Wifi still not working, even with latest update and phone reset

Hello, I’m reaching out because I’m pretty hopeless and about to RMA my mom’s phone, but this would be a mess, because she depends on it and I live far away.

Wifi still not working, even with latest update and phone reset

MarTex MarTex
✭✭  / 
Hello,

I’m reaching out because I’m pretty hopeless and about to RMA my mom’s phone, but this would be a mess, because she depends on it and I live far away. Last Christmass I gifted two Nokia 7 Plus to my parents. Unfortunately, one of the phones got stuck with the rather extensively discussed wifi connectivity issues. I tried everything but eventually gave up and my mom was stuck with cell data only, assuming SW updates would fix it.

Now that I’m back to visit and it’s still an issue, I tried to fix it, with no success.

To the point:
  • I progressively updated the phone SW using cell data. Current version: July 2019 (no more updates found)
  • I tried many workarounds found in forums
  • I wiped the phone using recovery mode
  • I reset the phone via Android menu
  • I reconfigured the phone from scratch, with and without associated gmail account
  • I switched the router’s settings betweend “a+b” and “a+b+n” and different channels (FritzBox 7360)

The phone’s behaviour is as follows:
  • Occasionally it “sees” our wifi, but when I type the key, best casse it will shortly show “connecting” before failing, not seeing it anymore and eventually automatically disabling it
  • Other networks are seen randomly, sometimes it sees some, other times many others but not the first, sometimes only 1, etc
  • It even happens in the initial configuraition assitant
  • The other Nokia 7 plus show no issues (anymore). Neither does any other Wifi client.

I’m genuinelly clueless and quite exhausted… any help will be incredibly welcome!

Regards and thanks,

MarTex

Comments

• Naman Agrawal Naman Agrawal
    ✭✭  / 
    Hi Martex,

Send your phone to authorized service centre for replacement
  • MarTex MarTex
    ✭✭  / 
    Hi Martex,

Send your phone to authorized service centre for replacement
    Hi Naman,

Honestly this would really be my last resort, because it wouldn't get solved in the time I'm visiting, my mother is uncapable of setting up the phone, but she depends on it. So I'd even consider buying a new one for my mother, sending the bad one for replacement, and then keeping it for myself once it's fixed. But it would be a pain in the a.

Anyway, I've got the feeling that it's a SW issue and maybe some workaround could get it to work. As I mentioned, this was an extended issue, which somehow used to get fixed either via workarounds, SW updates or resets. In fact, my father's phone also used to have the issue, and now works perfectly.

Furthermore, today a new situation occurred for the first time: Wifi got connected for a short time, I even was able to "slowly" make a google search with it (I disconnected mobile data to make sure it's the wifi doing the job). Now it's dead again, though.

Anyone with some workaround hint please?? o:)