Image retention is a software problem!

Yup I can say this for sure!  My Nokia 8 suffered from severe image retention from the past 6months A few mins of usage and everything from previous page starts appearing like Google logo, texts even guns in pubg!

Image retention is a software problem!

Karthiks Karthiks
✭✭  / 
Yup I can say this for sure! 
My Nokia 8 suffered from severe image retention from the past 6months
A few mins of usage and everything from previous page starts appearing like Google logo, texts even guns in pubg!
But I've been searching this forum for a solution and somebody posted a workaround - downloading Twilight app and setting intensity at 0% and screen dim at 5%
This actually solved my problem! 
The image retention stopped completely from the past 1 month and the display looks awesome now!!
The only drawback is this app needs permission to display over other apps and that'll stop you from using Google pay.  Disabling it in notification bar quickly to complete payments and giving it permission again is the only option. A few times after using Gpay I forgot to give necessary permission to the app and the image retention used to comeback in a few mins!
This is a pure software problem.
This display could reach 700nits of brightness and they couldn't calibrate it properly!!
Hmd could easily solve this with an update but they won't or they can't! 
I feel sorry for Nokia because HMD will ruin the reputation

Tagged:

Comments

• user389 user389
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    It's good to know you found a workaround but your conclusion is not correct.
    - There is no image retention on my Nokia 8 TA-1012 after a year of everyday use, hot, cold, wet, dry, outdoors on a sunny day or indoors at night.
    Maybe I got a screen from a 'good batch' ...
    --
    Hans
  • Mick1965 Mick1965
    ✭✭✭  / 
    There's no image retention on my screen either, with normal use for 18 months now.
    Just letting auto brightness do its thing.
    Screen seems as good now as it was on day one.

• potemkin_redux potemkin_redux
    ✭✭✭  /  edited July 2019
    It's a hardware issue BUT it's obvious that if it can be mitigated by a 3rd party app, it sure can be solved with some clever firmware programming. Same goes for clicking sounds at the beginning of audio & video recordings. Sadly, except for providing timely security patches, HMD was never really interested in supporting Nokia 8, not 18 months ago and especially not today.
  • ignas ignas
    ✭✭✭  / 
    You're just limiting how much light each pixel lets through at the top end as that's where the problem seems to come from. It's still a hardware problem, it can just be mitigated by software. 
  • user389 user389
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited July 2019
    Defects in material and workmanship is to be handled by the manufacturer's warranty or at the point of sale.
    The Internet cannot know how common this or other hardware failure is. Users can make a lot of noise even if it affects less than 1% of devices sold - since most people only write here if they've got a problem.
    @potemkin_redux ,
    Why your continuous negativity?
    It's not helpful for anybody.
    --
    Hans
    ✭✭✭  /  edited July 2019
    user389 said:
    @potemkin_redux ,
    Why your continuous negativity?
    It's not helpful for anybody.
    Because we've being lied to by HMD for last 18 months and they broke numerous promises. Their flagship phone was and still is less dependable than average mid-range phone. You don't like my negativity? Well, try and get HMD to finally explain what's behind all those clicking sounds, random restarts, failed displays, ridiculous camera app etc.
  • user1508938037450 user1508938037450
    ✭✭✭  / 
    It seems, it is one of many hardware-problems of "new" Nokia 8's.
    I bought my 8 in Octobre 2017, and it has not one of the hardware-probems as other users here. SW-problems about/ over thr year and especially the terrible camera-app/ software, yes, but not with the hardware. I hope, that will be not changed. I have to wait for months for the possibilty to buy a new smartphone. But, not a "Nokia"

• Mohammed.FR Mohammed.FR
    ✭✭  / 
    I have the same problem
  • gaurang patkar gaurang patkar
    ✭✭  / 
    Image retaintion is caused due to faulty port made by Google.
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Image retaintion is caused due to faulty port made by Google.
    What kind of port? Google is not producing any kind of internal hardware components as far as I know.
  • Even I face image detention (ghost 👻 screen). I think it can't be solved.