Introducing Nokia 105 - Page 2

The info graphic makes it look like a cheap child’s toy or something you’d find in a party bag.

Introducing Nokia 105

Comments

• luckyjim17 luckyjim17
    ✭✭  / 
    The info graphic makes it look like a cheap child’s toy or something you’d find in a party bag. Earlier there was an argument about how marketing sells phones?? Dodgy pandas and cartoon horses don’t do it for most markets.
  • Kartik Gada Kartik Gada
    Super User  / 
    The info graphic makes it look like a cheap child’s toy or something you’d find in a party bag. Earlier there was an argument about how marketing sells phones?? Dodgy pandas and cartoon horses don’t do it for most markets.
    Yes, the phone is good to keep in a party bag in case of emergency as the battery can last up to 18 days on standby and ifone's smartphone dies he/she can still use the basic feature phone to stay connected. The use of Panda tells that a phone can withstand the weight which is equal to that of a panda and horse represents the height from which the phone has been drop tested. Come on it is a fun little device and which is marketed in a fun way. So, it is fine. :)
  • madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 
    I think those marketing things are quite fun actually. You can get the phone out and people say "oh, you're not using a smartphone?" and you can say "no because I need a phone which can survive a fall from horseback or when I'm at the zoo with the pandas!". Fun talking points, I like it.
    Cheers :)
  • I wanted a phone for my daughter which is a basic, no cam, no internet, I thought Nokia is good, very unfortunate the basic thing volume is very low, never buy this phone. I would say horribly bad. will not recommend. I called customer care they did not support.
  • Never buy this phone
  • Horrible
  • bad
  • please dont go with nokia
  • luckyjim17 luckyjim17
    ✭✭  / 
    Do all Nokia phones still have the best feature not available on smartphones..... the alarm could be set then turn off the phone..... and the alarm would still ring!

It was a great every day feature that I used all the time until I bought one of the Microsoft Nokia’s (301). Where the phone had to stay on for the alarm work. Other issue was the alarm didn’t work if the phone was on charge. The original Nokia alarms did still work while charging as well. Do the current Nokia’s have the original alarm feature?

I really want to buy a new Nokia to ditch my smartphone but keep finding issues with each model available ( see my discussions for an idea). Biggest reasons for not battering down the door for a new Nokia are poor camera (just ditch it), no messenger model (Nokia Asha 210 please), battery poor (for a feature phone - 14+ days please), not great reactive keys, poor build quality on some. Screen too small one some (1.8 inch - really!), etc. Please take customer usability seriously with your products and I’ll be there.

Oh my Nokia 301 supposed to have a battery life of 7 days (which I thought was pants for a feature phone) but I never got more than 3-4 days even when it was not in use. Got same time even when phone was off (draining battery). The phone looked good but the buttons also lacked response - shame. Sorry for the detour in the thread (got carried away).
  • madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 
    I can't tell you about the keypad phones but the touchscreen phones don't have an alarm which will work if the phone is turned off, unfortunately. I think it's a limitation of the chipset, as far as I know only Huawei support this with their Kirin chipset (from previous discussion on this forum over a year ago).
    Alarm doesn't work whilst battery is charging? Mine does on my Nokia 8 and I assume it does on all the touchscreen phones, but I don't know about the keypad ones.
    Cheers :)
  • f82 f82
    ✭✭  /  edited September 2019
    > @madbilly said:
    > That's interesting, I wonder why they changed the name! (I'm sure that there isn't another OS called Smart Feature OS, they just removed the "Smart" bit!)
    >
    > Cheers :)

Just a final user opinion having tried most features phones out there since ever; the change in names is probably connected to a new change in the main hardware running the phone. These "operating systems" probably lives as much as the main chipset does and choosed to be installed. So when there's a change of the chipset also the operating systems is totally different cause written and optimized mostly for that chip itself.
    Some people ask for S40 o.s. but that o.s. lived as long as the line of cpus lived with it, just like S60 did in their different versions.
    There were few times where the same (or maybe just its GUI) operating system. has been used with totally different main chips.
  • f82 f82
    ✭✭  / 
    > @Kartik Gada said:
    > madbilly said:
    >
    >
    > Smart Feature OS was also used on the 3310 3G model.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Ok, I just found that HMD updated the Spec Sheet of Nokia 220 4G and the OS name is now changed to Feature OS same as on the Nokia 3310 3G which also runs on Feature OS and not Smart Feature OS as we thought. This is powered by Java. 

I may/am probably wrong but I don't think it will be even close to the java based accelerated os of the 3310 3G. As thought before that o.s. were connected to a cpu that it may not most probably be the one of the 220 4G. Also there's something I don't understand about those 16MB or ram that feels like a bit strange for a 2019 4G enabled mobile chipset.
    Super User  / 
    f82 said:
    > @Kartik Gada said:
    > madbilly said:
    >
    >
    > Smart Feature OS was also used on the 3310 3G model.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Ok, I just found that HMD updated the Spec Sheet of Nokia 220 4G and the OS name is now changed to Feature OS same as on the Nokia 3310 3G which also runs on Feature OS and not Smart Feature OS as we thought. This is powered by Java. 

