The glove test! :D

Hi all,Remember the super-sensitive touch which on Lumias which means they could be used whilst wearing gloves?

The glove test! :D

madbilly madbilly
✭✭✭✭  / 
Hi all,
Remember the super-sensitive touch which on Lumias which means they could be used whilst wearing gloves? Inspired by an article from Nokiamob I tested my 8. I had in mind that it was not as senstive as my old 925 because I couldn't really use it in cold weather even when wearing "touchscreen" gloves and with ski gloves it was impossible, whilst I don't remember having such problems with my 925.
So after my testing I can reveal that I can reliably use my 8 with the following materials (I didn't actually have any winter gloves with me when I did this and in any case these test are probably more repeatable by others on their phones):
1. Latex household cleaning gloves (if I press hard)
2. Three layers of a thin cotton hankerchief wrapped around my finger (four layers is unresponsive and glitchy)
3. One layer of polyester sports shorts wrapped around my finger (two layers is unresponsive and glitchy)
Whilst I don't think this is as good as my old 925 would have been, I suppose it is pretty good.
What about your phones? Can you repeat these tests on different models of HMD Nokia phones and share the results with the ret of us? :smiley:
Cheers :)

Comments

• Kartik Gada Kartik Gada
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited August 14
    Nope, this isn't the same one as on Lumias. Yes this is sensitive but it will be same for all other phones which use the same touch panel from that supplier. Nokia's version was much different. I could sometimes hover my finger around 1mm above the display and it used to respond. I have shown the demo to @singhnsk. 😁

I have even used my Lumia 1320 with a matchstick once and once the display recognizes that it is being touched by a different object it would enter the super sensitive mode and respond. That was super sensitive touch.

This is not close to or even similar to the old Nokia tech but is definitely sensitive as the tech keeps improving over time. 🙂
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    I'll have to agree with @Kartik Gada. This is no super sensitivity at all. And I believe is a standard these days. Pick any abc smartphone in the segment and see it perform the same. Well, all of them need to take care of screen protectors which can be thicker at times and hence need enough sensitivity to detect touches even through slightly thicker materials.
    I remember using my OnePlus which would work even with keys at times (not the same Lumia experience obviously).
  • madbilly madbilly
    Hi both,
    I agree, at least with the 8, it's definitely not supersensitive - pens and finger nails don't work!
    So what are the test results with your phones? Come on, get testing! :D
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    madbilly said:
    Hi both,
    I agree, at least with the 8, it's definitely not supersensitive - pens and finger nails don't work!
    So what are the test results with your phones? Come on, get testing! :D
    I did the towel test. :D Two layers of towel gave no issues. After adding 3rd layer the touch didn't respond. 
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Wow! That's pretty amazing, unless it was a very thin old towel! :D.
    Which phone?
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    madbilly said:
    Wow! That's pretty amazing, unless it was a very thin old towel! :D.
    Which phone?
    Nokia 7 plus. 😅
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Okay, 7+ has better sensitivity than the 8. What about other phones, can anyone else do the tests?