HMD will store all device data from Nokia phones at a Google Cloud facility in Finland

" HMD Global came under intense pressure earlier this year after it was discovered that a few Nokia 7 Plus units "mistakenly" sent device data to China.

HMD will store all device data from Nokia phones at a Google Cloud facility in Finland

adonesc76 adonesc76
✭✭  / 
" HMD Global came under intense pressure earlier this year after it was discovered that a few Nokia 7 Plus units "mistakenly" sent device data to China. HMD has apologised for the error, and is now taking measures to ensure it doesn't happen again...This move also ensures that the data collected by Nokia devices will be covered by EU data privacy guidelines under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)..."

So that is the main idea of the news I've seen today in regards to HMD Global and it's Nokia handsets. My question is will the Nokia 7.1 be covered by this move? And will the GDPR protections cover only European customers or will it extend to the data of customers from other regions throughout the world?

This would be a welcomed move in terms of privacy and data protection.

Comments

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    The link you put isn't working. The official press release is fairly clear: https://www.hmdglobal.com/press-releases/hmd-global-cgi-and-google-cloud-in-partnership

The first Nokia smartphones to begin storing data to the new centre will be new Nokia smartphones starting from the Nokia 4.2, Nokia 3.2 and the Nokia 2.2, with data from earlier Nokia smartphone models* being migrated to Hamina after the Android Q update starting later this year and completed in 2020.
    *When eligible Nokia smartphones upgrade to Android Q their data will be moved to Hamina, Finland.

This means that first generation phone models, the Nokia 2, Android Go models and maybe some others may not have their data migrated to Finland, it will stay in Singapore. Since the 7.1 is eligible for Q then your data should get moved to Finland.
    Cheers :)

• PRIMAL TECH PRIMAL TECH
    ✭✭  / 
    First China stealing data and now whole Europe
  • MatteBlacke MatteBlacke
    ✭✭✭  / 
    First China stealing data and now whole Europe
    What do you mean? The server's there comply with europe's GDPR laws which makes them secure.
    Read the press release, They specifically state this enhances the privacy and data collection practices are being compliant with GDPR
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    It's not necessary for a server to be in Europe for it to be compliant with GDPR. There are servers all around the world which store data on European citizens and residents and most are compliant with GDPR (or rather the processes of those companies are compliant). Having a server in the EU makes it easier to comply, because one of the conditions is that customers are informed when their data is moved outside of Europe; it's just one extra condition, but it doesn't mean it's not compliant to have a data centre outside Europe.
    The real questions are
    • Which country do you trust more with your data: Finland or Singapore?
    • Which company do you trust more with your data: Google or Amazon?
    Anyway, it's not like we have a choice :D
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    madbilly said:
    The real questions are
    • Which country do you trust more with your data: Finland or Singapore?
    • Which company do you trust more with your data: Google or Amazon?
    Anyway, it's not like we have a choice :D
    I'd choose Finland and Amazon. But if I had a choice, I'd choose HMD's own server to store the data. It is not too hard for a company to maintain a small datacenter.
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    I fully agree, I would prefer that HMD did not outsource handling of my personal data. But HMD's model seems to be to outsource as much as possible and maintain very little internal cost, only having internal cost where it adds value to the business (which I can understand).