Nokia 2 users deserves better than that - Page 2

Since It's odd to see HMD not making the boot loaders to be unlocked when companies like Mi,Sony,OnePlus(T-Mobile) are offering secured boot loader unlock to the users whose device rooting status is ready for unlock,HMD although gave a trail on Nokia 8 but since these developers are not so interested to make further improvements and provide Boot loader unlock,making the users depend on others to make huge revert to previous OS to July 2018 or older and doing such risky work on the devices which is not a good suggestive thing More over when the Nokia has started it's second chapter with HMD ,everyone has gave their best to keep the brand in top positions but since it's now 2 years 3 months ,what new is only device launch,No Beta Builds,No Recovery Tools and No improvement in Boot Loader Unlock.

Nokia 2 users deserves better than that

Comments

• user1520881638007 user1520881638007
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Since It's odd to see HMD not making the boot loaders to be unlocked when companies like Mi,Sony,OnePlus(T-Mobile) are offering secured boot loader unlock to the users whose device rooting status is ready for unlock,HMD although gave a trail on Nokia 8 but since these developers are not so interested to make further improvements and provide Boot loader unlock,making the users depend on others to make huge revert to previous OS to July 2018 or older and doing such risky work on the devices which is not a good suggestive thing

More over when the Nokia has started it's second chapter with HMD ,everyone has gave their best to keep the brand in top positions but since it's now 2 years 3 months ,what new is only device launch,No Beta Builds,No Recovery Tools and No improvement in Boot Loader Unlock.
    HMD need to get things to be changed in all these aspects
  • madbilly madbilly
    Super User  /  edited July 2019
    Hi @singhnsk thanks the explanation, I'm pretty surprised (and disappointed) that none of the Nokia news sites could give should a clear explanation (or even mention it at all). As I'm sure you know, security through obscurity is not a good security strategy and the Nokia news sites should not think they are supporting HMD if they keep quiet about these things. Off topic:
    So FIH built Nokias can have their bootloader unlocked iff they can be downgraded to older firmware. What about those models which were released after August 2018?
    @UpdateNokia2 please excuse me but I didn't follow what you wrote. We're not hiding anything? Or were you refering to HMD? You would pay @HMD Global extra for an official bootloader unlock solution? I'm sure they would be very happy to hear that!
    What kind of payload can you fit the in the space for a key? How many bits is the key? Are they using 1024 bit yet?! Even that's only 128 bytes, so it would be quite tricky... and nothing will read that space except something that's looking for a key, so it will only ever be treated as a key not as anything else... so if the key space is larger than the expected key then you could potentially cause a buffer overflow if for some reason the programme which is looking for the key reads in too many bytes. That's the only way I can see how you can do a hack this way, but the I'm not a computer security expert ;)
    Cheers :)
  • UpdateNokia2 UpdateNokia2
    ✭✭✭  / 
    madbilly said:
    Hi @singhnsk thanks the explanation, I'm pretty surprised (and disappointed) that none of the Nokia news sites could give should a clear explanation (or even mention it at all). As I'm sure you know, security through obscurity is not a good security strategy and the Nokia news sites should not think they are supporting HMD if they keep quiet about these things. Off topic:
    So FIH built Nokias can have their bootloader unlocked iff they can be downgraded to older firmware. What about those models which were released after August 2018?
    @UpdateNokia2 please excuse me but I didn't follow what you wrote. We're not hiding anything? Or were you refering to HMD? You would pay @HMD Global extra for an official bootloader unlock solution? I'm sure they would be very happy to hear that!
    What kind of payload can you fit the in the space for a key? How many bits is the key? Are they using 1024 bit yet?! Even that's only 128 bytes, so it would be quite tricky... and nothing will read that space except something that's looking for a key, so it will only ever be treated as a key not as anything else... so if the key space is larger than the expected key then you could potentially cause a buffer overflow if for some reason the programme which is looking for the key reads in too many bytes. That's the only way I can see how you can do a hack this way, but the I'm not a computer security expert ;)
    I would like you to look at framework called metasploit that's all I can say , 
  • UpdateNokia2 UpdateNokia2
    ✭✭✭  / 
    For the key **** no I would not pay hmd either because they should allow the key for free I have paid the damn phone and they have failed with it so they have no rights to ask for money 
  • Gustnado Gustnado
    ✭✭✭  / 
    See my point is when HMD failed to upgrade further OS updates to Nokia 2 device , then they don't deserve a single penny from us. We want our money back or unlock bootloader free of cost. We aren't need explanation unnecessary.
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    Super User  / 
    @madbilly for the phones which never had a old version, the different method used was based off commands which FIH left in the service bootloader (for its own internal use as they never expected others would know them or any retail customer be using service bootloader). They are same as the Nokia 2.1 unlock we talked about. Just that you grant all permissions using their official flash tool - OST LA.

