Photography Tips with Nokia 9 PureView – Understanding Pro mode - Page 3

Well, just leaving a post asking for a camera software update. You already know a number of things to be corrected.

Photography Tips with Nokia 9 PureView – Understanding Pro mode

Comments

• Well, just leaving a post asking for a camera software update. You already know a number of things to be corrected.

So far, a picture can be incredibly good or just a nightmare... Over exposure is all over the place...

So how long is going to take to make ammendments?

• amaljoe amaljoe
    ✭✭✭  / 

Pro mode settings get reverted if we tap to focus before pressing the shutter, but works fine when the camera focuses on its own. 🤔

• Ianku Ianku
     / 

De ce când se actualizează telefonul nu se mai aude,nu mai aud și nu mă aude la vorbit,trebuie resetat tot timpul sa asi revina

• patroclus99 patroclus99
    ✭✭  / 

When using "auto"-mode a flash is available; but when I use "pro"-mode, a flash doesn't seem available. There is a flash when I tap-focus (like in "auto"), but not when I actually take the photo. I'm not a photography expert, so I'm thinking maybe there's a reason for this. Does "pro"-mode utilize ambient light only?

I do know a professional photographer; she seems to use ambient light sources only. I've never seen her take a flash-photo. Is this the context in which "pro"-mode operates? If so, then I understand the lack of flash operation.

• amaljoe amaljoe
    ✭✭✭  /  edited May 6

Never use 'touch to focus' in pro mode in this phone. It reverts all the settings while hitting capture if you do so. l don't know if they've fixed that issue. the flash option will stay if we set shutter speed and ISO to Auto and only change the white balance or exposure.

• hoc hoc
    ✭✭  / 

For me, what matters simply is : What the actual scene really did look like to my own eyes under whatever the lighting conditions at the time a photo / video was taken. I simply expect the capture device (my phone in this case) to be able to ACCURATELY capture & re-produce whatever i saw...irregardless whether the colours or exposure etc. are 'ideal' or not i.e. say if the actual scene was very dull & depressing then i expect the camera to just show me that & NOT attempt to artificially 'boost up' the colours or exposure to make the objects or scene etc. look brighter or more 'lively' than what it really was.

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 

Hi @hoc,

I agree with you, but that type of smartphone photography seems to be quite rare these days!

Cheers 🙂

• ZenBoy ZenBoy
    ✭✭  / 

I just got my Nokia 9 Pureview last week and it seems like the units manufactured later on are much better than the early ones since I have no problem with the fingerprint nor the camera app (the most I have taken is 5 shots continuously). Coming from the Canon 80d, the image quality (both jpeg and raw) is exquisite in pro mode with depth enabled and I almost always need only 2-3 shots per scene to get the perfect image for Snapneed and Lightroom. Plus I don't think anyone mentions this but the flash on Nokia is ultra bright.

• Kartik Gada Kartik Gada
    Super User  /  edited July 27
    Nokia 9 PureView is underrated camera phone but then it is also the phone that normal consumers won't enjoy using for clicking pictures as the camera app is slow. Whenever I switch to my 7 plus the difference in speed is light and day but then the images taken on 9 PureView are next level.
    I like the images you shared especially the ones with colour pop are amazing. 
    As you said you also have a Canon 80D how do you find the image quality of the Nokia 9 PureView in comparison to the camera? How about a camera comparison between the two? Make a separate thread if you are going to do a camera comparison. :)
  • ZenBoy ZenBoy
    ✭✭  / 

Yes for sure. I will create a separate thread to review the canon 80d vs Nokia 9. I will also add some sample photos raw+jpeg from both (day and night) later when I have time.

• Hi,

Does anyone know what the setting/icon "retouch" in normal photo mode does? As far as I can see the only difference seems to be that with this setting the picture is not treated by the software afterwards. Also the slider at the bottom does not seem to have any effect.

Any help greatly appreciated,

Regards,

James

• amaljoe amaljoe
    ✭✭✭  / 
  • No, (at least I don't think so); in the normal photo mode there is an Icon on top that looks like a brush with a small star next to it. The description just says "Retouch off/on" and then there is a slider at the bottom (which doesn't seem to do enything).

• amaljoe amaljoe
    ✭✭✭  / 

That is the face retouch option. In some models its 'beauty on/off'. Try that slider whenever there is a face in the picture. I think its there to remove spots, make skin look smooth and bright etc...(Oppo kind of stuff 😂).

• -Thanks a lot! I was getting grey hairs over this ;-)

All the best, James