USB-C for audio - do it right - the new XpressMusic

Hi HMD, Since you're now not providing 3.5mm sockets on your top end phones there's an opportunity for you to showcase high quality audio over USB by doing it right.

USB-C for audio - do it right - the new XpressMusic

madbilly madbilly
✭✭✭✭  /  edited July 31
Hi HMD,
Since you're now not providing 3.5mm sockets on your top end phones there's an opportunity for you to showcase high quality audio over USB by doing it right.
To do this, you need to provide digital USB-C headsets in the boxes with these phones. These headsets need to be sufficient quality that they show the benefit of removing the 3.5mm socket.
This headset and the phone both need to support USB audio class 3.0 and be packed with the all the features this spec supports. Don't hold back, really showcase what's possible. Maybe the 9PV and Sirocco are already compliant with audio class 3.0, but the inclusion of the strange 3.5mm adapter with the 9PV suggests otherwise...
The final touch would be to include an adapter which allows wired USB-C charging whilst using wired headset. The lack of a clear standard for this is a problem though.
Put all this together and you can resurrect the XpressMusic brand! I know that's not what XpressMusic was before but history didn't get in the way of the PureView branding reuse did it? ;)
Cheers :)

Comments

  • gaurang patkar gaurang patkar
    ✭✭  / 
    More Colour accurate screen and a ESS quad DAC with a analog jack over Nokia 9 PV would make it quite attractive package.
  • Kartik Gada Kartik Gada
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited August 4
    I like the idea of bringing back XpressMusic but I would still prefer a 3.5mm headphone jack just because it is much comfortable. The 3.5mm connector fits tight in the headphone jack and doesn't move. I feel USB ports are a bit loose and the connector keeps moving even with slight movement. A Nokia 9 PureView successor with PureView and XpressMusic combines sounds like a nice idea but it should have a headphone jack. :)
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Thinking of that, did HMD acquire the XpressMusic trademark yet?
  • Kartik Gada Kartik Gada
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    singhnsk said:
    Thinking of that, did HMD acquire the XpressMusic trademark yet?
    No, they don't have that trademark. They only own trademarks fo ASHA, PureView, Dual-Sight and HMD Global. But they can ask Nokia to allow them to use some Nokia phones related trademarks. But this is a different story and I don't know if HMD will be ready to pay license fees for such smalled trademarks. However, the XpressMusic brand has lots of good memories for many and should be used once again..
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    However, the XpressMusic brand has lots of good memories for many and should be used once again..

    I agree, and for that reason, I'd want it to live it to the expectations of what what it offered at that time and shouldn't be just a re-use of the trademark only for marketing's sake. If it doesn't deliver a similar dedicated music experience, then do not reuse it.
    I'm not at all happy with Nokia 9 sporting the Pureview tag. They could have given it some other xyzview tag since it's not the Pureview we've all loved.
  • Kartik Gada Kartik Gada
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    singhnsk said:
    However, the XpressMusic brand has lots of good memories for many and should be used once again..

    I agree, and for that reason, I'd want it to live it to the expectations of what what it offered at that time and shouldn't be just a re-use of the trademark only for marketing's sake. If it doesn't deliver a similar dedicated music experience, then do not reuse it. 
    Yes, they should use good quality speakers which are loud, the phone should have dedicated music keys, a 3.5mm Headphone Jack and a high-quality DAC, They should not ruin the XpressMusic brand just for marketing sake. If it uses XpressMusic it should stay true to the original and should improve on it :)
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited August 5
    I'd be okay with missing dedicated music keys, BUT HMD should make the software better than the Android One. Like you swipe up from the bottom or some other side and you get exclusive dedicated music manager. Basically, the one in notifications shade moved and accessible at one swipe. And it should support fast forwards, quick equalizier access and be available from all screens (except when a gaming mode is enabled, which SHOULD be made too). More like the Nokia N95's hardware music control slideout happening via software.
    Once again I wanna curse the barebones and innovation-less Android One. Nokia phones deserve much more. A dedicated experience. If they cannot innovate in hardware, they can do leaps in software and tell the world how to make their phones better. But we are here, stuck with Google's barebones OS with no modifications at all. Budget phones are happy with it, flagships have the power to handle much more complex software UIs.

