Video mode: Can HMD provide more focusing modes? Video Pro mode?

Hi everyone, With some of the higher spec Nokias from HMD people have complained about the ability of the camera to focus when filming video.

Video mode: Can HMD provide more focusing modes? Video Pro mode?

madbilly madbilly
✭✭✭✭  / 
Hi everyone,
With some of the higher spec Nokias from HMD people have complained about the ability of the camera to focus when filming video. Sometimes the problem is that the autofocus is hunting around, sometimes its that it's too slow, other times that it seems to just stop working!
I've been reading some articles about some of the older Nokia phones, especially the N8, 808PV and 1020PV. This problem of focus in video has been around for ages and people have often complained about autofocus, so much so that in the N8 Nokia didn't originally have autofocus at all, they used something called "full focus" (I think) which kept everything from ~60cm to infinity in focus. Later they added autofocus only for close-ups. On the 808PV the default was hyperfocal, which has everything from ~30cm to middle distance in focus.
Why can't HMD add these two modes to the camera app for video mode. Let the user choose, like a "pro" mode for video.
To me, this seems like an obvious and easy way to address the autofocus problem.
Cheers :)

Comments

• amal joe amal joe
    ✭✭  /  edited August 3
    Please give the option to lock focus and exposure while recording. Now it adjusts the focus every now and then... even for slowmo. 
    ...and there is no option to pause recording.
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    And before all that happens, a pause button to pause the video being recorded please. I miss it all the time. My OnePlus 3 had it several years ago, I don't get why HMD can't do something so basic as that.
    Meanwhile, I was recently complaining to @Kartik Gada that my phone goes into a focus loop when in lower light. And it manages to record nothing usable at that point. I'd really want that to be addressed somehow.
  • Kartik Gada Kartik Gada
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    singhnsk said:
    And before all that happens, a pause button to pause the video being recorded please. I miss it all the time. My OnePlus 3 had it several years ago, I don't get why HMD can't do something so basic as that.
    Meanwhile, I was recently complaining to @Kartik Gada that my phone goes into a focus loop when in lower light. And it manages to record nothing usable at that point. I'd really want that to be addressed somehow.
    HMD exactly replicated the video mode of the Nokia Camera from Windows Phones. There was no pause button while recording videos on Lumias too.  :P
    They should provide at least a white balance and manual focus slider in the video mode too. This was available on the Nokia Camera app on Windows Phone. This will help users select the focus manually but this could create an issue as there would be no way to manually set the focus once again while the video is being recorded. But this shouldn't be impossible to add with faster processing speed we have now. Another two options which @madbilly mentioned are good but if HMD adds a manual focus slider then they aren't needed but can be useful for average users who don't want to play with the pro mode. :)

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Hi all, great suggestions!
    @Kartik Gada For me, manual focus from the Lumias is a bit too fiddly. I think that the other two options I mentioned are even more user friendly than having manual focus in the currently missing Pro video mode. The user doesn't have to think about the exact point they want to focus on, just that they want to focus on the general area. I'd like to see all four options:
    1. Continuous autofocus
    2. Full manual, adjustable whilst filming
    3. Hyperfocal
    4. Full focus
    Plus the obvious pause button!

• Kartik Gada Kartik Gada
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    madbilly said:
    Hi all, great suggestions!
    @Kartik Gada For me, manual focus from the Lumias is a bit too fiddly. I think that the other two options I mentioned are even more user friendly than having manual focus in the currently missing Pro video mode. The user doesn't have to think about the exact point they want to focus on, just that they want to focus on the general area. I'd like to see all four options:
    1. Continuous autofocus
    2. Full manual, adjustable whilst filming
    3. Hyperfocal
    4. Full focus
    Plus the obvious pause button!

Yes, the other two options are very simple and straightforward for the users to use. No need to fiddle with the manual focusing ring. Just activate one and you are good to go. :)