Nokia 2.2 Wi-Fi problem

Hello, I got Nokia 2.2 but it got problems with Wi-Fi, it works good for some time then loses connection for some reason it still show that phone is connected to Wi-Fi just it dont work for like 5mins then starts works again, it does it all time and it's not my router fault internet works fine on pc and on my other phone.

Nokia 2.2 Wi-Fi problem

birthstone birthstone
✭✭  / 
Hello, I got Nokia 2.2 but it got problems with Wi-Fi, it works good for some time then loses connection for some reason it still show that phone is connected to Wi-Fi just it dont work for like 5mins then starts works again, it does it all time and it's not my router fault internet works fine on pc and on my other phone. Should I bring it back to where I bought it from and ask for fix or is there any I can do myself? If anyone know, thanks.

Answers

• A hard reset might fix it
  • birthstone birthstone
    ✭✭  / 
    A hard reset might fix it
    Did it but problem still there
  • Kartik Gada Kartik Gada
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    @singhnsk Do you face such an issue on your Nokia 2.2?

• singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    @KartikGada Sorry but I don't use it as a main device and hence haven't tried constant WiFi networking on it. It works whenever I use it tho.
  • adylanchng adylanchng
    ✭✭  / 
    have you tried on other networks?
  • santoscleto santoscleto
    ✭✭  / 
    I have one of those wifi issues on three (yep 3 of them!) nokia 2.2 I just bought.
    I bought 2 routers tp-link deco M4R (and yes, already tried all kinds of setup combinations and also involved tp-link tech support on this, they also find strange the behaviour I am going to explain next) :
    After unboxing and start the initial setup I noticed straight away disconnects during the setup: wifi shows connected but had no internet access, the downloads would freeze, had to disable/enable the wifi several times during the setup+update process - not good sign but maybe an update would fix it or setup changes.
    The issues remained afterwards on all 3 devices.
    I spent today doing tests and the default ISP router wifi works fine, ONLY with the tp-link deco mesh wifi not: manual connected shows all fine, then start watching a (long, > 20mins for example) youtube app video and just leave it running, after 6-8 minutes the video will stop and issue an error of lack of network, anything that you open that needs to connect to the internet fails, BUT the wifi icon and settings shows connected to the mesh wifi?!
    Tomorrow I will test other networks besides my ISP router and my own tp-link deco's, BUT everything points to a protocol incompatibility between the mesh router wifi and this nokia 2.2. How can this be possible nowadays?!
    Now the other strange thing is that I have a dozen other devices that work fine with the tp-link deco mesh network while all three nokia 2.2 do not (I even reset one fully to test today, just in case and tested it in android secure mode), and when using the ISP wifi, all, inclusive the nokia 2.2 work fine!
    I manage to get tech support of tp-link also involved, maybe they come up with something on their side as well.
    I already tested all combinations of the tp-link wifi (dns changes, WAN changes, LAN changes, disable protocols, etc.), and also all combinations on nokia 2.2 side, ( fixed IPs, manual DNS, etc.), and none of the possible workarounds worked.

Go figure, I was not expecting this at all... now I was also thinking of a nokia 4.2 for me, but I am afraid this also happens to it, so, for all the Nokia android techies there, any ideas how to troubleshoot this or how to get nokia involved to help troubleshoot this?!
  • jdi000 jdi000
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Hello

I noticed the wifi on initial phone startup did not connect the first time and stay connected but was fine after that.  I would recommend factory reset on one phone.

Regards
    Jason
    ✭✭  / 
    > @jdi000 said:
    > I noticed the wifi on initial phone startup did not connect the first time and stay connected but was fine after that.  I would recommend factory reset on one phone.

Already done that on one of the nokias, and while this, sometimes, fixes issues (mostly because it does a wifi/network reset and also removes any bogus app/update installed after initial setup - something I do not recommend anymore because a wifi/network reset can be done separately nowadays) it did/does not work, the issue is still there.

Or this is an incompatibility of protocols between certain routers (mesh stuff) and this nokia 2.2 and/or there is buggy wifi driver on either the router or the nokia 2.2.
    Sadly @birthstone did not mention which router he was connecting to ...
    ✭✭  /  edited October 2
    The tp-link collected a tcpdump run on their deco main router while I was doing the usual network tests (using the nokia 2.2 that was recently hard reset), and while ongoing we were also pinging the device and noticed that each [around] 2 minutes the nokia would not be pingable, becoming pingable again after [around] 2 minutes... I also got a nokia 4.2 and this one connects and stays connected fine, like every other device I connect to the same router except the nokia 2.2's.
    Let's wait for tp-link tcpdump analysis, if this proves to be on the nokia 2.2 software side, is there a way to report this officially to have it fixed asap?
  • jdi000 jdi000
    ✭✭✭  / 
    The tp-link collected a tcpdump run on their deco main router while I was doing the usual network tests (using the nokia 2.2 that was recently hard reset), and while ongoing we were also pinging the device and noticed that each [around] 2 minutes the nokia would not be pingable, becoming pingable again after [around] 2 minutes... I also got a nokia 4.2 and this one connects and stays connected fine, like every other device I connect to the same router except the nokia 2.2's.
    Let's wait for tp-link tcpdump analysis, if this proves to be on the nokia 2.2 software side, is there a way to report this officially to have it fixed asap?
    Send an email to support.  If you have data to share with them 
    ✭✭  /  edited October 10
    Latest feedback from tp-link after analysis of the tcpdump on the router itself:

"We have analyzed the packets and found that your nokia phone has always been connected to Deco Wi-Fi although we can see the ping timeout when the issue happens. We suspect that the issue may be caused by the following reasons:
    1. The wireless interference.
    2. The compatibility issue between your nokia phone and Deco.
    Since the nokia phone is the only device that suffers the issue, we think the second explanation could be more correspondent with your situation."

