USB Type-C port faults - this isn't new, we've had them for 2 years!

Hi @Juho and the HMD team, Now I'm back on the grid I see that you've finally acknowledged publicly that there are faults with the USB-C ports on HMD phones:

USB Type-C port faults - this isn't new, we've had them for 2 years!

madbilly madbilly
✭✭✭✭  / 
Hi @Juho and the HMD team,
Now I'm back on the grid I see that you've finally acknowledged publicly that there are faults with the USB-C ports on HMD phones: :+1:
However, it's very disappointing that you only just make a statement about this now. :-1: 
Saying on twitter that "We've seen a few similar incidents" doesn't really do the issue justice - these are not a few isolated incidents, people have been talking about this for a long time here on the forum and elsewhere. There has clearly been a systematic design or manufacturing fault with the USB-C modules which you have been putting on phones since mid-2017 until at least late 2018... or maybe the fault still exists in the 8.1 and later phones?
Can you say more about this?
  • When was the design changed and which new phones should not suffer from this?
  • Will repaired phones have an improved USB-C port or the same as originally (in which case they may have the problem again)?
  • Why are repair centres claiming that some faults are due to abuse when it is well known that the ports are weak?
  • Since this is clearly a latent defect, present in many models with a USB-C port. Will you still repair these phones outside of the warranty period? In some countries you will have to, e.g. in most (all?) of the EU, since latent defects must be repaired even outside of warranty. Can you say that customers will not be ignored by the service centres when making these claims?
It's good that you address this now, but what you should really have been doing is addressing it for the past year or so, here on the forum. It really would not be difficult to have someone monitor the new posts and whenever someone posts about this problem that someone from HMD steps in and says "This is a known issue, if it happens then please send to the service centre for repair."
Thanks for reading (if you did ;)).
Cheers :)

Comments

• Himanshu1712 Himanshu1712
    ✭✭  / 
    madbilly said:
    Hi @Juho and the HMD team,
    Now I'm back on the grid I see that you've finally acknowledged publicly that there are faults with the USB-C ports on HMD phones: :+1:
    However, it's very disappointing that you only just make a statement about this now. :-1: 
    Saying on twitter that "We've seen a few similar incidents" doesn't really do the issue justice - these are not a few isolated incidents, people have been talking about this for a long time here on the forum and elsewhere. There has clearly been a systematic design or manufacturing fault with the USB-C modules which you have been putting on phones since mid-2017 until at least late 2018... or maybe the fault still exists in the 8.1 and later phones?
    Can you say more about this?
    • When was the design changed and which new phones should not suffer from this?
    • Will repaired phones have an improved USB-C port or the same as originally (in which case they may have the problem again)?
    • Why are repair centres claiming that some faults are due to abuse when it is well known that the ports are weak?
    • Since this is clearly a latent defect, present in many models with a USB-C port. Will you still repair these phones outside of the warranty period? In some countries you will have to, e.g. in most (all?) of the EU, since latent defects must be repaired even outside of warranty. Can you say that customers will not be ignored by the service centres when making these claims?
    It's good that you address this now, but what you should really have been doing is addressing it for the past year or so, here on the forum. It really would not be difficult to have someone monitor the new posts and whenever someone posts about this problem that someone from HMD steps in and says "This is a known issue, if it happens then please send to the service centre for repair."
    Thanks for reading (if you did ;)).
    Cheers :)
    LOL I don't think they have reading skills :D :D