Is Nokia 9 PureView no longer compatible with Google ARCore?

(Image) This night, I searched Google ARCore on play store using my Nokia 9 PureView but couldn't find it and when I searched the app on Google and tried downloading it from chrome, the information captured on the screenshot which disclosed that the Nokia flagship device no longer support the app popped up.

Is Nokia 9 PureView no longer compatible with Google ARCore?

Conqueror Conqueror
✭✭✭  / 
This night, I searched Google ARCore on play store using my Nokia 9 PureView but couldn't find it and when I searched the app on Google and tried downloading it from chrome, the information captured on the screenshot which disclosed that the Nokia flagship device no longer support the app popped up. Can Laura please explain what happened. 

Comments

• vviskari vviskari
    ✭✭  / 
    It never was supported. We are still waiting.
  • Maxstr Maxstr
    ✭✭  / 
    No word from HMD on this. I'm not not sure if it's waiting on Google for verification, or HMD never bothered to enable support 
  • Rasd Rasd
    ✭✭  / 
    Yeah. I'd love to have it, or at least to know for sure if it will come. I didn't expect this model not to have it with such hardware specs.
  • van der Ploeg van der Ploeg
    ✭✭  / 
    This is because ARCore demands HDR and our devices don't expose that properly.

If you install ARCore, it gives you the image upside down and at least for Pokémon GO... it does not work. 
  • BitacoraBombero_Burnout BitacoraBombero_Burnout
    ✭✭  /  edited July 26
    Dispositivos soportados

HMD Global Nokia 6 (2018) También conocido como Nokia 6.1
    Nokia 6.1 Plus
    Nokia 7 Plus
    Nokia 7.1
    Nokia 8 requiere Android 8.0 o posterior.
    Nokia 8 Sirocco
    Nokia 8.1

ARCore uses the phone's camera to identify different points, and monitors them to record how they move. In this way, it is possible to determine both the position and the orientation of the telephone.

Nokia 9 PV has a ToF sensor and as we know from Google's own support page, the "old" models of HDM Global, if they are compatible while its "best terminal" the Nokia 9 PV "is not"
    Paradoxically, in Apple's competition, iPhone with iOS are also compatible

It gives me that the problem is the sensor or coprocessor of the Nokia 9 PV Light l16 camera that is not adapted (Like other faults) or is not used to 100% of its potential
  • youhippy youhippy
    ✭✭  / 
    Very frustrating that all the phones below the 9PV can support ARCore. 
    (Yes, I only want to use ARCore for PokemonGo.)

• stetre76 stetre76
    ✭✭  / 
    youhippy said:

Hmm, not sure we're taking about the same, but I have no problem using AR in Pokemon GO 
    While catching a pokemon I can switch to AR and it works flawlessly...
  • Maxstr Maxstr
    ✭✭  / 
    stetre76 said:
    youhippy said:

Hmm, not sure we're taking about the same, but I have no problem using AR in Pokemon GO 
    Nokia 9 right? Has the AR always worked for you? 
  • Maxstr Maxstr
    ✭✭  / 
    Don't forget, we may be missing out on Minecraft World, too! 
  • youhippy youhippy
    ✭✭  / 
    stetre76 said:
    youhippy said:

AR +
  • TimoF TimoF
    ✭✭  / 
    Has anybody tried to get google maps live view working?

• Rasd Rasd
    ✭✭  / 
    stetre76 said:
    youhippy said:

Pokemon GO doesn't always use ARCore. It can work without it with its own implementation of AR. This doesn't mean it's ARCore is enabled. Try something like Sketchfab with AR preview to verify it. 

With ARCore enabled Pokemon GO would work much better on AR mode.
  • Rasd Rasd
    ✭✭  / 
    I still think this is really poor behaviour from HMD. Not only the didn't provide ARCore support for such a piece of hardware, but they also refuse any help or information on implementation plans (or even if they are planning to work on it). 
  • Riccardo 008 Riccardo 008
    ✭✭  / 
    it is now 99% sure that Nokia 9 Preview will never support Google Play services for AR Officially.
  • Rasd Rasd
    ✭✭  /  edited September 29
    it is now 99% sure that Nokia 9 Preview will never support Google Play services for AR Officially.
    Could you elaborate? Is that from certain source, or is it just your general feeling, because of HMD ignoring the issue or never mentioning anything around it?

Because the issue of rotated image doesn't seem complicated from the technical point of view and should be fixable by a little bit of code from HMD and/or Google. I don't see why it wouldn't be ever fixed if that's the only problem with it.
  • Riccardo 008 Riccardo 008
    ✭✭  / 
    It's my feeling. I think the nokia 9 Pureview will never receive official support for AR core, maybe we might think XDA but I think it won't happen.