I may/am probably wrong but I don't think it will be even close to the java based accelerated os of the 3310 3G. As thought before that o.s. were connected to a cpu that it may not most probably be the one of the 220 4G. Also there's something I don't understand about those 16MB or ram that feels like a bit strange for a 2019 4G enabled mobile chipset.
    That 16MB part is simple. These are light operating systems just as S40 was. So no need of more ram. S40 could run whatsapp much smoother than It runs on current KaiOS devices with 512MB RAM. 🙂
  • f82 f82
    ✭✭  /  edited September 2019
    > @Kartik Gada said:
    > f82 said:
    >
    >
    > > @Kartik Gada said:
    >
    > > madbilly said:
    >
    > >
    >
    > >
    >
    > > Smart Feature OS was also used on the 3310 3G model.
    >
    > >
    >
    > >
    >
    > >
    >
    > >
    >
    > >
    >
    > > Ok, I just found that HMD updated the Spec Sheet of Nokia 220 4G and the OS name is now changed to Feature OS same as on the Nokia 3310 3G which also runs on Feature OS and not Smart Feature OS as we thought. This is powered by Java. 
    >
    >
    >
    > I may/am probably wrong but I don't think it will be even close to the java based accelerated os of the 3310 3G. As thought before that o.s. were connected to a cpu that it may not most probably be the one of the 220 4G. Also there's something I don't understand about those 16MB or ram that feels like a bit strange for a 2019 4G enabled mobile chipset.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > That 16MB part is simple. These are light operating systems just as S40 was. So no need of more ram. S40 could run whatsapp much smoother than It runs on current KaiOS devices with 512MB RAM. 🙂

I understand but that unofficial specifications thread seems to take that 16MB number more like an internal user space memory and not talking about real RAM. These would make me think just for unrealistic talking, that it could simply be something wrong with this official number, cause 16MB of ram would be expected for a 2011 to 2017 (?) S40/S30+ feature phone processor(s) that are usually released for long time but imagining this one may be a new processor I would imagine it maybe having something like 128MB of ram simply cause it will be used for who know many more years.
    It's not about ultrasimplified whatsupp apps I don't care, more about (let's hope) higher end features; a bit more ram would for example help an high definition camera module to process/move more data from/to/ram/internal memory while running other tasks still in the RAM.
  • Croggy Croggy
    ✭✭  / 

There seems to be a major predictive text bug in the firmware for this phone. When typing in a key combination which could represent multiple words (e.g. "home"/"good"), there is no obvious way to select the desired word. On previous Nokia phones, this could be achieved using the "*" key, but on this phone, the "*" key activates the punctuation/symbol selection menu instead. Unless I'm missing something, this seems to be a pretty major bug/oversight?

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 

Hi @Croggy,

Thanks for sharing! I've not had chance to use the 105 so didn't know about that. Have you asked support directly if there's a way to do what you're trying to do?

Cheers 🙂

• iMestie iMestie
    ✭✭  / 

I can confirm this annoying bug. There is no way to change words while using predictive text. The star key should show symbols when the cursor is out of a word and change the prediction when writing a word. The problem is that it opens the symbols page no matter what, making it impossible for the user to go through the words list. Support doesn't help. Take note of this for any future phones, please!

Is there any way we could update this phone by ourselves, through a PC or something like that? If you'll ever decide to fix this, of course.

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 

Hi @iMestie,

I don't know if you can fix it yourself, you'd need to hack into the software on the phone.

We will have to wait and see if the new 5310 has this bug too.

Cheers 🙂

• mrjimmy2 mrjimmy2
    ✭✭  / 

The fault must be on my sim card because the new nokia 105 also texts gobbledegook, not predictive text, just gibberish, putting up 3 characters for evry 1 I press.

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 

Hi @mrjimmy2,

Weird that this could be a fault with your SIM card. Have you tried another SIM card? Maybe ask support directly as it may be a known issue.

Cheers 🙂

• mbd45 mbd45
    ✭✭  / 

Help, please. I have an old Nokia with speaking alarm. Do the various 105 models have this feature. I bought a 106 model but it does not have this feature, which is very important for me.

• Ssingh Ssingh
    ✭✭  / 

Hi, I have a concern. My 105 came with a suspicious contact called #FUNZONE, which can not be deleted . I worry that my seller has put virus in phone. I wanted to confirm that it is nokia feature and not virus by seller.

Super User  /  edited July 2020

It is not a virus. I am sure it came with your SIM card. Which SIM do you use?

If it is an Airtel SIM then it is their FunZone value added service number.

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 

Hi @Ssingh,

You should contact support directly about that https://www.nokia.com/phones/geo/support

@mbd45, no I don't think the new Nokia feature phones have the speaking alarm.

Cheers 🙂

• Ssingh Ssingh
    ✭✭  / 

Thanks for replying Kartik Gada & madbilly.

The contact number exists without adding any SIM. I tried soft reset too, but the contact number did not get delete.

I will try sending email to https://www.nokia.com/phones/geo/support .

Thanks.

• Kalev Kalev
    ✭✭  / 

Hi guys. Sorry if thread hijacking.

I just bought a Nokia 105. Simple but good enough. I like the long battery life and the flashlight.

I'm disappointed to notice lack of timer. I can set the alarm but find no timer function. Very disappointing because I boil eggs for breakfast and a timer would have been useful.

Any plans to add that functionality?

• f82 f82
    ✭✭  /  edited December 2020

It would be interesting to know which version newer 105 models that are sold in these days have installed as firmware and if there were been any improvements in speed, T9 sms usage and other things that I still find different from the previous model. As seen in the past some models has been released later with newer firmware version, in my country for example the 130 model has been seen later with the File Browser app when the one I got much before didn't have that feature. Both were sold in official local stores.

• bolder bolder
     / 

Is nokia 105 internet free? Is there a GPRS connection in 2019 version? If yes, is 2017 version of Nokia 105 free of GPRS connection?