  • Kartik Gada Kartik Gada
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    singhnsk said:
    I'd be okay with missing dedicated music keys, BUT HMD should make the software better than the Android One. Like you swipe up from the bottom or some other side and you get exclusive dedicated music manager. Basically, the one in notifications shade moved and accessible at one swipe. And it should support fast forwards, quick equalizier access and be available from all screens (except when a gaming mode is enabled, which SHOULD be made too). More like the Nokia N95's hardware music control slideout happening via software.
    Once again I wanna curse the barebones and innovation-less Android One. Nokia phones deserve much more. A dedicated experience. If they cannot innovate in hardware, they can do leaps in software and tell the world how to make their phones better. But we are here, stuck with Google's barebones OS with no modifications at all. Budget phones are happy with it, flagships have the power to handle much more complex software UIs.

    I am not sure how will it go as many Android apps use swipe gestures for different actions and that way we can't access the music player using the swipe from any screen. I am all in for the music keys. There is a lot of space to fit them and make the device look cool and different from anything available in the market. 
    Yes, they need to come up with a nice music player and add their own touch to it. This idea can be used in Mid Range devices. They come up with so many phones every few months and including this kind of personal touches can help in attracting buyers. :)
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    @Kartik Gada I do not know of any Android apps which take a bottom to top gesture for any functionality. But I know of OSes which already have functionality in the bottom to top gestures - OnePlus's Hydrogen OS, which replicates IOS. MiUi also has a similar bottom gesture. Yep, the gesture based navigation can interfere, but I'm sure there's a way if there's a will. I'm not happy with Android One and ALL Nokia phones doing the same things, just slightly faster. There's absolute lack of software innovation here.
  • Kartik Gada Kartik Gada
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    singhnsk said:
    @Kartik Gada I do not know of any Android apps which take a bottom to top gesture for any functionality. But I know of OSes which already have functionality in the bottom to top gestures - OnePlus's Hydrogen OS, which replicates IOS. MiUi also has a similar bottom gesture. Yep, the gesture based navigation can interfere, but I'm sure there's a way if there's a will. I'm not happy with Android One and ALL Nokia phones doing the same things, just slightly faster. There's absolute lack of software innovation here.
    I am not sure how will the swipe from bottom gesture work even on OnePlus devices with nav gestures turned on. I haven't tried but you have a OnePlus and you can explain how they made it work if navigation gestures are turned on.
    I think there might be some plans for future devices without Android One (at least for a few devices) as companies do tend to try different things. And if there is such a plan they should implement it faster. :smile:
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    The USB-C port on HMD's phones is wobbly, I agree, but on other devices it's much better. Still, I would prefer high quality DAC internally and a 3.5mm headphone jack because then the DAC can also be used for the four speakers I want them to include!
    Cheers :)


  • singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    @KartikGada Hydrogen OS, I said. My OnePlus runs on Oxygen OS. Hydrogen is for China. So, will need to ask some Chinese person regarding the implementation 🤪
    I do not think HMD is looking for possibilities without Android One since they more or less are getting some royalty from Google. Else, wich smart company uses Google Assistant in their promos? 😂
    Sure they would have protos running regular Android since they also sell them in China where Android One isn't sold.
  • Kartik Gada Kartik Gada
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited August 5
    singhnsk said:
    @KartikGada Hydrogen OS, I said. My OnePlus runs on Oxygen OS. Hydrogen is for China. So, will need to ask some Chinese person regarding the implementation 🤪
    I do not think HMD is looking for possibilities without Android One since they more or less are getting some royalty from Google. Else, wich smart company uses Google Assistant in their promos? 😂
    Sure they would have protos running regular Android since they also sell them in China where Android One isn't sold.
    Oneplus with Oxygen OS doesn't come with a swipe from bottom gesture?

    Maybe but I don't know why would Google care to pay them for marketing their assistant. Google is killing it with their marketing in India. I see so many Google ads on TV about Google Pay, Assistant and what not. They can do it themselves and they don't need HMD for that. For using and pushing Android One on Nokia smartphone they could be paying them but we cannot be 100% sure on that too.
Sign In or Register to comment.