Too much time has passed since the release of this device and the certification has never arrived.

If you go to the AR Core site to see the list of compatible devices only a few nokia will support it the others simply do not support it and I think Nokia 9 does this end.
  • MarcVI MarcVI
    ✭✭  / 
    Just had a chat conversation with support.
    What a joke.
    The first person had no clue what ARCore stands for. In the end I should clear my Google Play cache and data and try 
    She suggested to exchange my phone for a model that is supported.
    Another person joined the chat and we are now so far that they will pass it on to their developers.
  • MarcVI MarcVI
    ✭✭  / 
    Aha! News!
    ARCore uses the phone's camera to identify different points, and monitors them to record how they move. In this way, it is possible to determine both the position and the orientation of the telephone.

Nokia 9 PV has a ToF sensor and as we know from Google's own support page, the "old" models of HDM Global, if they are compatible while its "best terminal" the Nokia 9 PV "is not"
    Paradoxically, in Apple's competition, iPhone with iOS are also compatible

It gives me that the problem is the sensor or coprocessor of the Nokia 9 PV Light l16 camera that is not adapted (Like other faults) or is not used to 100% of its potential
    Unquote
  • youhippy youhippy
    ✭✭  / 
    Do we think there will be an update for this later on? I know it took them a while to support Nokia 8.
  • Rasd Rasd
    ✭✭  /  edited October 2
    youhippy said:
    Do we think there will be an update for this later on? I know it took them a while to support Nokia 8.
    I hope so, however, we have absolutely no information. Neither from HMD or from Google. While the issue reported on the ARCore (inverted AR image) doesn't seem to be the feature killer, there is nothing that would suggest it will be or won't be fixed as both HMD and Google are avoiding direct response.

Judging by the sheer device age, I think Nokia 8 already had support at this point (we are well over 6 months after the release of PV 9). 

Unfortunately, Nokia PV9 is a high end, relatively pricey device, which means the user base is small and we have not enough voice strength to force HMD to give us an honest response. The only thing I got from the support was dodges around the answer. And those were well-thought dodges to trick me into thinking one way or the other, but with no declaration from HMD whatsoever. Mostly because the support team doesn't know it and/or has an absolute ban for sharing information about it. Which doesn't bode well for this "newest technologies-packed" device.

I say just push the support, keep this topic going and bother them on twitter until someone gives us something.

For now, it is (and I'll repeat that on every occasion) an example of terrible customer support. Once you paid, you get nothing. Not even acknowledge. Shame on you, HMD.
  • youhippy youhippy
    ✭✭  / 
    Indeed. It's very difficult to support a brand you used to love, when they don't offer any updates.
  • Maxstr Maxstr
    ✭✭  / 
    I wonder if the 9.1 Pureview will support it, though 
  • youhippy youhippy
    ✭✭  / 
    All I want to do is to be able to use AR+ on Pokemon Go and take nice pokemon photos with my dog. Is that too much to ask for!?
  • Rasd Rasd
    ✭✭  / 
    youhippy said:
    All I want to do is to be able to use AR+ on Pokemon Go and take nice pokemon photos with my dog. Is that too much to ask for!?
    Well, Pokemon GO already has AR, because they can work without native support ;) It doesn't mean it has ARCore support, but PGO will work in AR mode as they have software simulation (tested on my model with AR mode during a fight, I don't know if that's what you've got in your mind). 
  • youhippy youhippy
    ✭✭  / 
    Rasd said:
    youhippy said:
    Well, Pokemon GO already has AR, because they can work without native support ;) It doesn't mean it has ARCore support, but PGO will work in AR mode as they have software simulation (tested on my model with AR mode during a fight, I don't know if that's what you've got in your mind). 
    I'm talking about AR+ though. I want to be able to set my Pokémon in a fixed location. I can use AR but it's moi basico! I want my flagship device to be able to handle these things. 
    The Nokia 8 handled this, so I just assumed their newer and better device would have had it from day one. But no. 5 same-y cameras just makes it harder.
  • Rasd Rasd
    ✭✭  / 
    I didn't know there is any difference in that. But yeah, it should be available in such a piece of hardware. 

BTW, there is an issue on github, where people are requesting ARCore support from google for specific devices. While I don't know if anyone is listening, it won't do any harm if everyone interested also posts there:
    https://github.com/google-ar/arcore-android-sdk/issues/89#issuecomment-543180758