting discovery. I guess that was likely as showing input from all sensors in the viewfinder would be too much real-time info to process. Maybe they could have delivered the feed from one of the monochromes for the monochrome mode.
    While reading the text, I was afraid that your result would be rather that the input from the monochrome sensor wasn't used at all, and the main sensor gave grayscale output. Thankfully, it is relying on the physical mono sensors for the final image.
  • user1528226019961 user1528226019961
    ✭✭✭  / 
    But not all the mono sensors seem to be equally wheighted in producing an image. In an experiment where 2 of the 3 mono sensors are covered, the only case I could get a decent image was when the mono sensor under the flash was left uncovered... anyone interested in confirming this?

Thanks

✭✭✭  / 
    Obviously, this text from my first post... 

My interpretation... the live monochrome image is a desaturated version of a color image obtained through one rgb sensor (it is the central one since nothing happens when I cover the other), but the final rgb images are the fusion of the three monochrome output.

Should read as...

My interpretation... the live monochrome image is a desaturated version of a color image obtained through one rgb sensor (it is the central one since nothing happens when I cover the other), but the final MONOCHROME images are the fusion of the three monochrome output.

Sorry for the typo...
  • Stukloplast Stukloplast
    ✭✭  / 
    But not all the mono sensors seem to be equally wheighted in producing an image. In an experiment where 2 of the 3 mono sensors are covered, the only case I could get a decent image was when the mono sensor under the flash was left uncovered... anyone interested in confirming this?

Thanks

Yes, since the update, there seems to be something wrong with the monochrome mode. If you try to shoot a paper, for example, almost filling the frame in live view, the resulting raw and jpg images are shifted to the right, comparing with the live composition of the image. This makes it hard to compose the image properly, and I'm 99% sure, that was not the case before the update. Not to mention the worsen quality of the raw files...
  • juholemmetyinen juholemmetyinen
    ✭✭  / 

The resulting B&W image is off center too, so close up shot can be quite tricky to line up. The viewfinder should, imo, show the feed from one of the mono cameras, so that lining up things was easier.

• Tim9 Tim9
    ✭✭  / 
    @Stukloplast you problem would make sense if the live image comes from a different sensor to the one used to take the image.
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Yes... you are right about the image shifting, and it should be related to the probable main role of the monochrome sensor located under the flash when producing monochrome images, as mentioned above ...

"But not all the mono sensors seem to be equally wheighted in producing an image. In an experiment where 2 of the 3 mono sensors are covered, the only case I could get a decent image was when the mono sensor under the flash was left uncovered... anyone interested in confirming this?"

If we focus on a black dot on a paper, and align the dot with that specific "main monochrome sensor under the flash", and see the live image on monochrome mode the dot appears shifted to the right on the screen but then it appears centered on the final monochrome image.
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Just one more thing about this issue, which of course can also be tested by us all...

Have you also been noticing that the bottom RGB sensor (i.e. when the phone is on an upright position) is quite important for focus locking?

In other words:

A monochrome image can be obtained with just one monochrome sensor uncovered, providing that such sensor is the one under the flash (with the phone upright). The resulting image is shifted to the right from the "grayscaled" live feed that is obtained with the central RGB sensor. 

The live feed of an RGB image (in photo or pro mode), or of a monochrome image, only mantains focus lock (best seen when targeting a nearby subject) when both the central and bottom RGB sensors are left uncovered. When the central one is covered, the feed and resulting image are blurred, and when the bottom one is covered the feed and resulting image can be sharp but focus is quite unstable. This occurs both with the Tof sensor covered or uncovered.

Obviously, the above observations do NOT imply that all sensors, individually, do not contribute to the superb quality found on final "image fused" raws!!! On the contrary, it is quite obvious that a raw obtained with the N9 native app can be much better than a raw obtained with anorther app that only grabs a single image from the main sensor (e.g. the excellent app Open camera). This is best seen with low light. The issue is trying to dissect the roles of the main sensors involved in RGB and monochrome imaging, as well as on focusing...

... and the lack of MANUAL FOCUS in pro mode is really a major drawback in this otherwise great "cameraphone".

Just repeating myself, sorry...

Thanks!
  • I no longer have my Huawei Mate 10 Pro with a monochrome lens to perform that same test.

Nor do I remember reading mistrust or doubts about it at that time about the black and white of that capture. 

Since the emergence of the inactive ToF of the Huawei P30 Pro and the forums tests of covering one or several lenses in forums, this patch of Odin type eye has been viralized

We also do not know the exact process of the computer photography of the Nokia 9 PureView

But we know that color photography is achieved with the addition of 3 black and white lenses and 2 RGB color lenses.

That said, it seems logical that the black and white photo is achieved in the same way with the sum of 5 lenses and not just three

Desaturated possibly two RGB lenses but with the addition or subtraction of other 3 lenses B & W
  • The camera application is not even perfect, and needs to improve and much if it aspires to be something in the section of computational photography on Smartphone.  That is an indisputable fact.  Missing night, macro, or at least a Super professional mode that allows simple and practical camera settings that take advantage of this collection of arachnophobic lenses.