This XDA user found a way to unlock the bootloader. Can anyone verify it?

https://forum.xda-developers.com/nokia-2-1/how-to/guide-how-to-unlock-bootloader-nokia-2-1-t3938089

This XDA user found a way to unlock the bootloader. Can anyone verify it?

https://forum.xda-developers.com/nokia-2-1/how-to/guide-how-to-unlock-bootloader-nokia-2-1-t3938089

This forum post claims to work. Even on the Android 9 update. Has anyone tried this?

Comments

• If this works it'll be huge. We'll finally be able to get the covers root access.
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Hi @Dineth Mallawarachchi, there are two methods available - the one you posted (which works for the 2.1 and the 2V) only the and this one for the 2V only (though @hikari calyx calls it the 2.1V, HMD call it the 2V even though it is basically identical to the 2.1 so Hikari's name is correct!):  https://forum.xda-developers.com/nokia-2-1/how-to/nb1-collision-how-to-unlock-bootloader-t3938072
    The best place to discuss these is on XDA so that all info can be kept in the same place. But please report back here if you had success!
    Good luck!
    Cheers :)
  • hikari calyx hikari calyx
    ✭✭  / 
    Looks like there are still many things I need to work on to make this guide much more compatible.

During this time, I can still provide paid method to unlock it.
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Hi @hikari calyx thanks for popping in to update us on this guide. It's good to have lots of options, thanks for sharing some of them publicly.
  • ConStip ConStip
     / 
    So where is the paid version? Am ride sharing and stupidly bought this phone as has a nice screen...it is so slow under powered that I miss half the jobs plus the screen doesn't register the touch...desperate to root so can speed it up
  • ConStip ConStip
     / 
    Also read that guide...couldn't understand it was not clear
  • ConStip ConStip
     / 
    Don't think this root guy is on the level just wants money
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Well he's not selling a root solution, it's a bootloader unlock solution. I don't want to promote it because that's not appropriate, mainly because I haven't used it. However, "this root guy" is on the level, he's been hacking Nokias for years and helping people out, there's no need to question that.
    Best of luck with your taxi service ;)
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Anyhow for the clarification sake, this method DOES NOT work. The commercial bootloader in Pie does not support dm-verity. And even if it did (Oreo service bootloader), AFAIK, the dm-verity does not attain a permission high enough to enable fih and modify the devlock value.
    Tested it on a 2V and it is not functional in Pie at least. Tested with old bootloader, it takes the dm-verity and I can flash the service bootloader but that's it. Wasn't able to go any further. I do not think I did anything wrong, but maybe I did?
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Thanks for the clarification @singhnsk. Did you feed this back to @hikari calyx in XDA?
    ✭✭  / 
    Received.
    For paid method, I've made it available on my website.
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    I can see on XDA that you edited the post but as I can't see the edit history I don't know what you changed. There are two "Updates", one say that the procedure is also applicable on 2.1V and the other says NB1-collision is the only way to unlock. Which is the latest? Anyway, maybe we should ask for this thread to be closed to avoid anyone being misled about this method.

✭✭  / 
    madbilly said:
    I can see on XDA that you edited the post but as I can't see the edit history I don't know what you changed. There are two "Updates", one say that the procedure is also applicable on 2.1V and the other says NB1-collision is the only way to unlock. Which is the latest? Anyway, maybe we should ask for this thread to be closed to avoid anyone being misled about this method.

Second one.
    NB1-Collision will work on both E2M and EVW because of common bootloader sources.
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Thanks for the clarification.