Nokia Camera Panorama Mode

Hi guysI'm just wondering if it is normal that Nokia camera app in panorama mode only saves pictures with a resolution of 1080 x 1440 pixel?

Nokia Camera Panorama Mode

Fredson85 Fredson85
✭✭  /  edited July 2019
Hi guys
I'm just wondering if it is normal that Nokia camera app in panorama mode only saves pictures with a resolution of 1080 x 1440 pixel? I did some wide angle shots but given that poor resolution those pictures are pretty useless. It doesn't make a difference holding the phone in portrait or landscape, both ways lead to 1080 x 1440.

I thought the app uses picture stitching and therefore would use the full resolution of the sensor (at least the height, which means 3120 px) minus some crop.
Did Nokia camera always behave this way or is it due to some 'bug fix'? Is there any workaround?
Kind regards
Fredson

Comments

• ignas ignas
    ✭✭✭  / 
    What Google Photos reports as the resolution doesn't seem to be accurate. It's always 1080x1440 no matter how wide it is. I assume it's displaying some sort of thumbnail or something, because once you open it on a PC you do get a higher resolution image. 

THAT SAID from a quick test the panorams seems unable to go above roughly 1440p in height and only gets smaller as you make a wider picture. From a GSMarena review it notes great panoramas "at about 4000px tall" and I have one old pic from the orginal camera app that's something like 11000x5000. So it's likely it was massively gimped with the release of the ""Pro"" update and never fixed. I'll give it a test in daylight.

TL;DR - Gallery reports wrong resolution, images better once you open them up elsewhere, but very likely still worse than what the phone was originally capable of because HMD are muppets.
  • MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited July 2019
    Looking on Google Photos at the panoramic shots taken on my Nokia 8 they are all sorts of resolutions which match the size of the of the originals on my HDD.

• ignas ignas
    ✭✭✭  / 
    mrbelter said:
    Looking on Google Photos at the panoramic shots taken on my Nokia 8 they are all sorts of resolutions which match the size of the of the originals on my HDD.

How about a newer picture? Because I'm getting the resolution as him in Google Photos. Must be something HMD messed up when porting Pie or even more recent than that. Oddly, 6.6 MB at 1080x1440 doesn't add up if the gallery were only pulling thumbnails, it seems to display the proper file size.
  • MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    ignas said:
    mrbelter said:

How about a newer picture? Because I'm getting the resolution as him in Google Photos. Must be something HMD messed up when porting Pie or even more recent than that. Oddly, 6.6 MB at 1080x1440 doesn't add up if the gallery were only pulling thumbnails, it seems to display the proper file size.
    You'll be lucky, it's dead. (that was running Pie BTW, it was 5 days after the beta was launched)
  • Fredson85 Fredson85
    ✭✭  / 
    Thanks for your answers. So unfortunately it seems that this feature has been messed up due some update. :(
  • misterU misterU
    ✭✭✭  / 
    I took a panorama today, specially for this topic and it shows me a resolution of 2432 × 1056. Looks like I'm not affected by this issue (5.150SP01).
  • Fredson85 Fredson85
    ✭✭  / 
    Thanks for your response. My phone (TA-1004) is on build 5.150 SP02.
    Maybe that's the reason while the panorama feature is obviously broken on my phone.
    My camera firmware is:
    V100. 0098.01
    V020.0072.02

Does yours differ?
  • misterU misterU
    ✭✭✭  / 
    I'm on SP02 too. Sorry, it was a typo. Everything is the same
  • user389 user389
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Issue #1: Checking the pixel count and file size of a panorama shot immediately after shooting shows a low value.
    - Check again later for the correct values?
    Issue #2: Panorama shots from HMD's camera app have a lower resolution than it used to a year ago.
    - Let Google Photos auto-create panoramas from a handful of still photos with overlap instead?
    Also please note the result from HMD's camera app are just pictures with odd aspect ratios, not panoramas for Google's VR stuff.
  • Fredson85 Fredson85
    ✭✭  / 
    Hi user389
    Thanks for your answers.

#1: that's not the issue here. It still shows the same small resolution for the picture from my first post.
    #2: How do I create panoramas with google photos? I can't find any option for this. Do I need to enable photo backup to g drive?

Regards
    Fredson
  • user389 user389
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited July 2019
    Fredson85 said:
    [ . . . ]
    #1: that's not the issue here. It still shows the same small resolution for the picture from my first post.
    I'm able to replicate this:
    If the automatic backup in Google Photos is disabled, then the pixel size information for panorama shots taken with HMD's camera app is wrong.
    Notice it's just an informational issue in Google Photos (maybe a timing issue in HMD's camera app / Google Photos). The actual panorama shot is OK.
    Panorama creation in Google Photos is cloud-based, along with its auto creation of animated GIF's (from burst shots) and movie creator etc.
    Photos backup and display of Assistant Cards must be enabled for it to work:
    https://support.google.com/photos/answer/6128811?co=GENIE.Platform=Android&oco=1
    It may take some hours for the cloud processing to complete.
    - The 'high quality, free unlimited' backup option works for me ...
    There are alternatives in the app store if you don't want or don't like Google's auto-stuff. F-Stop Gallery handles photos the traditional, manual way with tags and pictures sorted in nested folders, and Simple Gallery has matured nicely.
    --
    Hans
  • Mick1965 Mick1965
    ✭✭✭  /  edited July 2019
    As above its just GP getting the info wrong
    Load your image into lightroom and use the info option and it will display the correct resolution.
    The vertical resolution is not very high any way.