The app killing issues are critical and Nokia will end up like HTC!!!

I have always loved Nokia since my original 3310 and when I heard that HMD Global and Nokia would invest heavily in making phones again I was excited.I got the opportunity to test Nokia 3 as soon as it was released in early 2017 and although it was slow and only a budget model, I saw that there were ambitions to make Nokia great again.

The app killing issues are critical and Nokia will end up like HTC!!!

Draywen Draywen
✭✭  /  edited July 29
I have always loved Nokia since my original 3310 and when I heard that HMD Global and Nokia would invest heavily in making phones again I was excited.
I got the opportunity to test Nokia 3 as soon as it was released in early 2017 and although it was slow and only a budget model, I saw that there were ambitions to make Nokia great again.
I was also exited by the 'Android One Strategy' and I saw a huge potential in that too.

Since then, my family and I have invested heavily in buying 6 different Nokia models.
Nokia 3
Nokia 3.1
Nokia 5.1
Nokia 5.1 Plus
Nokia 6.1
Nokia 8.1

Me and my family members are using Family Locator apps but it is simply NOT POSSIBLE to use such apps on "modern" Nokia phones.
All Nokia phones simply kill such apps in the background after about 24 hours and there is no way to locate other family members and it is especially important for the kids.
All phones are updated to the latest supported Android version.
The Family Locator apps are using the recommended settings:
EXCLUDED from battery optimization, adaptive battery is off. Unrestricted data usage is on.

I have also tried to totally disable (ADB Shell) the following:
com.evenwell.powersaving.g3
com.evenwell.powersaving.g3.overlay.d.base.s600e0
com.evenwell.powersaving.g3.overlay.base
com.evenwell.powersaving.batteryprotect
com.evenwell.powersaving.batteryprotect.overlay.base
com.evenwell.powersaving.batteryprotect.d.base.s600e0
com.evenwell.PowerMonitor
com.evenwell.PowerMonitor.overlay.base

Nothing seems to help. Nothing!
I have tested the Family Locator apps in other phones like Motorola, Honor, Lenovo and it works flawlessly for weeks and month!
I was hoping this issues would be fixed in the latest month but nothing happened, absolutely nothing!
What does Nokia's chief engineer do in the days?

It breaks my heart to experience and say this but if this is not fixed any time soon I will not buy or recommend any another Nokia phone again! My patience is over!  

Can someone at Nokia be kind and shed some light over this?

Comments

• nitin kachare nitin kachare
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited August 14
    Draywen said:
    I have always loved Nokia since my original 3310 and when I heard that HMD Global and Nokia would invest heavily in making phones again I was excited.
    I got the opportunity to test Nokia 3 as soon as it was released in early 2017 and although it was slow and only a budget model, I saw that there were ambitions to make Nokia great again.
    I was also exited by the 'Android One Strategy' and I saw a huge potential in that too.

Since then, my family and I have invested heavily in buying 6 different Nokia models.
    Nokia 3
    Nokia 3.1
    Nokia 5.1
    Nokia 5.1 Plus
    Nokia 6.1
    Nokia 8.1

Me and my family members are using Family Locator apps but it is simply NOT POSSIBLE to use such apps on "modern" Nokia phones.
    All Nokia phones simply kill such apps in the background after about 24 hours and there is no way to locate other family members and it is especially important for the kids.
    EXCLUDED from battery optimization, adaptive battery is off. Unrestricted data usage is on.

I have tested the Family Locator apps in other phones like Motorola, Honor, Lenovo and it works flawlessly for weeks and month!
    I was hoping this issues would be fixed in the latest month but nothing happened, absolutely nothing!

It breaks my heart to experience and say this but if this is not fixed any time soon I will not buy or recommend any another Nokia phone again! My patience is over!  

Which Family Locator application are you using?
    Is it developed by life360?
  • nitin kachare nitin kachare
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Draywen said:

Nokia 3
    Nokia 3.1
    Nokia 5.1
    Nokia 5.1 Plus
    Nokia 6.1
    Nokia 8.1

Look at my screenshot on nokia 8.1 i have set even adaptive battery on still its working in background from 1 hour.
  • Draywen Draywen
    ✭✭  / 
    Hinitin kachare said:
    Draywen said:

Nokia 3
    Nokia 3.1
    Nokia 5.1
    Nokia 5.1 Plus
    Nokia 6.1
    Nokia 8.1

Look at my screenshot on nokia 8.1 i have set even adaptive battery on still its working in background from 1 hour.
    Hi

I'm am using "Find My Friends" but it's developed by the same company as Life 360 (Family Safety Production) and I even think they are intercompatible with each other.
    The Nokia 8.1 works "best" among my Nokia phones but I noticed that if the Locator app is in the background for too long than I don't get notifications about other circle members.
    If I check the app once in a while then it works quite alright but not as good as on a Motorola for example.
    Most of the issues comes if the app is in the background for more than 24 hours.

On my other Nokia models like Nokia 3, Nokia 5.1, Nokia 5.1 Plus or Nokia 6 the app is totally unusable unless the user is actively starting the app at least once every 24 hours!
    Kids are using those phones and if they forget to do that I am not able to locate them and everything just becomes pointless.

Nokia nowadays is just a simple brand among other Chinese brands. 
    I'm very disappointed. Not even the support is able to solve it or give me answers about this issues.
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited August 17
    It is known that the app killer "Duraspeed" is responsible for the app kills on the Mediatek powered phones. And there is no permanent way to stop duraspeed. You can only disable it for one power cycle by using the following ADB command:
    adb shell settings put global setting.duraspeed.enabled 0
    For my Nokia 8.1, the adaptive battery kinda learned it over time. My Amazfit watch app used to get killed, but after I kept re-launching it, again and again, it has kinda started working for infinitely in the background. I did disable battery optimization for it though.

BTW Nokia is already like HTC now. HTC just licnesed its brand to Lava in India. And Nokia has licensed it to HMD Global. Hopefully they will see their flaws and fix them shortly.
  • Draywen Draywen
    ✭✭  / 
    singhnsk said:
    It is known that the app killer "Duraspeed" is responsible for the app kills on the Mediatek powered phones. And there is no permanent way to stop duraspeed. You can only disable it for one power cycle by using the following ADB command:
    adb shell settings put global setting.duraspeed.enabled 0
    For my Nokia 8.1, the adaptive battery kinda learned it over time. My Amazfit watch app used to get killed, but after I kept re-launching it, again and again, it has kinda started working for infinitely in the background. I did disable battery optimization for it though.

BTW Nokia is already like HTC now. HTC just licnesed its brand to Lava in India. And Nokia has licensed it to HMD Global. Hopefully they will see their flaws and fix them shortly.
    HTC's glory days are over. That was my point. 
    They went from being one of the world's coolest and most innovative brands to being one that almost no one care about anymore. HMD global "revived" the brand Nokia but the brand lives because old merits and because people are nostalgic about it. 
    I really want to give Nokia a fair chance, I have 6 different models as in earlier posts, but why are they so obsessed to kill apps?? It's insane!
    Especially when I, as a user, exclude a certain app from battery optimization.
    Nokia treats users like idiots and causes a lot of annoyances.
  • Now there r rumours that Evenwell crap from all Nokia devices will be removed in future , starting Q OTA