Speculation: Android 10/Q on Nokia 8

Hi all,Before you all flame me for posting yet-another-when-will-I-get-Android-Q topic (you can flame me, but please read first!) I think there is a possibility that it might happen.(Granted, very unlikely given how much HMD has shown that it really wants to improve its devices after launch or beyond what it is required to do).The 8 and 8 Sirocco run the same SoC and the kernel code is the same as far as I know (from XDA people).

Speculation: Android 10/Q on Nokia 8

madbilly madbilly
✭✭✭✭  / 
Hi all,
Before you all flame me for posting yet-another-when-will-I-get-Android-Q topic (you can flame me, but please read first!) I think there is a possibility that it might happen.
(Granted, very unlikely given how much HMD has shown that it really wants to improve its devices after launch or beyond what it is required to do).
The 8 and 8 Sirocco run the same SoC and the kernel code is the same as far as I know (from XDA people). I know that many other hardware components are different, e.g. camera, display, so it may not be straightforward, but if HMD are already going to develop Android 10/Q for the 8 Sirocco then it should not be a big stretch further to make it available for the 8 either.
Even if HMD don't do it themselves, there is the chance that sufficiently technically minded people can meld the additional bits of the firmware from the 8 into the 10/Q firmware for the Sirocco and make a custom ROM that works and can be kept updated using HMD's OTA updates for the Sirocco.
Like I said, this is speculation, but it's possible although not necessarily probable.
What do you think?
Cheers :)

Comments

• Mick1965 Mick1965
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Hmd are already being suffocated by the lack of timely software updates and development.
    Do you think that they will pull the bag further over their heads when they don't need to, especially with the announcement/ rumours of the 8.2 and 9.1.

With that in mind, 1 I really hope not and 2 I really hope not.😆
  • dray78 dray78
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Sure, so it can be more unstable than it already is.

Not everybody with a Nokia 8 suffers an unstable phone. My version is stable but missing some components from the "real" Pie. 

But i don't think there will be Android Q on the Nokia 8. 
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Lots of very good and funny reasons why HMD should not do this! :D I think it's unlikely that HMD will provide Android 10/Q for the Nokia 8, but I wanted to share my thoughts about it anyway.
    My Nokia 8 is also stable, the only really annoying this is that the SD card keeps becoming undetected and eventually corrupted, so I need to try with another one. The other annoyances are due to "improvements" over Android 8, such as the reduction in recent apps shown in the task switcher which I still haven't managed to improve.
    Cheers :smiley:

• Mick1965 Mick1965
    ✭✭✭  /  edited August 1
    The reason I don't want it, is because of the mess they made with the pie update.... Well not so much the mess ( that happens with major updates) but the lack of concern, and communication over the problems, that were out standing for far too long.
    Just some acknowledgement and we are working on it would have helped.

Other than a few niggles, my 8 runs every thing sweet with no real issues now. ( He says holding on to the nearest piece of oak 😁 )

Regarding your sdcard problem, you are not using cheapo slow cards are you?
    Ive got a SanDisk Extreme Pro 64GB tested at over 90 MB/s read and write so deffo genuine ....never had a problem.
    Look out for fakes too.
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    I was using an Integral NMSDX128G10-80/25U1 (U1 speed). Should be good enough shouldn't it? When the phone doesn't detect it I can put it in another device and it will see it fine, then back into the phone and it works again. Then at some point it just becomes corrupt and can't be read by anything except a file recovery application.
    I have a Kingston SDC10G2/64GB (U1 speed) which I will try when I've got the files off it which I want to keep separate. If that doesn't work then it will be dreaded factory reset and re-set everything up :(
  • Mick1965 Mick1965
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Take it that they were purchased from a known outlet.
    Even so, there are so many fakes around, you should always test the speed matches the manufacturers claims, this is why I mentioned the speed above, not that the fakers can't make an identical product looks wise, but very rarely does the performance come any where close.
    Or even capacity, for instance the package and the card itself reads as a 128GB card only to be a 64GB card with a hacked allocation table, so once you try and write above the actual size of the card it has no where physically to put the data so will simply corrupt itself.
    Test them in a PC to see if it will actually hold and read back the specified amount of data at the correct read and write speeds.

Or maybe just gone bad.
  • user1508928527225 user1508928527225
    ✭✭✭  / 
    While I don't think getting the Q is very likely, it would be a nice gesture to alleviate some of the rather less glorious parts of the update history for 8.

Then again, in the worst case I can see us getting a version of Q that is like the initial Pie beta, just without further bug/feature fixes unlike Pie :grin:
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited August 2
    That's a very good point. I bought them from Amazon marketplace, which is probably as bad as Ebay for fakes. I never tested them. I will try as soon as I get chance.
  • martin.fd martin.fd
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited August 14
    Haha ... I started a new thread in the very moment here: https://community.phones.nokia.com/discussion/50989/quarterly-updates
    :p

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Yep, I think that the statement about quarterly updates makes it clear that there will not be another OS update for the 8.
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    No more speculation needed! Anyone who wants Android Q (I will call it that now, regardless of what Google say!) on their Nokia 8 need to help out with the T-Virus project on XDA, or hope that it reaches a successful conclusion :smiley:
  • redskua redskua
    ✭✭✭  / 
    madbilly said:
    Hi all,
    Before you all flame me for posting yet-another-when-will-I-get-Android-Q topic (you can flame me, but please read first!) I think there is a possibility that it might happen.
    (Granted, very unlikely given how much HMD has shown that it really wants to improve its devices after launch or beyond what it is required to do).
    The 8 and 8 Sirocco run the same SoC and the kernel code is the same as far as I know (from XDA people). I know that many other hardware components are different, e.g. camera, display, so it may not be straightforward, but if HMD are already going to develop Android 10/Q for the 8 Sirocco then it should not be a big stretch further to make it available for the 8 either.
    Even if HMD don't do it themselves, there is the chance that sufficiently technically minded people can meld the additional bits of the firmware from the 8 into the 10/Q firmware for the Sirocco and make a custom ROM that works and can be kept updated using HMD's OTA updates for the Sirocco.
    Like I said, this is speculation, but it's possible although not necessarily probable.
    What do you think?
    ,,sadly Billy it ain't gonna happen the N8 has not got a guernsey, the Sirrocco does. From official HMD memo on future updates
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Hi @redskua yes I know, that's why I posted my last post, but I wasn't clear enough - no more speculation needed because HMD have confirmed that the 8 will not get Q.