Fan meetups at launch events?

Hi all,I've been wondering for a while about the whole idea of fan meetups in parallel to HMD launch events.

Fan meetups at launch events?

madbilly madbilly
✭✭✭✭  /  edited July 13
Hi all,
I've been wondering for a while about the whole idea of fan meetups in parallel to HMD launch events. Obviously HMD have organised some of these themselves, inviting various lucky people :wink: to attend their events, most notably in Dubai and Barcelona via competitions but also in India and other places like Italy. I've been really lucky, I've attended two of these events and they were both great experiences. It would be great if more people could have these experiences and I'm wondering how we work with HMD to make this happen...
Apart from the big events are the local HMD teams coordinating these, e.g. I think the events in India are organised by the team for India, in particular @dipankar paul, but in Europe is it the Europe marketing team or the agents in each country? If so, how do they do it? Are they doing them as invite only or are they more widely accessible? Are they only contacting their favourite "influencers"? How are they helping people get to these meetups and events? I know that for Dubai and Barcelona HMD paid for flights, accommodation and some other expenses, but this isn't scalable to a larger group of people (at least, I don't think HMD want to spend that much!). Is there any interest in organising larger fan meetups? Will people be willing to pay for their own travel and accommodation? What if they could attend the launch events?
I'm just thinking out loud really. What are your thoughts?
Cheers :)

Comments

• Kartik Gada Kartik Gada
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    madbilly said:
    Hi all,
    I've been wondering for a while about the whole idea of fan meetups in parallel to HMD launch events. Obviously HMD have organised some of these themselves, inviting various lucky people :wink: to attend their events, most notably in Dubai and Barcelona via competitions but also in India and other places like Italy. I've been really lucky, I've attended two of these events and they were both great experiences. It would be great if more people could have these experiences and I'm wondering how we work with HMD to make this happen...
    Apart from the big events are the local HMD teams coordinating these, e.g. I think the events in India are organised by the team for India, in particular @dipankar paul, but in Europe is it the Europe marketing team or the agents in each country? If so, how do they do it? Are they doing them as invite only or are they more widely accessible? Are they only contacting their favourite "influencers"? How are they helping people get to these meetups and events? I know that for Dubai and Barcelona HMD paid for flights, accommodation and some other expenses, but this isn't scalable to a larger group of people (at least, I don't think HMD want to spend that much!). Is there any interest in organising larger fan meetups? Will people be willing to pay for their own travel and accommodation? What if they could attend the launch events?
    I'm just thinking out loud really. What are your thoughts?
    In India, there were monthly meet ups too where fans from a selected city were invited to spend time with Ajey Mehta (India Head). Don't know why they stopped it. I hope they restart these meet ups soon. 😁
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    That's cool, I didn't know they did that in India. Definitely a shame that they stopped doing this, one can only speculate why.
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    madbilly said:
    That's cool, I didn't know they did that in India. Definitely a shame that they stopped doing this, one can only speculate why.
    Yes, they did it. Didn't you see the posts in the community? The last ones were in Jaipur and Mangalore(two cities in two different states of India).

Maybe they are facing some issue or time constraints. Just wishing that they start it again after the rainy season is over. :smile:
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    The announcements in the India section aren't pinned topics on my homepage, unlike the announcements in other sections. I presume this is because the forum team think that people outside India will not be interested in these events.
    @dipankar paul can you tell us why these events in India stopped and if they will restart?
  • luckyjim17 luckyjim17
    ✭✭  / 
    Never seen anything for UK. Casio have things like shopping mail events showing their watch ranges once in a while which seem to draw crowds same with swatch, Nintendo and coke. Nokia obviously doesn’t see the UK as worth it. I’m sure I’ve seen other companies in the past doing similar things like google, nespresso, etc. which all get a lot of interest. If Nokia feel they don’t have the same customer base in the UK maybe they better do something similar to get people to notice.
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Hi @luckyjim17 I don't think HMD have done anything like this anywhere in Europe, maybe nowhere except a few countries in Asia. HMD are a tiny company compared to those others you mention, but doing more local events is probably still possible for them (although I get the impression that they seem to think they have to spend a lot on things to get their message across in marketing - that's must my feeling).
  • luckyjim17 luckyjim17
    ✭✭  / 
    Can’t see why they can’t have a display trailer and have a pop up roadshow one country at a time to get their message across. Could have a trailer in the US, one in Europe, etc. They could also be used as visual displays at mobile conferences as talking points / talking shops to encourage more customers and how retailers on best ways to display Nokia’s. Use them during seasonal times as reminders to customers about the brand and their fun looks, etc. Have them on the edge of music festivals like Glastonbury for advertising and maybe sell a few 106’s as festive phones in combination with a mobile provider, etc.

They could be used really well to get their money’s worth. Hook it up to a Jeep to give the tough but fashionable persona or young and funky vibe. Marketing is expensive but with a few clever ideas they would get the best bang for the buck. NEC Birmingham have a caravan, mobile home and camping show. Have a pop up trailer (like a mini g-shock pop up shop) near people like Jeep would draw a good crowd and maybe a number of sales and get their message out.

loads of possibilities with a pop up shop trailer that can be used in many places and occasions which wouldn’t be too expensive.
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Yes, they used to do something similar in Pakistan. Not roadshows but they had a trailer with banners of Nokia devices which used to go around the city. I saw their video on the internet. In India, where I live there's an yearly festival which lasts for a few days and has many competitions for all age groups. Along with this there's also a fair like thing where local businesses and brands can rent small stalls and then market as well as sell their products for 3 days. On the last day there's also a music concert. The crowd that visits is very huge in number. Maybe Nokia Mobile can sponsor some of those competitiions and also have their own stall there to show as well as sell their products. It would build a brand presence. 😁
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    The idea of a moving roadshow which re-uses the same equipment is a great one, one which @pekka rantala might be interested in before he leaves and his successor takes over. ;) Or maybe @tim.m or @matteo.m can raise it within the marketing team? At the very least I hope that @HMD_Laura sees this and shares it internally.
    Anyway, enough name-dropping/mention-spamming...
    HMD already have the wooden village which they use outside at MWC which I presume is unused for the remaining 51 weeks of the year. Turning this into a moving roadshow would be a great way to make these marketing investments go further.
    I don't know if the same is possible with the setup which is used for their stand inside the main hall at MWC, since this seems like an extension of the main Nokia one. Maybe this is what they will reuse at IFA in Berlin? Anyway, I would hope that this could be reused, somehow.
    Moving these things around outside of the EU might be tricky, but the possibility within the EU should certainly be considered. What they did in Pakistan was also really nice to see the videos of, but I presume this was due to the innovation of the local sales/marketing team and not an initiative from HQ.
    Cheers :smiley:
  • luckyjim17 luckyjim17
    ✭✭  / 
    They could always have a trailer on each continent. Wouldn’t be that much. Get them built locally using a similar design.
  • luckyjim17 luckyjim17
    ✭✭  / 
    Another G-Shock trailer photo that could be viewed for inspiration for a Nokia pop up trailer for roadshows, events, festivals, shows, exhibitions, etc.