@UpdateNokia2 I agree. We've been trying for so long that HMD starts offering bootloader unlocks. But they just don't care at all. The unofficial one is paid one because whoever discovered this wants to make money and I can't say that's wrong. He is all allowed to charge for his efforts or discovery. So, that's it.
    We can shout against HMD not releasing official unlocks, but we can't shout against somebody else releasing paid unlocks because at least we got something.

• user1520881638007 user1520881638007
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    People work are sometimes be greatly appreciated for what the user has discovered and yes as a part of hard work it's own thing for selling the key at some cost,but since is also must be noted that for what purpose the work is done must be a Good Will not like taking this as advantage for the things you made discover 

Since Android is open source and it's not like Windows or iOS that have closed source and most of the user may not stick to the companies policies on System updates or Features and want to be like a very own customized OS for their requirement and that's where only few companies are came forward respecting the users interest towards making their very own Android OS and it's open thing that when they want the users boot loader to be unlocked then it's sure that he must sign an agreement that once unlocked it may not cover under companies T&C at any cost,when there are such transparency are made available then why still HMD step backward on the Boot loader program and making then to depend upon the unofficial methods?

Even it's true that every Independent Person capable of unlocking also make a note of this if any thing goes wrong the user is only the person to take whole responsible not the provider who does unlocking as it is not under his cover while the user purchase the key or something from his store.So it's better that HMD must allow the Boot loader unlock and let the user make the device as per his needs or something he wants.
  • madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 
    Hi @singhnsk the stock firmware doesn't include the service bootloader does it?! Or is that used within OSTLA?
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    Super User  / 
    madbilly said:
    Hi @singhnsk the stock firmware doesn't include the service bootloader does it?! Or is that used within OSTLA?
    The commercial bootloader is shipped with the devices to end consumers. All FIH software packages will have a service loader included, because their commercial bootloader is pretty pale. So, all actions of OST are done under service bootloader. What OST LA does is that first of all it uses dm-veracity solution to flash the service bootloader, does all the required flashing and other tasks (Erasing FRP, erasing userdata, flashing a different SUT firmware; Changes to IMEI, MEID, SKU, MAC address, SIM unlock or other modifications - these all are based on levels. The normal service point accounts do not have permission to do anything other than flashing stock firmware). Then once the job is complete, it once again flashes the commercial bootloader before finishing the flashing and doing a reboot. FIH did improve the new devices and the firmware for 8.1 and 9PV have much less supported commands even with service bootloader. Which means no more unlocks the same way and NB1-collision will be the only possibility.

The service bootloader is not a part of the new firmware packages used by HMD (Nokia 2.2, 3.2, 4.2 and more to come in the future :D ). Now the retail firmware handles all flashing jobs which also means that we have lesser possibilities of tinkering lol
  • madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 
    Thanks @singhnsk for the explanation! :smiley: I know that was going off topic but thanks to everyone for indulging my curiosity.