The tp-link deco M4R router chooses the channel and width automatically, and on the 2.4Ghz  usually chooses channel 9 and 40Mhz at my home (this week I noticed it is using channel 5, but always a 40Mhz it seems), I am trying to get tp-link to help me setting up a specific channel and width to try to replicate the ISP router that works fine with the nokia 2.2 (channel 6 and 20Mhz). The ping test (from router to the nokia 2.2. IP) that was run at the same time the youtube app was playing a big video and the tcpdump was running on the tp-link, showed 2 mins with pings, then 2 mins without pings, then the pings started again but we aborted the test ty then (the youtube app complained lack of buffer/connectivity), we don't know if it would keep this in a loop or not.
    In the meantime I got a nokia 4.2 and, as all other devices in my home, also connects and stays connected fine to the tp-link. This is starting to look more and more like an issue with all nokia's 2.2 software (or hardware).
    ✭✭  /  edited October 13
    Managed to get the tp-link on channel 6 and width 20Mhz, the issue is still there.
    There are so many issues with android pie 9 and wifi that I am really inclined to think that there is something very dodgy with the battery savings, at least on the nokia 2.2, that "kill" the wifi, afterall the wifi icon shows connected (confirmed by tp-link) but then the IP of the nokia 2.2 is not pingable and any app that needs internet does not work. After some time, it seems to reconnect fine and everything starts to work again, but the damage is done to some apps (videos stopping, downloads not ending, etc.).
    This does not happen at all on the nokia 4.2 but while both are android one 9, there are very subtle differences between them in terms of software, and huge differences in terms of hardware, can it be that the wifi driver or the battery saving stuff are dodgy on the nokia 2.2?

I'm lost here, and at least I did manage to get a lot of help from t-link, time for Nokia/HMD, can't you just buy a tp-link deco M4R (they are quite cheap, a pair is cheaper than a nokia 2.2) and do some tests on your own?
  • jdi000 jdi000
    ✭✭✭  / 
    @santoscleto. Have you had any luck getting the wifi to improve with the tplink setup you are using?
    ✭✭  / 

@jdi000 no, we tried all types of settings, none worked, the nokia 2.2 just keeps dropping the connection each X minutes, tp-link says "Because as i said before, your issue is a compatibility issue. The compatibility issue is a two-side issue so Deco M4 is not the only one to be blamed. So we recommended that you also contact the support of your nokia phone for further advice."

My nokia 4.2 has no issues whatsoever, but the chipset and even android one are slightly different. The thing here is, while tp-link is willing to work on this, is nokia/HMD looking at this threads and taking any actions on the issues the users report? Because I cannot find any way to pass any information to them, and I am getting tired of these issues and the nokia 2.2's ...
  • jdi000 jdi000
    ✭✭✭  / 

@jdi000 no, we tried all types of settings, none worked, the nokia 2.2 just keeps dropping the connection each X minutes, tp-link says "Because as i said before, your issue is a compatibility issue. The compatibility issue is a two-side issue so Deco M4 is not the only one to be blamed. So we recommended that you also contact the support of your nokia phone for further advice."

My nokia 4.2 has no issues whatsoever, but the chipset and even android one are slightly different. The thing here is, while tp-link is willing to work on this, is nokia/HMD looking at this threads and taking any actions on the issues the users report? Because I cannot find any way to pass any information to them, and I am getting tired of these issues and the nokia 2.2's ...
    That is tough but since these are user forums I doubt the right people are looking at them.  I would keep emailing support with the responses from tplink
    ✭✭  / 
    Ok, I just sent nokia an email thru their support webpage, with also the link to this thread, let's see if I get any answer back. And today, tp-link R&D mentioned they want to connect again to the routers to do further tests, I am just hoping to get some kind of support from nokia side as well.
    ✭✭  / 
    Just finished a teamviewer session with a tp-link R&D person and the issue is no longer there! Nothing was changed BUT this weekend the October android 9 [security] patch applied to all nokias 2.2 (and some days after on my nokia 4.2 as well) and this seems to have definitely solved the issue with my tp-link deco M4R, the videos now play fine till the end and we did not saw a single ping failure (pinging the nokia IP from the deco router).
    So the issue was indeed with the nokia 2.2 software somehow. Let's hope next ones do not bring this back :)
  • Salah6610 Salah6610
    ✭✭  / 
    I have problem with Bluetooth, my phone sometime can not connect to another device with Bluetooth, anyone else has this problem
  • jdi000 jdi000
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Salah6610 said:
    I have problem with Bluetooth, my phone sometime can not connect to another device with Bluetooth, anyone else has this problem
    No have been connecting to several devices without issue.  What device is having trouble connecting?