8.1 bootloader unlock method - "NB1-Collision"

Hi all, I don't know if this has been posted here before, but I'm sharing it for info.

8.1 bootloader unlock method - "NB1-Collision"

madbilly madbilly
✭✭✭✭  / 
Hi all,
I don't know if this has been posted here before, but I'm sharing it for info. Many of you may be aware of @hikari calyx, tech wizard extraordinaire for Nokia phones over the years. They have developed many methods for unlocking the bootloaders of many of HMD's phones and has decided to make available an alternative (and not straightforward, potentially risky) method for unlocking the bootloader of the 8.1. You can find it here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/nokia-8-1/how-to/nb1-collision-how-to-unlock-bootloader-t3935688
If you try it, then make sure you know what you're doing and contribute to the discussion on XDA.
Good luck!
Cheers :)
Tagged:

Comments

• GTR12 GTR12
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Version 1, no thanks. 
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    GTR12 said:
    Version 1, no thanks. 
    I don't understand what you mean by that comment unfortunately.
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Hi @madbilly honestly speaking, going by this community and it's user base, there's no point recommending a guide on this community which involves such a significant risk and demands a disasssembly of the device so as to trigger the EDL mode.
  • GTR12 GTR12
    ✭✭✭  / 
    madbilly said:
    GTR12 said:
    Version 1, no thanks. 
    I don't understand what you mean by that comment unfortunately.
    Its the first version of something, almost like an alpha/beta release, it could have bugs that haven't been discovered yet. 

It's like the Android Q beta, I don't run it on my main phone because it could get bricked. 
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Hi @GTR12, thanks, I get your point now. You mean this method for unlocking the 8.1 is a first version? I'm not sure that's 100% correct, but it's a reasonably point. I'm sure that @hikari calyx has tested this properly with at least one 8.1 and maybe an X7 as well. There is also another method which you can pay for, which they have not published. AFAIK this other method works well and is simpler than this "NB1-Collision" method.
  • GTR12 GTR12
    ✭✭✭  / 
    madbilly said:
    Hi @GTR12, thanks, I get your point now. You mean this method for unlocking the 8.1 is a first version? I'm not sure that's 100% correct, but it's a reasonably point. I'm sure that @hikari calyx has tested this properly with at least one 8.1 and maybe an X7 as well. There is also another method which you can pay for, which they have not published. AFAIK this other method works well and is simpler than this "NB1-Collision" method.
    He may have tested it, but he's the developer, he knows exactly what he is doing and won't make mistakes. 

I or anyone could make a minor mistake or misread the instructions that would brick our devices I still have 12 months left on my warranty and attempting this voids my warranty.